Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.99

It would appear that this album, when released, was something of an afterthought. Abba gold sold millions of copies, so this compilation was assembled for those who wanted a second Abba collection. Inevitably, it is not as strong as Abba gold, as the most obvious songs were all there, but it still easily justifies five stars.

Abba ha more hits than can be accommodated on a single CD, so there are a few hits here, although they didn't chart in all the major record-buying countries. These include Summer night city and Angel eyes (both British top five), Eagle (a big hit in several European countries, but not released as a UK single), I do I do I do I do I do (an early Abba hit in Britain, America and many other countries), Honey honey, When all is said and done (both American hits), Ring ring (their 1973 song which wasn't selected for Eurovision), Head over heels and Under attack, one of their last hits.

The day before you came was the last newly recorded Abba single. It was a minor British hit but it is one of my favorite Abba songs, which would have been a much bigger hit had it been recorded and released a few years earlier.

I am the city was recorded for a new album that never materialised. It is a typically upbeat Abba song, but is one of their rarest tracks. All the other tracks either appeared on original albums, or have been added as bonus tracks to re-mastered versions of original albums - for example, Summer night city is a bonus track on Voulez-vous. Furthermore, I am the city has not appeared on any other compilation (at the time of this writing) except Forever gold, a re-issue of this album and Abba gold as a double-CD. So Abba fans need this CD just for I am the city.

For the more casual music fan, this is a great companion to Abba gold. If you don't have either and you want two CD's of their best music, you might consider some of the more recent double-CD's such as Definitive collection - most of the tracks will be the same, but a double-CD might be better value for money.
22 comments27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2004
ABBA Gold is one of the 10 most lasting albums in the UK chart history. It sold millions of copies and went platinum in numerous countries. That means that More Gold is a realistic extension and another album really worth buying. There are many, many ABBA compilations out there, but this is the one to buy. It is 11 years old now and contains some less known ABBA tracks and most of them were not issued as singles, but were less than available on CD at that time.
Tracks such as Summer Night City (top 10) and Angeleyes (top 10) should have made the GOLD compilation (although Angeleyes is not a great track), and tracks 3,5,11,14,18 also made the top 40.
As you already know, I Am the City was the only song that was exclusive to this compilation and that alone made this album worth buying (and BTW, the song is extraordinary).
The only irritating and unimportant tracks are Our Last Summer and So Long (for some), otherwise many groups would be jealous to have such records to their disposal.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention Eagle as a song that should have been releases as a single. Such a great track.
33 comments23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2000
If your favourite was missed from 'Abba -Gold', it's sure to be here. This CD has more hits, but also a few songs that you may not have heard before, unless you've got the original albums. Songs such as 'When all is said and done' and 'Way old friends do' may not have been smash hits but they're still great songs and they show the marvellous diversity of Benny and Bjorn's song writing talent.
VINE VOICEon 8 October 2003
Some excellant stuff on here, really quite wonderful. There are too many ABBA compilations out there, so knowing who this is aimed at that the others aren't is a bit difficult.
Of the music there is nothing wrong. It basically includes anything that they couldn't fit onto the first one. Favourites for me include, "Summer Night City", "Eagle", "I Do . . .", the brilliant "So Long", "Ring Ring", "Head Over Heels", "Cassandra" & "The Way Old Friends Do"
Also for your delictation is the excellant "I Am The City" which is not so easy to get a hold of.
A great companion to the first volume for all those who like me have their ABBA on the original vinyl and want to sing along in the car(!)
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2010
It has come to my attention that too many homes in the UK own a copy of Abba `Gold` but not `More Gold`. `Gold` has most of the big hits on of course but there was a lot more to Abba than `cheesy disco hits` as I believe one reviewer described `Gold` as.

`More Gold` contains some of Abba`s finest tunes. Yes, really. `When I Kissed The Teacher`, `Summer Night City`, `Honey, Honey` are all top notch pop songs. I`d go as far to say that `Summer Night City` was one of the most powerful and memorable disco pop songs from the late 70`s which was of course full of music from that genre. If you have a decent system stick this on with the volume well up and hear it come to life.

