Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 5 October 2005
Some of the guitar and keyboard sounds on this album are a bit strange. I reckon the production was playing with the then new technology for the sake of it. Don't let that put you off one bit. We have here Quo of the highest order, all the variety and quality of their more widely acknowledged stuff. Again and Again is of course a golden hit but Accident Prone the other single was catastrophically overlooked. If IYCSTH is the gap in your Quo collection fill it now or forever remain incomplete!
on 16 October 2005
After hating this album ( along with Rockin'...) when it was originally bought, I recently re-bought it,as part of the marketing ploy which is the reissues. Purely for 'Again & Again' I put it on and was pleasantly suprised. The tracks which I felt were unlistenable to originally are actually, quite good, and probably un-Quo like. It's quite a varied album with a bit of full on Quo thrown in for good measure. I wont do it down no longer. Shame the reissues didn't include any other bonus material aside from the ' Accident Prone' edit. It would be nice to hear to more experimental ( yes, experimental ) Status Quo.
on 23 June 2013
I ordered this because I really fancied a trip down memory lane. My wife (then girlfriend) bought me this when it first came out. I was a Quo fan at the time, and we were living away from home in a single-roomed bedsit with nothing much except a new music centre (remember those?) we bought on impulse, and precious little music to play on it. There are some good songs on this album, though it has the beginnings of the style I fell out with soon after - I prefer the older, more blues-based earlier albums. Strangely, the tracks that stand out for me are Stones and the quieter track Someone Show Me Home, which stuck in my head for years. I cannot think why they haven't released more of the quieter ballads on their many compilations. And I cannot talk to anyone called Linda without thinking in my head the catchy words and music to Long Legged Linda. It has the old favourites Accident Prone, which I liked at the time, and Again and Again, which I remember thinking they'd got lazy in coming up with words for the chorus, but on re-listening to it I find it's not so bad after all. I admit it's not my favourite Quo album (ah, good old Dog of Two Head - they don't make them like that anymore!), and at the time I thought they seemed to be losing their way a bit - a little like Alan Lancaster, their bassist felt, too - but they'd found their niche, I guess, and were sticking to it. All in all, it's an album that doesn't challenge anything musically, and don't expect challenging lyrics, but as a piece of music nostalgia I admit to smiling all the way through it and singing along to it. So is it good? That's hard to say. People who hate Quo will most probably loathe it. But forget them, they're far too critical and snobby, going on about three chords etc (such and untruth, as well - ever tried playing some of their MANY chords?); it's an album that's got some good old singalong songs on it, and it's as much a part of my life as flares, long hair and denim used to be. So for me, I don't care what people say, I like it!
on 28 April 2013
You only have to read the reviews on here (for a 1978 album!) to see why the band had to grow a hard skin very early on. Criticised for "doing the same thing" guess what happens when they experiment a little? Just listen to the lyrics of "Again and Again". Some of the material on this album was ahead of its time for Quo. You have to remember what a huge hit "Rockin' all over the world" was to understand why "If you can't stand the heat" got a bit lost through no fault of the material. Plus there was some beautiful and chart-changing music released from others in the same year (e.g. Kate Bush, Gerry Rafferty) and so far as "pop" goes Saturday Night Fever was the biggest selling album that year - Grease Lightnin', yeah right.

Turan Audio has done a great job remastering IYCSTH and I really enjoyed listening to it again - plus I can now limit the plays on my original vinyl copy. I like Status Quo a lot, preferring the earlier and mid 70's era but if you want to enjoy the sound of the band from the late 70's just buy this - it's a cracking album.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 February 2010
If you cant stand the heat,dont worry this lukewarm production wont burn you!Stuck between 2 classic albums this is a bit of a disappointment.Opening with a typical Quo belter 'Again and Again' complete with guitar heroesque solo from Rossi your unprepared for the two clunkers to follow,namely 'Givin Up My Worryin & Gonna Teach You...',thankfully the bar is raised with the countryish 'Someone Show Me Home' and the boogiefied 'Long Legged Linda'
Side 2 of the original disc opened with the best track on the album 'Oh What A Night',next up is the worst track on the album,the apalling 'Accident Prone'which sums up everything wrong with album in one track!.The equally weak 'Stones' follows and drags the disc down further.We finish on a slight high as the quality rises with 'Let Me Fly' and 'Like A Good Girl' complete with horns and backing singers,showing when their heart was in it Quo could still rock.

Ultimately this is a disapointing album,lacklustre performance,average songs,electronic drums/percussion(sounded crap then still crap now)

Bonus track: single edit of Accident prone,unbelieable! as the public didnt want it then,why would they want it now? the first Quo single in years not to breach the top 20.

Saw the band at the Glasgow Apollo May'79,this was the then current album and they only played 'Oh What A Night',shows what the band thought of the album.
on 17 April 2013
Cleaned up Quo.

The sound on this album is heavily produced and 'cleaned up', a sound which suits their material from the 90s more than the 70s. Francis Rossi's country leanings also start coming to the fore.

I'm not a huge fan, although there are some good tracks such as 'Accident Prone', 'Oh What A Night', 'Long Legged Linda' and 'Like A Good Girl'. 'Stones' is also a pleasant surprise.

Ultimately, they were trying too hard to blend their rock/boogie sound with an up to date (for the time) mix, with only partial success, in my opinion.
on 20 April 2016
Released in 1978 by the original 4 members this is a must have STATUS QUO album on cd. The big song on it is AGAIN AND AGAIN a big uk hit single at the time. The keyboards of ALAN BROWN start to play a bigger part on this album and for me they played a too bigger part on later albums as QUOS music got lighter. The last gr8 QUO album was 1982 after that they got too poppy, only recently have they rocked up again apart from acoustica of course. This is the 2005 remaster and cost me less than £4 which is gr8. They have released this cd and others as deluxe dbl cds but that just adds demos, live songs, nothing that adds to this albums gr8 sound.
on 1 March 2006
Some people felt that, with this release, the wheels were starting to come off the Status Quo express, as If You Can't Stand The Heat is - to me, at least - the weakest album of this period.
Part of the problem is the production. If You Can't Stand The Heat was the second album to be produced by Pip Williams, and this time around it does show. A lot of the 'traditional' Quo sound seemed to have been taken away.
A few of the songs here are weaker too - certainly not up to Quo's previous standard and, whilst on 'Rocking All Over The World' the strength of the songs came through any production problems, on If You Can't Stand The Heat, where some songs are not as strong, it does show out more.
That's not to say that this is a bad album, though - far from it. 'Again and Again' is a top class tune. This was the first single to be released from the record and is still played in their live set even today.
Also, 'Let Me Fly', 'Long Legged Linda', 'I'm Giving Up My Worrying' and 'Gonna Teach You To Love Me' are all very good songs and, in my view, would have made much better singles than what Quo actually released: 'Accident Prone' - in my view, the weakest song on the album, and poorly produced.
Nevertheless, If You Can't Stand The Heat is still a very good album, and still leagues better than their later Pip Williams produced records!
on 23 February 2011
Still sounds great after all these years and is good now as when I first bought the album on release (somewhere in the garage).
on 27 May 2016
quality update
loved the demos on cd two
needs to be heard
don't just take my word for it
get it bought