Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 20 September 2006
Do we need yet another Dusty compilation when the market is already flooded with them ? Well, the short answer is a resounding YES because Mercury finally gets it right by putting out a truly essential compilation with a theme - her Complete A & B sides released in the UK between 1963 and 1970 and the result is simply smashing. Strictly no messing about. The singles are in strict chronological order with the A sides on one disc and the B sides on another. They are also in rare mono - the original singles mix - unless the tapes are unavailable, in which case the familiar stereo mixes are used (eg, Losing You and Little By Little). Some of the hits (eg. Goin' Back) are aurally very different in mono and a special treat. Some of the fades also run on longer than usual (eg, In The Middle Of Nowhere and Some Of Your Lovin').

The non-stop run of hits (plus a couple of unconscionable misses like the funky Northern Soul classic What's It Gonna Be and Clive Westlake's excellent I Will Come To You) on Disc 1 simply leaves you breathless and giddy with joy and admiration at how in the 60s Dusty was faultless in her selection of original material for singles. Songs tucked away on the B sides were almost as good. Four were even written or co-written by her (eg, Once Upon A Time, Something Special, I'm Gonna Leave You and Go Ahead On). My own personal favourite is the little known Goffin & King girl group beat song I'll Love You For Awhile, given a real punchy treatment here.

And you can't ask for more in terms of packaging. Eclipse has used a gorgeous photo of a sooty-eyed Dusty circa 1965 for the front cover and it's just fab ! Complete A & B Sides is truly an essential buy. Hurry, grab yourself a copy.
on 8 August 2010
I admit it - I'm obsessed with Dusty's voice. The A sides will be familiar to most fans. The Bs are a bit more obscure.

A rare chance to visit her entire canon. There will never be another one like her. She could sing anything brilliantly and make it exquisitely her own.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A clever idea and a superb compilation - compiled with affection by BOB STANLEY of SAINT ETINNE - this remastered 41-track 2CD 'Archive Series' retrospective pretty much does what it says on the tin. It lumps together in one cheap and cheerful package all of Dusty Springfield's British 45's on Philips from 1963 right through to 1970. You get the original MONO mixes with the A-sides on Disc 1 and the B's on Disc 2. Here are the Mary Quant mascara lines, Carnaby Street short skirts and perfectly coiffed hairdos...

Released July 2006 - "Complete A And B Sides 1963-1970" is on Mercury/Eclipse Archive Series 0-06024-9838528-9 (Barcode 602498385289) and breaks down as follows:

Disc 1 - The A-Sides - 59:26 minutes:
1. I Only Want To Be With You (November 1963, Philips BF 1292, A)
2. Stay Awhile (February 1964, Philips BF 1313, A)
3. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself (June 1964, Philips BF 1348, A)
4. Losing You (October 1964, Philips BF 1369, A)
5. Your Hurtin' Kinda Love (February 1965, Philips BF 1396, A)
6. In The Middle Of Nowhere (June 1965, Philips BF 1418, A)
7. Some Of Your Lovin' (September 1965, Philips BF 1430, A)
8. Little By Little (January 1966, Philips BF 1466, A)
9. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (March 1966, Philips BF 1482, A)
10. Goin' Back (July 1966, Philips BF 1502, A)
11. All I See Is You (September 1966, Philips BF 1510, A)
12. I'll Try Anything (February 1967, Philips BF 1553, A)
13. Give Me Time (May 1967, Philips BF 1577, A)
14. What's It Gonna Be? (September 1967, Philips BF 1608, A)
15. I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten (June 1968, Philips BF 1682, A)
16. I Will Come To You (September 1968, Philips BF 1706, A)
17. Son-Of-A Preacher Man (November 1968, Philips BF 1730, A)
18. And I The Same Girl (September 1969, Philips BF 1811, A)
19. Brand New Me (November 1969, Philips BF 1826, A)
20. Morning Please Don't Come (February 1970, Philips BF 1835, A)
21. How Can I Be Sure (September 1970, Philips 6006 045, A)
Note: "Morning Please Don't Come" credited to Dusty and Tom Springfield

17. Just A Little Lovin'
18. Earthbound Gypsy
19. Bad Case Of The Blues
20. Spooky
Tracks 1 to 20 above are the B-sides of 1 to 19 and 21 on Disc 1. The B-side of Track 20 on Disc 1 is called "Charley" and is a Tom Springfield solo number - hence it's not included on this compilation.

The 16-page booklet has great Bob Stanley liner notes, period photos of our hero in black and white and colour (the centre shot is a winner), trade adverts, rare picture sleeves and tracks lists (without discography). It doesn't say who remastered the tracks - but the project was co-ordinated by DARYL EASLEA who is a name familiar to me (he's done loads of compilations for Universal) - and these Mono mixes pack a punch. It has to be said they take some getting used to after all these years of Stereo versions - but this set is aimed at collectors - and the original mixes are unavailable to my knowledge anywhere else - so a job well done.

Once you get past the overly-familiar hits - "I Only Want To Be With You", "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" and "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" (and their laden Phil Spector productions) - you start to hit those lesser heard nuggets like the Bacharach/David vibe of "Losing You" and the gorgeous Goffin/King classics "Goin' Back" and "Some Of Your Lovin'" - all of them imbibed with a wonderful soulfulness. There's clever lyrical spats too in "I'm in the middle of nowhere...getting nowhere with you..." - while big hankies and even bigger strings dominate the likes of "All I See Is You", "Give Me Time" and "I Can Close My Eyes And Count To Ten" - pleading tearjerkers par excellence (most written by Clive Westlake).

