5.0 out of 5 stars Well it converted me...
Published on 23 Feb. 2008 by Red Devil

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Compilation
Published on 5 Feb. 2008 by S. Skilton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Compilation, 5 Feb. 2008
S. Skilton "D Skilton" (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is really quite a poor compilation. It it has a handful of old songs(Suedehead, Everyday etc) and the rest are from his two recent albums and a couple of new tracks. If your someone who is looking for a decent best of, get "Suedehead:The Very Best Of Morrissey". Admittedly this album has nothing from his last two albums, though your not missing much with "The Ringleader Of The Tormentors". Other than that I highly recommend the albums: "Viva Hate", "Your Arsenal", "Vauxhall and I", the live album "Beethoven was Deaf" and "You Are The Quarry".

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it converted me..., 23 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I was someone who couldn't stand Morrissey, thought he was miserable and only made music to slit your wrists to. Then this album was put on the playlist where I work. Well I found myself singing along and,yes,actually loving the music. Some people have made the point that this album is ok for the "casual" Morrissey fan but I think it's fantastic and it definitely made a convert out of me! If like me you think you don't like Morrissey just give this album a go. You won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A no-thrills collection of most of Morrissey's best selling singles, 11 Feb. 2008
Alan the Kaz (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Many have criticised this compilation for containing much of Morrissey's new material and not enough of the classics. But really, it just so happens to be the case that most his 'hit' singles are from the latter period of his illustrious career. So, as a "Greatest Hits" compilation, it does the job that it sets out to do.

If you're after a good sampling of Morrissey's most mainstream and radio-friendly songs, then look no further than this compilation. However, if you want a good all-round idea of what Morrissey is about, then may I suggest that you instead pick up "Suedehead: The Best of Morrissey" or the U.S. import "The Best of Morrissey"?

The songs on this album are, for the most part, excellent; from the blistering and dynamic opening track, "The First of the Gang to Die", to the powerful melancholy close, "I Have Forgiven Jesus". There is, pretty much, only one real clunker on this compilation: the unmemorable live cover to the Patti Smith classic, "Redondo Beach". But in the end of the day, as good as most of the songs may be, it's a difficult challenge to praise a collection where most of its songs come from only two albums. And that is especially the case when the singer in question has a back-catalogue dating back to the `80s. Yes, these are technically most of Morrissey's "Greatest Hits", but that doesn't make it any less redundant a compilation.

In saying that, it should be pointed out that this isn't even a full Greatest Hits collection for Morrissey at all. The lowest charting song on this is "In the Future When All's Well", one of four songs from the album "Ringleader of the Tormentors". If this song, which charted at number 17 on the U.K. singles charts, can make it onto this Greatest Hits collection, then technically there are three other singles that should be on this too. Forgive me for seeming nitpicky here, but it would have given the album much more diversity and credibility if these songs had been included.

The first of these songs is "Interesting Drug" which, frankly, I don't think anyone would shed a tear to see omitted, even if it is one of Morrissey's ten top-10 hits. The second song is the seminal "November Spawned a Monster", which Morrissey has said himself is one of his favourite songs. The omission of this song is truly criminal. The final 'greatest hit' that has been shamefully ignored is "We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful", from the excellent album "Your Arsenal", which has received absolutely no place in this Greatest Hits collection. A fourth song, "Alma Matters" (which ranked in at number 16 on the charts) is included as a bonus track on some versions of this collection, but it makes no sense whatsoever why this isn't in all of the versions as a standard track.

This collection also contains two brand new songs. "That's How People Grow Up" is a decent enough song, but one that is ultimately unmemorable. "All You Need is Me", however, is a great little track that deserves to be heard by Morrissey fans new and old. But, in the end of the day, the inclusion of these two tracks doesn't make the album a worthwhile purchase for anyone who already owns "You Are the Quarry" and "Ringleader of the Tormentors" (the two albums that take up most of this Greatest Hits collection).

