5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the destruction of blink-182, comes something special
Published on 22 July 2006 by Mr. C. M. Sullivan

3.0 out of 5 stars Expect something different from Mr DeLonge!!!
First off, i knew that this album was going to be different from anything Tom has done before, but i really was not expecting it to be this different.

Published on 28 Jun. 2006 by L. Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the destruction of blink-182, comes something special, 22 July 2006
Mr. C. M. Sullivan "craigmarksully" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Before writing a review, I thought I'd take a few weeks to listen to this album. Having commented on the last two blink-182 albums quite soon after their releases, I wanted to hold back, so that my review was more balanced, and not suffering from the whole anticipation excitement. Having done this, I am delighted to say that this album STILL gives me the chills it did when I played Valkyrie Missile for the first time. I've never heard a song so perfect for the opening of an album, and indeed the opening of a new musical era for Tom Delonge and his fans. It has the best build up and pace to it, that you cannot help but lie there in awe when you're listening to it.

I think it speaks quality for every song on the record, that you wish there were more tracks on it. Each song is crafted to perfection, and I can quite confidently say that there are some timeless gems on here. Valkyrie Missile is probably my favourite song as you can probably tell, but other amazing tracks are Do It For Me Now, It Hurts and Start The Machine. The Adventure too is a great point, perhaps only harmed by the fact that because it was leaked so long ago, it doesn't hold the same wow factor as it once did.

AVA's music is a universe away from blink-182, and it's only Delonge's voice (which by the way is at an all-time best) that maintains that link. If I had to criticise it, it would be that some of the songs suffer from over-repetition of lyrics, but this is a minor gripe and I'm clutching at straws.

They say you should always leave the audience wanting more, and Delonge has done this to perfection. Quite simply, this album eclipses many of blink-182's songs, as you can tell how much work has gone into constructing songs level upon level. When I listen back to the blink-182 Greatest Hits album now, I find that only the later tracks like Always and Not Now hold my interest. Many of the others feel lacking in depth (musically & lyrically), and I think it's testiment to We Don't Need To Whisper's quality that I can say this, having lived and breathed blink-182 for a good long time now. Plus-44 have a tough act to follow, yet with a confident optimism (the AVA effect?!) I have a feeling they won't disappoint either! Easily the stand-out album of 2006 so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Incredible, 30 July 2007
C. D. Short "the_cure" (England) - See all my reviews
I remember when i was in my lounge watching the TV and the sound was on mute. Angels And Airwaves 'The Adventure' came up, but the sound was off because my parents were talking. As the video went on, i thought "This looks like a good song", so i turned the volume up and was blown away.
My parents bought me the album for my 18th birthday in February and I have not stopped listening to it since. I haven't even used my iPod for so long because this CD is on ALL THE TIME in my car. It is just fantastic. My favourite tracks are 'A Little's Enough', 'Start the Machine' and 'The War'. Buy this now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect album, 1 Sept. 2007
S. Ball "Sp00nlord" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This album is like all the slower, more mellow Blink 182 songs such as I Miss You, Feeling This etc but far far better, the instrumentals are amazing and the songs themselves truly inspired. It also still manages to remain up-beat and lively at the same time, its perfect for relaxing and chilling out; none of the tracks are really in your face but all are awesome at the same time.

It will just grow and grow on you all the time, and it can survive being played again and again without becoming repetitive. Its slow and calm enough to be unnoticed background music, yet it has enough catchy, lyrical choruses and upbeat instrumentals to make you want to sing along.

Buy. Play. Love. Repeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars *It Hurts* not to like it, 3 Feb. 2007
Michael Addison "Renai Almante" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
When i first heard *adventure* I hated it.However it grew on me later on like the album.The perfect word to describe it is atmospheric as the sound is remiscent to later blink but with more soul and feeling.I feel the lyrical side to the album is superb, Tom gave out his best effort to this with good results!Now after saying that i will tell you this album really does grow on you, it won't hit you straight away and make you think*i love it* but if you have patience you will fall in love with this.I suggest listening to valerie missile,War,start the machine and a little's enough.Enjoy : D

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is a must, 12 July 2006
I heard The adventure on the radio and thought when their album comes out i've got to get it. On first listen i liked it but was unsure. However, after listening a few times and seeing them perform i can say that this album is fantastic. The tracks are epic and moving. every track is great, but the ones that stand out are for me are 'The Adventure', 'The War' and 'A littles enough'. 'The War' is definately the loudest track. There are shades of blinks last album, but this is definately a more mature, thoughtful record then you may expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evoking and Inspirational., 19 May 2006
Josh Stead "Fanbar" (Omagh, N. Ireland.) - See all my reviews
To be perfectly honest, i was never a fan of anything DeLonge had done previously, i am far too into metal for that. but this really is different. Instantly drawing comparisons with the likes of U2 and the cure, this album goes further. some may have slated tom's new direction as self obsessive rambling, but he may truely be onto something here. Upon first listen to this album, there were moments that actualy made me so overcome with the emotions that it conjured. this really is an incredibly emotional record, and instills the listener with sense of hope for the future. Fans of DeLonge's previous works may not like this too much, but i encourage as many as possible to at least give this a listen. Check out The Adventure, The War and Do it for me now. Highly recomended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expect something different from Mr DeLonge!!!, 28 Jun. 2006
L. Clayton (Kent) - See all my reviews