Musical change was on the horizon - and wisely Dusty moved forward. There's a better groove to the Jerry Ragovoy-penned "What's It Gonna Be?" - but the masterpiece here is of course "Son-Of-A Preacher Man". The strings are gone - the kitchen-sink melodrama ditched - smartly replaced with slinky keys and the Memphis Horns. I must admit that after years of hearing Rhino STEREO versions - the Mono mix feels a tad bare - but the `punch' is still as great and the song just never dates. We get a fabulous cover of "Am I The Same Girl" -a song made famous by Barbara Acklin on Brunswick in March 1969. "Am I The Same Girl" (penned in part by Eugene Record of The Chi-Lites) is a vocal version of a superb instrumental "Soulful Strut" released December 1968 on Brunswick by The Young-Holt Unlimited. Dusty takes that great soulful groove and gives it a British Female Voice - seduction and class effortlessly combined.

There's a Northern Soul strut to both "Little By Little" and "What's It Gonna Be" (sought after singles for this reason). A good choice is Jerry Butler's "A Brand New Me" which Aretha would also cover on her "Young, Gifted & Black" album on Atlantic in 1972. Dusty keeps that same easy Soulful feel - lovely stuff. Things go all Folk with "Morning Please Don't Come" - credited to Dusty and Tom Springfield (written by Tom) - it more wimp than champ. Disc 1 ends on a far better note (and beautiful production) - "How Can I Be Sure" has an accordion in Paris vibe and makes you wonder will this catchy ditty turn up in a movie real soon.

Her own composition "Something Special" is the first of many discoveries on the B-Sides Disc 2. We get all Dixie Cups with "Baby Don't You Know" featuring a great vocal from Dusty - but seeming to suit her style - we get a Goffin/King mid-tempo bopper "I'll Love You For A While" that lifts proceedings considerably. Soul fans will love the Cropper/Hayes/Porter composition "Every Ounce Of Strength" while "I'm Gonna Leave You" is the kind of classy flip you'd expect from a classy lady (it was also an early songwriting credit for Lesley Duncan). Written by Madeline Bell and Dusty - the Motownesque "Go Ahead On" has long been a dancehall B-side killer. Bacharach's "The Look Of Love" is typically gorgeous while "The Colour Of Your Eyes" is probably the loveliest inclusion here. "Just A Little Lovin' (Early In The Morning)" is the ace B-side of a "Son-Of-A Preacher Man" making for a perfect 45. Best is kept until last - a slinky cover of "Spooky" - the 1968 Classics IV hit.

To the point, well remastered and tastefully presented - and best of all - less than a five spot from most retailers. Quality and quantity - and I'll wash my highlights in that sink any day of the week...
on 21 September 2010
Wow! I didn't realise how many hits she had. Some songs I had never heard before.The "B" side songs are fabulous. An absolute must for Dusty fans.
on 30 August 2011
This is perhaps the essential Dusty collection (of her 60's material in any case), and is the perfect introduction to Dusty to the un-initiated. Here are Dusty's single releases from the 60's (by and large) in mono as listeners in the 60's would have heard them - and more than likely the mixes that Dusty would have worked on herself (without credit). Even as a Dusty fanatic - it's an album I can play end to end without skipping a track ie. no filler material here! And that includes the B-sides!!
Some of the tracks sound distinctly different, and in some cases quite superior in mono - particularly "You Don't Have To Say you Love Me" (in my opinion), although unfortunately it seems that the mono mixes of some of the singles no longer exist/can't be located and a few stereo tracks sneak in here and there, and "Little by Little", although mixed to mono, is not the same as the 45 release unfortunately.
As for the music itself - it's sublime, intelligent, soulful, could a song like "I Will Come To You" not make a dent in the top ten at least??!! Miss you Dusty!!
on 29 June 2015
What's not to like really?! This is Dusty Springfield the 1960s pop superstar at the top of her game. The CD/download album is a mostly mono selection of the singles and their flips. Some of these monos are remixes but these pack a real punch and, at least to my ears, what they lack in subtlety they make up for in period charm. I am surprised by just how many of these songs I know -even the B-sides (yes, Spooky a B side!) as someone too young to have listened to these on their release. This is an awesome album that makes me realise just how brilliant a pop/soul vocalist Dusty Springfield was. Aside from the really big 'ballady' songs, with equally long titles that everyone probably knows, there are some here that probably should have been as well know (Dusty's cover of 'How Can I Be Sure' is stunning as is her 'Summer is Over').
on 11 May 2013
As a life long fan of Dusty, i have of course all the single 45s, and as the B sides are just as good, it's great to have them all on a CD.With all the A sides and B sides, you could ask for nothing more. I love you Dusty. Gray Owens-John
on 31 January 2012
i am a massive dusty fan and have been since she went solo, as they say the white queen of soul, ahead of her time, cd is great i have most of a sides, but i bought it for the b sides, had these on vinyl, but not anymore, superb album
on 6 January 2013
exactly what I was looking for, and exactly as described. Two discs, A's on one, B's on the other, all in original mono mixes (in fact there is one in stereo, but it was issued as such on the 7"). If only more compilations could be as straight forward; no re recordings, dodgy stereo remixes, no filler tracks, no new tracks to make it attractive to buyers already owning all the hits. One day all compilations will be this way. Oh, and Dusty is marvelous of course, goes without saying!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2011
For this Fantastic Price, Dusty in Mono is a must.Just as originally heard on our Dansettes and pocket radios ,way back when.
Amazon excelled again.Arrived in 1 day.

Its good to see MONO making a comeback ,what with the Beatles and Dylans 60s masterpieces now available again accept they are a bit expensive, not like this Dusty gem..Get this and Dust yourself with the Magic that was Dusty !!