5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars is not enough.
My CD collection is littered with albums that I buy on the strength of 1 track and never listen to again. And so one sunny day I purchased Amy McDonald's 'This is the Life' after hearing track 1 'Mr Rock & Roll' on the radio. Of course being the first track I assumed that I would listen to it over and over again thinking what utter tosh the rest was.... WRONG...
Published on 30 Oct 2007 by P. Wyeth

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start, but then....
I desperately wanted to love this album. I was all ready to give it five stars before I'd even listened to it. And then...

Published 18 months ago by Mr. S. Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars is not enough., 30 Oct 2007
P. Wyeth "Phil Dubya" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)

By the time you have listen to the first three tracks, `Mr Rock & Roll, the brilliant title track 'This is the Life' and 'Poison Prince' you are hooked. This album is like a drug you just can't get enough of. Every tune is simply brilliant and the production seems to be near perfect, if not perfect. The album works on so many different levels - if you want a good tune and nothing else it delivers, if you want excellent lyrics - it delivers and if you are looking for exquisite vocal then Amy delivers again.

I don't actually anything about Amy McDonald other than she is a master at her craft.

If ever there was just one album to own then this may well be it. 5 stars seems not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - more please, 26 Jun 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Many of these songs have an excellent use of rhythm, beat and bass to create very catchy pop rock, yet retaining the simplicity of singer/songwriter style folk music. My roots are in 70s/80 rock music and yet I really love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best album I've bought in recent years, 2 Mar 2008
Simon Watkins (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
...and perhaps the most listened album in my collection. Over an over you'll read that there isn't a dud track on here. I'll echo that - I have my favourites and you'll have yours, but the standouts for me are Run, Mr Rock and Roll, This is the Life, L.A, Footballer's Wife. She should go far, and I eagerly await her second album. Almost with trepidation as it is hard to imagine a better album than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look forward to more..., 7 Feb 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Amy MacDonald is a Scottish singer/songwriter who is currently very successful - and with good reason. She has a gorgeous voice, which she doesn't strive to mask with a faux-American accent as many British acts have done. Her voice has a real depth and timbre to it that many older singers would struggle to match. However, her songwriting is where many people will focus. She has a very mature writing style, with lyrics that are perceptive and thoughtful. The arrangements of all of her songs are a joy to listen to. This is the kind of female artist we need more of - her catchy, eloquent songs could teach her unreasonably popular, mockney-accented peers a thing or several about how to create wonderful music that can be appreciated by audiences of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Futures bright for Scotlands newest star, 31 Jan 2008
H. Phillips "Prophet Tielo" (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Up until a week ago I hadn't even heard of Amy Macdonald my head had been buried for so long in the reggage genre that I had given up on finding any talent that would drag my attention back to any other scene and then someone mentioned Amy, I was almost a throw away comment one of those "Have you heard of this girl, you may like her,"

May like her has turned out to be one of the most underated statements I have ever heard.

I don't remember the lsat time I heard an artist that has determined I instantly rush off in search of her albums and dash out for tickets, I live down in Wales and failed for the Bristol concert and so had to go to Wolverhampton, would I have gone to Portsmouth for one night, for yes a resounding yes, in fact I was considering travelling to Europe if all the Uk tickets had been sold.

Such energy and insight from someone so seemingly down to earth and every song guaranteed to the hairs on the back of your neck standing up.

Other reviews have concentrated on the tracks and so I won't, all I will say is this stunning album shows the mark of a woman who is destined for international acclaim.

Lets hope she avoids the downfalls of other stars like Winehouse and Dougherty because the dimming of this star would be a huge loss for everyone.

Long may she contiune to shine

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start, but then...., 11 Jan 2013
Mr. S. Lawson (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)

...and then I listened to it. The first few tracks are brilliant. Such a unique voice and style and obviously a gifted song writer. And then...they all started to sound the same. The problem is that she HAS such a unique voice, and everything starts to sound very samey after a while. I notice this in art galleries when you see lots of works of art together in one place - individually they are fantastic; pulled all together into one place, they all start to look the same.

I am gutted by this. I'll be checking out later albums to see if she's expanded her range at all. I think she has terrific talent and - on the basis of this - is so close to deserving all the plaudits she gets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a fab album, 27 Jan 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Bought on a whim as had good reviews. Def not disappointed, totally fantastic album. Brightens up my day and has me singing in the shower. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good album! (Couldn't think of a better title, sorry!), 25 Jan 2008
Y. Jones "devonshire lass" (Barnstaple, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums I've heard in ages - not much to say other than that really, except I'm looking forward to her next release! My favourite has to be the cutting 'Footballer's Wife tells her trouble and strife, thinks she's some kind of star, yes you know who you are..........'! The songs are mainly upbeat and have lyrics that the listener can associate with, whilst not being too aggressive or in - your - face. Definitely one to watch out for.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2007, 14 Jan 2008
Jeffery J. Forster (bristol, north somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
A great album no track dissappoints. The more you play it, the more the lesser known tracks grow on you. My favourite track is 'Run' - a classic song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Jan 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
This debut album from the scottish singer/songwriter hits all the right buttons. since i got the album i have listened to it exclusively on repeat. her lyrics are well thought out and meaningful, each with a clear message. the youth of today is a song which many young people can relate to, being about the conflicts between the younger and older generations. my personal favourites on this album are run and let's start a band. both of which are sung beautifully and with enormous character.
definately the best album that i have heard in a long time.

This Is The Life