5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime
Wow, this was the album that got me into Metallica. Often fairly simple but it works on a primal level. Enter Sandman is legendary, I need not say more.
Sad but true, simple, a repetitive beat and easy to pick up lyrics.
Holier than though picks up the pace a little, not the best here but a good song nonetheless.
Unforgiven. Classic.
Wherever I may...
Published on 21 Sep 2007 by genejoke

3.0 out of 5 stars exit Cliff: enter Sandman
depending on how far you'd come with the band by the time they released this commercial high point, this is either a sad denouement to the exhilarating first trio of albums and the patchy AJFA, or it's the reason you got into the band in the first place, and therefore beyond reasonable criticism.

let's face it, for all the familiarity the rock world now has...
Published on 21 July 2006 by Nick Lawrance

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 21 Sep 2007
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
Sad but true, simple, a repetitive beat and easy to pick up lyrics.
Unforgiven. Classic.
Wherever I may roam. brooding and menacing. great stuff. slow versus building up to a powerful chorus.
Don't tread on me is a defiant track which thunders along.
Through the never. Again speeds along, before slowing for Hetfields vocals which he spits out with his usual ferocity. Not the greatest metallica track.
Nothing else matters. Classic rock ballad. Emotive guitar works, sedate drumming and genuinly good vocals that show hetfield isn't just a grunter.
Of wolf and men, comes thindering in after and states in no uncertain terms that metallica havent gone soft. The guitar riff is full of power and is unforgettable.
God that Failed, enters with drum and bass before guitars echo in building to a typically metallica riff.
my friend misery, begins with a haunting guitar, that is joined by the rest of the band soon after. Hetfields vocals are a little more subdued here, giving a potent effect.
struggle within, closes the album, beginning with a marching drum beat, before kicking into very fast vocals for the verses. Possibly the weakest track present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overrated (possibly) but still a five star performance�, 4 Oct 2005
Mr. D. A. Cure "Sir Danalot" (Droitwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
They're all here - Sad But True, Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters, and of course Sandman. Its good - in fact its great, but in my humble view ...And Justice for All was their finest hour, so it doesn't quite match that album, and by this stage they'd lost their speed and technicality. Having said that, this is one of those seminal albums that will stand the test of time as a classic like Nevermind, Appetite for Destruction, 4 Symbols, and Dark Side of the Moon. My personal favourite is Don't Tread on Me, which sums up their essence in its harmonised lead riff, and strong Hetfield Chorus. Often cited for its great production, it features a far more standardised production than its predecessors, which gives it a bigger sound, but I guess this was a reaction to the unfair criticism over the lack of reverb on Justice. This is a great album that any fan of guitar-based music should own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Metallica's finest yet still worthy of 5 stars, 8 July 2007
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
This review seems almost a pointless exercise as a) everyone probably owns this and b) most people say this is Metallicas finest work. Well I disagree with the latter reason. I love this album and gave it a truly deserved 5 (probably be a 9/10 if that was an option) but that is listening to it on its own merits, ie being adult about it. Listening in a little more childish manner this would be rated as a Metallica album and therefore compared to their other work. This album is far superior to St Anger, but then so was Take That's last effort I imagine. It is the best of the "new" more abbreviated Metallica which includes Load and Reload but it pales somewhat next to the previous 4 outings, especially master of Puppets which has to be the pinnacle for the band musically if not commercially. This album brought Metallica into the mainstream and found them lots of new fans but I will always remember this as the beginning of the end for the band. One reviewer compares this to Back in Black, I agree, that album is also excellent but not the bands (AC/DC) finest and also the start of something new and not altogether wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Metallica: The Black Album, 1 Dec 2003
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
A brilliant album for this great metal band. This is one of those albums that you can listen to all the way through without stopping. Every song on this album is great but these are my faves.
Enter sandman: Spooky tune, perfect lyrics, sweet intro, and one of the greatest guitar solos in the history of metal.
The Unforgiven: Slower than what were used to, but thats not a bad thing. This is one of the most beatiful rock songs ever.
Nothing else matters: Slow and melodic. a beautiful piece of music. Even though the song is slow the band still manages to get a guitar solo in the song.
The struggle within: Old school, fast paced metal. classic Metallica, with a wicked intro.
Sad but true: Heavy with wicked lyrics, what more can I say?
Wherever I may roam: A cool tune and sweet lyrics and a somewhat egyptianized intro which is weird, but it suits the song good. So in short, a wicked song.
The Black album is the perfect album for Rock fans.
If you like this album you should check out "Master of Puppets"

5.0 out of 5 stars Off to never never land, 7 Feb 2007
L. D. Styles (Crawley, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metallica [DVD AUDIO] (DVD Audio)
The music on the album is obviously brilliant, I think we are all agreed on that.

