5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic follow up to a brilliant debut
Alter Bridge caught my attention after I heard about Creed's split, a band who I had never really valued, but recognised that there was a lot of potential in the sound they were making.

Alter Bridge's first album was a perfectly crafted, pure rock n roll gem, and this follow-up delivers more of the same soaring vocals, chugging riffs and widdly guitar work that...
Published on 20 April 2008 by Master J. M. Heyes

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened?
Although I think the much maligned Creed were a good band, they did not showcase just how good a guitar player Mark Termonti is. This was all resolved on One Day Remains - a strong debut album with great songs and some awesome guitar work.
What went wtong?
Published on 29 Oct 2007 by Mr. B. Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Aug 2014
good

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 29 Oct 2007
Mr. B. Gray "downhill-ray" (London) - See all my reviews
What went wtong?
Blackbird starts well with a strong opening track but then drops to a sub par level and stays there. The songs all sound a bit generic and worryingly nu-metal. The production quality is poor and the album sound like it was recorded in a bit of a rush without finessing some of the obvious quality that you can hear, lost in the mix. There is far too much emphasis on complex yet grungy, down-tuned guitar riffing at the expense of melody. The vocals, which set Alter Bridge apart from Creed, are lost in the bassy fuzz and Tremonti's soloing never touches the spine tingling standard reached on the debut. I will persevere with this as I think Alter Bridge have a touch of class but this looks a bit like 'the difficult second album'

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug 2014
A1

2.0 out of 5 stars good idea - poorly excuted, 27 Mar 2008
S. A. Wilson "No_Logo" (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackbird (Audio CD)
after listening to the first album - (and loving every second of it) i couldnt wait for the release of black bird.
unfortunately - i just cant get into this album at all.
the songs seem to try to be too clever for their own good,
and don't seem as heartfelt as those on "one day remains".
this may be down to the production, and a few problems within the band whils recording.
i do however think that some of the songs will sound amazing live!
and to be fair there are three or four rocking tracks on here.

but album for album - i'll be sticking to one day remains im afraid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but definately not as good as One Day Remains, 9 Oct 2007
E. P. J. Hyde - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackbird (Audio CD)
Alter Bridge are a fantastic band and produced an incredible début album with One Day Remains. I have been waiting for this follow up for a long time and i'm afraid while its good, just doesn't measure up to their first offering.
A fellow reviewer has compared the album to Metallica's Black album and U2's Joshua Tree in terms of how brilliant it is. This is completely ridiculous and i'm certain this in not Alter Bridge at the top of their game. Don't get me wrong this is a great record if you like the genre, but I shouldn't think it's an album that will win over any more fans.
PS. If you get the chance to see Alter Bridge live, do it. The voice of Myles Kennedy is something to behold.

3.0 out of 5 stars C Pass but could do better, 16 Feb 2008
This review is from: Blackbird (Audio CD)
With all of the 5 star reviews I feel I'm bursting the bubble somewhat, but reading a couple of less than 5 star reviews, I feel I share their sentiment.
I haven't bought a Hard Rock album for a little while as there has been little to stand out from the usual formula.
After dipping my toe into the first album "One Day Remains" when it first came out (on the strength of Creed), I wanted to love this band but every time I played the album, I found it difficult to play it right through. Whilst the music is well executed, it sounds the same on most tracks. The new magic sound, or style I'm looking for is missing.
I guess I'm looking for the kick I got when when I first played P.O.D. Satellite (the first few tracks are amazing). It's the wow factor that is missing from Alter Bridge! They are very accomplished as musicians but I can't help feeling they can do much much better.
In "One Day Remains", Myles Kennedy does have impressive vocals and he seems to effortlessly hit the notes. But it seems to me that he doesn't know how to get the most out of it. After a few songs I got tired of his droaning. It's like Maradona when he was 5 stone overweight.
So onto "Blackbird" and given the 5 star reviews I was hoping for a treat. The first track does not disappoint. Ties That Bind hits the spot! Strong riff to start, drums kick in, every now and then the offbeat, deep vocal start, more driving riffs, followed by power in the vocals. That little pause, that explosion of vocal, nothing new, but so well done! Cool!
But sadly the album fades from here...
The only other highlight is "Before Tomorrow Comes". Wow! Melodic opening, deep vocals again, the uplift of the vocals, the power of the song gives you the goosebumps, wahhh a ahhh a a awah, superb. This should be shouting single all the way up the charts!
Rise Today immediately follows but the lyrics remind me of a Def Leppard effort. Oh dear, so close but no cigar.
So what is wrong with this album? It's fair to say it's worth a listen. But how many people who buy it, will sort of initially like it and then shuffle it to the back of their collection.
Alter Bridge are defined by their guitar work and vocals. They need to play back the songs and be ruthless with anything less than perfect. Harsh but fair. Maybe a producer like Mutt Lang can turn them from very good and make the sound great. I'll buy the 3rd album with hope whenever it comes out. I hope the band are critcial with this one

Blackbird