There are many good reasons to add this album to your collection. Head and shoulders above the rest, however, is the song many have described as Abba`s finest hour. Step forward `The Day Before You Came`. This one isn`t that catchy compared to most of the Swedes output, but by golly it`s good! Lasting around five minutes this song is all pretty much the same pace throughout, it has a storyline and depth and shows that the bands songwriting skills had hit an all time high maturity wise. Sadly it wasn`t a big hit at the time but that doesn`t mean it isn`t any good!

When talking quality we shouldn`t really need to mention anything as crass as the price. But have you seen the price? £3.99 as I type this review! What are you waiting for?
on 19 August 2013
After the great success of ABBA GOLD, it was inevitable that there would be a follow up collection of the Swedish groups greatest hits.

Imaginatively entitled MORE ABBA GOLD, this CD contains twenty tracks and runs to just almost eighty minutes in length.

While many of the most famous songs are featured on the first compilation, this follow up features no fewer than seven international number one hits and features the first ABBA success, RING RING, released a full year before the group found fame with its EUROVISION SONG CONTEST win in 1974 with the classic WATERLOO.

As usual, Agnetha and Frida sing the lyrics while Benny and Bjorn play the music and most of the songs are in the quick, rather jolly tempo so common to the group. Notable exceptions include EAGLE and the rather haunting CASSANDRA, one of my personal favourites on the CD. Other highlights are OUR LAST SUMMER (memories of a long ago romance) and THE WAY OLD FRIENDS DO, which has a fine New Years Eve quality about it.

Along with the CD there is also a small booklet giving brief details of the songs listed and a nice collection of both colour and black and white photographs of the group.

All in all, this is a great collection of songs for ABBA devotees and those just wishing to listen to highly enjoyable music!
on 28 November 2007
I have always listened to ABBA growing up and without a single doubt they are my favourite band. Most (if not all) people think this is strange as I am 17 years old.

I first started listening to all the "classics" such as "The Winner Takes It All", "Super Trouper" etc. I then moved on to their less known stuff. This is exactly that - less known really, but unbelieveable. Some of the songs that are included on this album are amazing - why they were not bigger hits amazes me. Angeleyes, Under Attack, The Day Before You Came and I Am The City are particulary fine. The words mean a lot more in these songs and you can really feel it.

So if you are a keen ABBA fan or a fan that just wants to see the bands more mature side this is the album!!
11 comment8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2008
I purchased ABBA Gold a long time ago and was wary of More ABBA Gold because I didn't know many of the tracks as they aren't given much airtime. After seeing Mamma Mia: The Movie, however, I thought I would give it a go - especially at the low price it was on sale for! Whilst it was a bit strange hearing the original versions of the songs I heard for the first time in the movie, I was very pleased with my purchase and listened to it over and over.

Recommended for sure!
on 17 July 2000
I first fell in love with ABBA one song at at time, by first buying Gold. But that was not enough! I had to have More ABBA Gold. When I first listened to it, it was like, "I don't like any of this!" But now, seven years later, I love them all.
Summer Night City is a disco masterpiece, perhaps even ABBA's dirtiest song, with the major question being, "is the F word used at the end of the song?" Angeleyes is obviously a classic, which shows the complexity of ABBA's mulit-layered music, but the tune is simply superb. The Day Before You Came is known to be one of Pete Waterman's favourite songs (the writer of Steps' and Kylie Minogue's songs), it is even more mature and thought-provoking than The Winner Takes it All. Skip to Track 15 and you find the amazing backing vocals and the sheer fun of When I Kissed the Teacher. When All is Said and Done is a more "optimistic" 'divorce' song than The Winner Takes it All and is very mature.
I warn you, if you buy this album, you will be coming back for more, and more, and more, and more!
Just as essential as Gold.
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2010
Bought Abba Gold for my 4 year old daughter in a bid to have something other than nursery rhyme tunes in the car and she loves it (I'm getting sick to death of it now of course!). In a bid to change the record so to speak, I bought this album. Aside from a few notable exceptions, this is not a patch on Abba Gold. It's just a bit dreary.