5.0 out of 5 stars And it was fun fun fun (I know - sorry!)
Published on 17 Aug. 2008 by Mr. D. J. Underwood

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED AFTER THE HYPE
Published on 13 Jan. 2012 by FastHand

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars And it was fun fun fun (I know - sorry!), 17 Aug. 2008
Mr. D. J. Underwood "Excessional" (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
But it comes from such a catchy song that you just can't help it. But now the album has been released, it's an opportunity to see if 'the song of the summer' is just a one-off or are there other gems there too. And I'm pleased to say that the album is a very welcome surprise. Noah and the Whale have crafted a quirky, original album. The lyrics are witty and perceptive and set in music that is kind of folksy-pop. The singles 5 Years Time and Shape Of My Heart do stand out but only by a notch. All together, the album is a joy to listen to and will leave you smiling. And at just over 42 minutes, it doesn't outstay its welcome either.

4.0 out of 5 stars In five years time - I still enjoy this album, 18 Dec. 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
'Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down' was Noah and the Whale's debut album, and like a lot of people, I bought it on the strength of the top ten hit '5 Years Time', a song that was stuck in my head for at least two hours after the first hearing.

Not all the songs on this album are so up beat and catchy, but some of the best music can be found with the tracks that have darker lyrics. My personal favourite is 'Give A Little Love', which conveys the truthful message that it is unable to be loved without loving first. A very simple story, it nevertheless is a standout, and despite not being as radio friendly as '5 Years Time', would have made a good single. Another good song, that was released as a single and then re-issued again (which '5 Years Time' was), is 'Shape Of My Heart', where Charlie Fink sings about being hurt by a girl before, he thinks now that he doesn't want to fall on love again, but recently has.

Five years later, I can still play this album and enjoy it. Their second album 'The First Days of Spring', and the third 'Last Night On Earth' especially, were far better, but 'Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down' remains a very singable debut with plenty of songs to make you happy, and to reflect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will still love it in 5 years time, 2 Nov. 2008
Johnnie's Mum (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought tickets to see them live in Glasgow last week based on hearing 5 years time. Absolutely loved them. Think they are bit of Jonathan Richman meets the Waterboys sound but they were a true delight. Bought the album after seeing them - uplifting, energising and sensitive. Played it constantly. Love it to death! Think the videos are mental but sweet and make me smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely underrated and exquisitely poetic, 1 Nov. 2010
"Peaceful The World Lays Me Down" is a truly marvellous album. Each song seems to have been written first as a poem before any form of musical influence has been discussed, presenting the listener with beautiful lyrics that comment on life, love, and a realisation of self. There are many who would write these lyrics off as being too "emotional" or "negative", however when the songs are taken as a whole the messages portray themselves as optimistic reflections that encourage a sense of freedom and empowerment. One reviewer has based their "2 Star" report on the hope that each song would resemble "5 Years Time" but this is an extremely unfair interpretation, lacking the creative ability to see past the song that radio stations arguably overplayed. "Shape Of My Heart", "Mary", and "Second Lover" are just three of the songs that Noah and the Whale can be proud of, offering the listener a deep and meaningful few minutes in which to relax. This album is for anyone who considers themselves remotely creative or imaginative. When compared to the newer album "The First Days Of Spring", "Peaceful The World Lays Me Down" truly shows it's class, offering a much more exciting and emotive experience that unfortunately could not be emulated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try!, 21 Aug. 2008
Mr. T. Ford - See all my reviews
I can't agree with the last reviewer who stated that there is one good song and ten whiney ones. That is far from the mark. Some reviews on here may put people off this album because they make out that it is a 'whingey folk album' which paints it as a singer with acoustic guitar scenario. This is wrong. There ARE the odd song like that but they are always supplemented by the gentle backing of Laura Marling. And then you have the other songs which make great use of all manner of instruments. I won't mention 5 years time as everyone knows it by now. The other single Shape of my heart has some nice mexican horns etc, Rocks & Daggers (the best song on the album) has some fiddle and some nice changes in tempo, 2 atoms is another up tempo number. I can see how this album would irritate people, but I think there is more to it than meets the eye. Give it a go, at least listen to it from start to finish before saying it's rubbish! I Like the Wes Anderson inspired videos as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Fun Fun Fun, 25 Jun. 2008
P. Ferguson (U.K) - See all my reviews
Having followed Noah and the Whale for a good few months and having seen them live a couple of times in Manchester i can safely say that they are good. Songs like "Rocks and Daggers", "Mary", "Beating" and the new single "5 Years time" will have you dancing and smiling in seconds.

Live, NATW are pretty special, working the crowds and getting everyone involved with their lively mainly upbeat music. There are also some slower and darker tones to some of the songs and lyrics and they are definately not just your typical pop group.

Including a violin, bass, drums, egg shaker(!), and glokenspiel and music box they create multi-layered sounds that can build into high energy, barn-dancing-esque madness!! This album is well worth buying and is definately going to be album of the summer whenn it eventually gets released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hummable tunes for summers day, 14 July 2009
Grr "Gumbo" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having had `Five Years' stuck in my head for an astonishing length of time, I finally relented and bought this album when I saw it at a good price. Have to say, I really like it as well.

Anyone expecting an album full of tracks like `Five Years' may be disappointed as that is by far the most obvious `pop song' on the album. Not that the rest is at all inaccessible, it is very enjoyable indeed. It has a lazy days of summer kind of vibe going on. Mostly very gentle and eminently hummable tunes, it's a very chilled listen.

I recommend it very highly. Stand out tracks (other than 5 Years): `Shape of my Heart' `Jocasta' & `Do What You Do'. There is no filler on this album, a nice change in itself, but some songs make more of an impact. All in all there is much to enjoy here.

Have to day that the artwork is dreadful though - one of the worst album covers ever. That's a real nit-pick though!

3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED AFTER THE HYPE, 13 Jan. 2012
FastHand (Harefield, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this on the strengh of the reviews that I had read and I must say that I was disapponted after all the hype. The songs were weak and had no strong melodies that made me want to play it again, although I have but with the same responce. It's ok and that is about it. If I was playing my music system on random then I would accept one track but not a whole c.d.
Other reviewers said the lead singers voice was similar to Tom Petty but I could'nt hear it, Lou Reed and Ray Davies certainly spring to mind but not Tom Petty. On the the whole a pretty average album with no real strong melodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the single, 11 Nov. 2008
I feel that the album is actually better overall than the single - tho can only be pleased that the single brought attention. It is a considerable accolade to say that the sound reminds me of one of the best indie bands for many years - Neutral Milk Hotel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Noah wails !, 10 July 2009
Lee Jones (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Absolutely great album. A bit morbid in places, but this is balanced by the up-beat tunes which underpin the album. Great lyrical content .... thought-provoking, and unavoidably catchy ;-) Can't wait for the next album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›