5.0 out of 5 stars True talent!
First thing I noticed about this Album was the fact that it was just thirty-five minutes long - a plus for me, since I'm so tired of over-long and boring Albums geared to make us think we are getting more for our money... (more rubbish perhaps!) This Album does anything but bore the Listener, and Amy Winehouse certainly knew the key was to have short bursts of quality...
Published on 3 Aug 2011 by FAMOUS NAME

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm...
Now I love the Winehouse - as much a description as it is a name these days - and I think 'Back To Black' is a fantastic modern soul record that I would not hesitate to award five stars. Amy's voice sounds phanominal on her second album and Mark Ronson's production - despite, as we have seen with his own album 'Versions', adding horns to things being the only thing he can...
Published on 8 Nov 2007 by John Tansey

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Senior Amy Winehouse Fan, 17 Jan 2011
Madame Barbara "artemis" (France) - See all my reviews
If person of 60+ (like myself) can rave about this artist (and I do), I think it says something about the universality of her music. THis voice will outlive 90% of the so-called stars of rap today. I know about her life-style but I think she is interesting, complex and touching in spite of it and I wish her the best of luck in dealing with her problems. I hope no one is put off from listening to or buying the album because of tabloid hysteria, the muckrakers should just leave her alone. And the video clips on the Web are fantastic too. Rock on Amy !

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulfully frank - but don't be her boyfriend!, 4 Nov 2006
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
Having grown to love the exquisite sweet-sour cocktail jazz of Frank, I was almost in trepidation to hear what Amy Winehouse had delivered more than 3 years after her legendary debut album. Gone soul, said the reviews, but just as frank as ever.

After 3 days of playing the new album non-stop in my car, I'm delighted to report that Amy is none the worse for her soul 'n' ska trip, though I do miss the jazzy bits. Parts of Back to Black almost stand as a 60s Motown album, had Phil Spector been allowed out of prison to help with the production. Amy nods to her influences, even calling one track 'Me and Mr Jones' after the great Billy Paul number. The melodies are often delicate and delicious, the doo-wop harmonies and horns vintage, and Miss W is in fine voice, her Marlboro & whisky-stained vocals just adding a tart and sassy edge to counteract the melodic sweetness, which in some hands might have become cloying and sickly.

However, she remains however distinctly larger than life - the lyrics, thoughtfully printed here on the inner sleeve, would have been censored within seconds, had anyone ventured to write them in the 60s, Her life is so completely within the public domain you wonder what secrets the poor girl has retained, but on the evidence of her output to date the only thankless task is that of being her current boyfriend - they receive short shrift and withering contempt!

This is a fine collection, well worthy of its excellent predecessor. I just wish her influences could expand beyond the medium to become a unique Winehouse style rather than apeing other styles, no matter how well it's done. No doubt that will come in time...

5.0 out of 5 stars The bonus CD is brilliant, 18 July 2008
Knight "Maverick2008" (London) - See all my reviews
Never really knew much about Amy until I saw her on Glastonbury 2008 and boy I was hooked. She's not just some spaced out horrid junkie kid. She is a crazy, mixed up kid who lacks guidance and is flat out on the road to perdition and someone should stand up and help the poor kid. Get rid of the losers & goldiggers in her life.

This album has real soul. The voice is one in a billion and her rendition of some old classics on CD2 is priceless. Grab it while you can and long may she reign. She hit me like Elvis, Billie Halliday, Nina Simone she is a real mix of pure class and thank god we can bottle her voice and sell it these days.

PS: I'm middle aged now and I know all the original versions as well so that's saying something. Grab this one you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonus CD tracks, 10 Dec 2007
F. A. Penney "Fraser Penney" (Edinburgh, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
Well, I have nothing to add to the previous reviews... they're all true and this must be one of the greatest albums of recent years.

The Bonus Disc has this track listing, slightly different from the description & also a slightly different order from what it states on the packaging:-

Valerie
Cupid
Monkey Man
to Know Him Is To Love Him
Hey Little Rich Girl
You're Wondering How
Some Unholy war
Love Is A Losing Game (original demo)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for this!, 27 Jun 2007
Laura (Worksop, Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
I've only just recently become a fan of Amy Winehouse, I've always liked her mature sounding, jazz voice but I never thought her songs were up to that much. But then I listened to the single ' Back To Black ' and I fell in love with it, and so I had to buy her album.

I'm really impressed. Her songs, like some reviewers have said, have a feel of old fashioned pop along with jazz and soul which I really like and I've even got my dad to listen to it and even he agrees it's good and something he'd listen to, which can't be bad can it?.

My favourite tracks are:

Rehab

You Know I'm No Good

Back To Black

Wake Up Alone

Some Unholy War

I like all of them, but these are the ones, what for me, stood out the most.

Highly recommend it and for any age group, you'll be dead chuffed with it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Sweet and Not Too Short, 2 Mar 2007
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
A truly excellent, modern soul album. Much of this is down to the restraint shown throughout: sensitive arrangements, no melismatic over-singing, and songs that finish before they wear out their welcome.

The result is an album that you want to play again as soon as it has finished - and how rare is that these days? Criticism of its 35-minute running time (and grand annoucements about "docking stars" for being too short) surely miss the point: music should not be assessed by duration any more than art should be measured by the yard.

5.0 out of 5 stars You simply must own this album., 10 Jan 2007
E. Mackintosh "lifedrinker" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
When people describe this album, you'll heard words such as "jazz" bandied around - but DO NOT let that put you off. I've never been a jazz fan and the association with that genre of music (and also the association with Radio 2's easy listening culture) put me off this album. But I was so wrong. This album is incredibly listenable, gritty, gutsy and lusty. I love every song on it. When the album tracks are better than the singles, you KNOW an album is worth buying. That is true of "Back To Black".

The song "Tears Dry On Their Own"... it's only the 9th day of 2007 but already I reckon that's the best song of the year. This album is upbeat without the schmaltzy phoneyness of some of the stuff littering the pop charts; sincere without being remotely depressing; Winehouse's voice at times has the greatness and resonance of Shirley Bassey, particularly on the track "Back To Black".

Ignore what people say about Winehouse - drugs, rehab or otherwise, the girl's voice is incredibly clear, soulful and true. You will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars The disc was advertised as new but in fact was second hand and quite torn, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Back To Black [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The disc was not new,it was used and its covers were torn.
The disc itself sounds ok,but it was not as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Black Amy Winehouse, 1 Sep 2011
Mr. C. Benson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Black [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Bought this on vinyl as opposed to cd because I prefer the sound, Read some iffy reviews regarding sound quality compared to the cd but bought anyway.
The sound quality of it on my system is absolutely fine.The album itself is very good.Just a terrible shame her passing away at such a young age.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP Amy, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Back To Black [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Sad news that someone with obvious talent has passed away.
Gone to soon but at least we've been left with this album which is without doubt a modern classic.
Thanks Amy

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›

Back To Black (Bonus track)
Buy MP3 Album8.49