4.0 out of 5 stars FOR THE REVOLUTION!!, 7 Jan. 2009
This review is from: For The Revolution (Audio CD)
Kalmah are a truely wonderful band. Thats something I wanna make clear at the start of this review. Also I want you all to know I've not listened to this album in a while, I'm writting this review simply because no one else has wrote one yet, okay? Good. Lets get started.

This was my first Kalmah album, and as with any band, on first listen your always as critical as possible because, if your like me, you hate finding a new 'favorite' band. The reason I was so critical? My friend said they were as good as my beloved Children of Bodom. That was something that was blasphemy to my ears; however this friend also turned me onto Bodom so I thought, they gotta be worth a listen. The first track I heard by Kalmah is NOT on this album, its called The Blind Leader, and worth a listen if your considering getting into Kalmah. It's the track that made me want to buy their newest release; For The Revolution.

The album opens strong and hard. Some nice palm muting metal chords, and instantly some strong synth bursting in. Yeah. This is good. The title track is no dissapointment, and thankfully is deserving of its name. (Title tracks HAVE to be good; otherwise the band goes down in my opinion.)

Then, the second track kicks in. This is possibly my favorite track on the album. Dead Man's Shadow. This is what Kalmah is all about to me. The highlight of the album, as such. The thing that strikes me is the synth again. Kalmah have really got the balancing on the instruments to a tee here. The synth plays a dominant role and is the main riff during the chorus, and alternates then for the bridges allowing the guitar to take the lead, as it gets turned down slightly. Its these touches that add genius to the song. The subtle changes in volume to allow dominance of the guitar, and then when the vocals return and the guitar has to have its level reduced, the synth is put back up. This song also have a very, VERY catchy middle section. The bridge after the chorus at about 2.20 which leads into the solo is a pure masterpiece. The guitar is reduced slightly so the synth takes the lead, but the guitar still sounds strong. Then the solo comes in, and its mind blowing. Then, a return to the bridge. This song must be downloaded by any metal fan.

Another track worth noting is Ready For Salvation. A great acoustic intro followed by some powerful and solid guitar work, again, with the perfect synth balance.

I could go on forever about the above mentioned tracks; but that'd bore you all. All I can say is; if your not sure whether to get this album, try listening to the above mentioned tracks; if you like them, this'll be a definate hit. If you like synth in your metal; this is a definate hit. The instrument levels are perfect in this album.

Definatly try this if you get a chance.

Thanks for reading,

Spyro

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: For The Revolution (Audio CD)
Very good