When I got this album I first listened to it in 5.1 which was fantastic.

Then I played it through my DVD-A player. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! This album is mixed so well. On the first track Enter Sandman the difference between the 5.1 mix and the DVD-A is very different. The DVD-A mix is more complex with more layers of vocals (The line " Off to never never land" is whispered out of the back speakers instead of being sung through the front)and more phat guitar riffs coming out of the rear speakers. The sound is so full and crisp.

This album is worth buying a DVD-A player for.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is just totally awesome, 22 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
while studying at college, i started talking to one of my friends who said that he had a discussion with a lecturer of his about music. they got onto the subject of "The Black Album" and how it was the best metal album ever. The lecturer didnt actually like metal music but said this was a good album. I had never really been a heavy metal person myself but heard a couple of the songs from the album while in my friends car, i thought to myself ill buy thisto see if it is any good. so i waited for the price to drop before i bought it. I must say that it is the second greatest rock/metal album ever. Enter Sandman is very catchy and easy on the ears while still maintaining its ability to get you to headbang. since buying this album it has only been taken out of my cd player so that i can listen to the darkness and i bought that yesterday. So buy this album and see how amazing it is!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kirk = Genius!!, 14 May 2003
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
This album is a masterpiece. The fact that they have created so many different types of song for this album justify my thoughts. Take 'Wherever I May Roam' for example. this song sounds completely different from the hard hitting 'The Unforgiven' but both are genuinely fantastic. Kirk does not flaunt his overwhelming guitar playing skills like he did in Justice, MOP and Ride, but he does create solos that really stay in your mind, and can be easily emulated by a learner guitarist. James has a low growl in the album, which contrasts to the high songs in Ride and MOP, but adds to the effect of the album. Basically, if you dont have this album and you like heavy metal, GET IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's black, it's "BAD",and it kicks your ass!, 3 Dec 2002
Milt Ingarfield "milt_fm" (Arbroath, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
If it is at all possible to hear the colour black this is it. From the slow build up of the opener "Enter Sandman", this band of audio terroists beat up your ears with what must be described as black sounds.
What sounds they are, superb playing from all quarters,especially the bass and drums which keep a rock steady beat going, which is the perfect counterpoint to the "over-driven" guitar sound.
The perfect soundtrack to a crazy house party where anything goes, just crack up the volume to the max and watch the carnage. This is great stuff, appeals to the animal within us all, buy if you dare!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy metal, eh? I love it!, 16 Jun 2002
Henry (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
This brilliant album from Metallica converted me to the heavy metal genre. Before I heard this masterpiece, I didn't think much of said genre, but after its sound graced my bedroom, I was a changed man.
Opening up with "Enter Sandman", which starts off with a delightful guitar riff, never fails to blow me away. Following up from that is "Sad But True", which has the same effect as "Enter Sandman".
Then there is "The Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters". These two tracks slow things down a little, the latter being my favourite track on the album. It's a very emotional track with lyrics that are easy to sing along to, plus the coolest guitar solo I have ever heard, even better than that of "Hotel California" (by the Eagles), except more short, sharp and sweet.
The album finishes with the lighting speed guitar work of "Struggle Within", which always gets the head banging, and the hands mimicking a guitarist.
Now I listen to the likes of Iron Maiden and Manowar, having previously listened to bands like Stereophonics and Toploader.
Anyone could love this album: I know I did =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a superb album, 19 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
Heed not the disparaging reviews of of people who obviously wanted more of the same from Metallica. The world has left them behind, like the punks and the hippies. This is a brilliant metal album... and it's NOT pop. Pop is S Club 7 and Kylie. Even a tone deaf biker ought to be able to tell that. The structures are simpler, but this has the effect of focussing the songs and making them more powerful - and they aren't really that much shorter. This album is a brilliant collection of songs with excellent writing from a band the world didn't think could do it.
PS I'm not just some teenybopper. I like all Metallica's early albums plus Load as well (but not Reload).

Metallica