When Blink broke, i think we all knew things may change ie, Travis off doing the Transplants and Tom AVA, i was really looking forward to this album, like BCR i thought this was the way he was going, but instead he has gone for a total change in way things were done.

This is a very different album and won't suit most Blink fans taste, but you can see the band has potential, personally i would like to see a more Rock album rather than the electronic sound that they have gone for but thats the potential, honestly i was really expecting something slightly darker considering background of other band members, cool songs have to be "The Adventure" and "the Gift" also "Valkyrie Missile".

This is worth a place in most CD collections but just may not be what you expect it to be, but being a Tom fan i like anything he does!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AVA, 23 May 2006
A. Rowlinson (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
It's no secret: Tom Delonge hyped this band before a song was even recorded. Most people considered Delonge cocky and arrogant about his powerful self-proclamation--but most people were also excited or at the very least curious to hear what his project would reveal.

I'd have to put myself in the curious, excited group--when a two-minute trailer was posted on their website I was immediately throttled with anticipation for their album. Dark and genuinely moving, the trailer featured clips from the opening track on the record, "Valkyrie Missle," and was as stirring as it was beautiful. Still, it wasn't revolutionary--or significantly "better" than his previous projects--it was just different and pleasant sounding.

When the record finally found its way to my hands, I pushed all my expectations--and even Delonge's expectations--completely aside. I listened through once, twice, three times...and suddenly my 8-hours of work that day were gone. "We Don't Need To Whisper" might not be brilliant, life changing, or radical--but is certainly agreeable in the harmonious sense. Delonge's voice sounds wonderfully full, without the usual snotty rasp--and while some of the more boorish music listeners might call it production tweaking, I simply think of Delonge as an improved singer.

So, while Delonge was successful in transforming his voice to fit the style of his music and while I think there are certain signs of maturity that are obvious on Angels & Airwaves, lyrically, the CD couldn't be much worse. On "It Hurts," Delonge repeatedly utters "It Hurts..." over and over so much it makes your head hurt--and while "Good Day" is certainly my favorite track on this album, musically, lyrics like "I think I like today, I think it's good, it's just something I can't get my head around" nearly make me cringe and turn it off.

For some reason, though, this record keeps playing on repeat in my player. There's something about the atmospheric, obvious U2-influence in the guitars and the way the songs flow that is simply pleasing to the ear--it's harmonious and, in a sense, truly captivating. I wouldn't hesitate to say it doesn't live up to the expectations Delonge set for it--but then again, what would?

All of Delonge's words and hype aside, I thoroughly enjoy this record. There's something strikingly catchy and lovely about it--I'd almost call it the reminiscent, familiar vocal stylings of Delonge. And while, musically, this record sounds like a cross between U2 and Blink 182, it's certainly almost as enjoyable as both bands in its own way. If you ask me, though, Delonge might've been better off surprising us instead of creating something no musician could ever live up to.

5.0 out of 5 stars stevie coss is talking rubbish. this is a great piece of music, 14 July 2006
D. J. BAYES "bayesey" (east of england) - See all my reviews
This is a masterful album mixing the best of Blink 182, Box Car Racer, The Distillers and The Offspring. With Tom Delonge of Blink behind the microphone definate 182 influences rip through tracks "the war", "it hurts" and "do it for me now" brilliantly complemented by smashing drums that seem to power the other members through the tracks. This album is the best of several genres emo, punk and rock combining in a fresh and what should be successful start for angels and airwaves. This should be a fave for new listeners and hardcore fans of blink 182 and offspring alike. Well worth the small deficeit in your pocket for such a diverse album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Way better than I expected, 11 July 2006
A. M. Woodyatt (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Although I recognise that this CD has been long awaited, I just didn't expect too much from it. Personally I felt that Mark was the creative force in Blink182, so was waiting for Plus 44 more than Angels and Airwaves but this CD has really suprised me. It's more Boxcar Racer than Blink 182 but not as dark and more melodic with some great kicking rifts especially at the start of alot of the songs. The tracks have alot of depth due largely to the big drum backbeats which I like, and every song sounds like an anthem.

I think Tom and the boys have done a good job here, and this CD is definately worth the purchase.

We Don't Need To Whisper (UK Version)
Buy MP3 Album£4.99