Despite its shortcomings, the over all quality of the songs on this album is top-notch. It would make a decent introduction to Morrissey, and a sensible purchase alongside one of Morrissey's "Best Of" collections mentioned earlier. However, this is a missed opportunity for what should have been a truly excellent collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars 'A Collection For The Casual Morrissey Fan', 24 Jan. 2008
Antony May (East Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This particular version of Morrissey's 'Greatest Hits' collection holds very little appeal for dedicated fans. With so many of the tracks from the man's last two albums and the 'fill in' live cover of Redondo Beach, a lot of this is very recent history. Morrissey has not been renowned either for releasing his very best songs as single A sides and a true best of would have to include a great many more tracks and a healthy smattering of album and b side songs. What you do get here is a collection for the 'casual Morrissey fan', the people that would not normally consider buying an album of his but remember loving say 'Suedehead', 'First Of The Gang To Die' or 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. If you are one such person then I wouldn't put you off this, but for those of us who live and breathe for the man's every word this is always going to be just another album to add to 'the collection'.

4.0 out of 5 stars He Sings your Life, 24 Jan. 2008
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Morrissey...Morrissey...Morrissey. Where do you begin ?

There are two types of people in this world. Those that get Morrissey. Those that don't. I feel lucky to be in the gang that do. Or at least I think I do. The people that can relate to his sometimes macabre and darkly humorous approach to others, to life, to himself. He pulls no punches at any time. How many parties have you reluctantly walked into mumbling "I've come to wish you an unhappy birthday".... Don't you just hate it when your friends become successful ? He plucks our darkest thoughts out of the air and crafts them into glorious songs so we no longer feel alone in having these bad feelings. His wordplay and barbed insight into modern life is beyond compare and stir the emotions like no other singer. Who else would sing about the Moors Murders in their first album and profess to forgiving Jesus in their last. Nobody.

The Smiths saw me through my teenage angst years and Morrissey on his own has helped me though my 30s and now my 40s though I admit I lost the faith for a while around the Kill Uncle period. Now it's back with a vengeance following the outstanding You are the Quarry closely followed by Ringleader of the Tormentors.

This is a great collection of his songs from the last 20 or so years though I'm dissapointed it omits the frankly brilliant but disturbing November spawned a Monster. I think this is a good album for the casual Morrissey fan (as if you're reading this you'll probably already have all the tracks already) but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Visionary, radical, depressive, lunatic, genius. He's all those things and we're lucky to have him.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit unfair!!!, 4 Feb. 2008
David Velcek (Geelong, VIC., Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
As an absolutely devoted fan, I feel a little cheated that I have to buy this album for 1 NEW UNRELEASED SONG (I'm buying the single release of "That's How People Grow Up").

The live CD in the DELUX version makes it more palatable if it is in fact unreleased live recordings.

2 Stars for the 2 new songs - but the record company are cheating us I think. If I was guaranteed that "All You Need is Me" was being released as a single, I perhaps wouldn't buy it. Like I said, maybe the live CD will make it worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine compilation - if you're a casual fan, 24 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I'm going to tread very carefully here, by saying that I'm a casual fan of Morrissey's and this will do me very nicely. But even I can tell that this compilation is not as comprehensive as it should be - for any of Morrissey's diehard fans. That said, for a casual fan all of the well known and much loved hits are on this, plus a couple of new songs including the latest single 'That's How People Grow Up', and regardless of your take on this compilation, you can't deny the quality of the music on it, plus compared to the original 'Suedehead - The Best Of', this will at least have a crisper and richer sound to it. And in all fairness it does say 'Greatest Hits' - as opposed to 'Best Of' in the title. So to sum up, this works for me, but some of the more serious fans will think this is a bit hollow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The later,heavier sounding tracks.That's all.....its good!, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Ok,I read all the reviews from the hardcore Morrissey fans,who lean towards his earlier work.I bought this and,on the advice of those guys,also bought 'Suedhead-The Best Of Morrissey',which concentrates on his earlier stuff.
Well,as a relative newcomer,I have to say i prefer this one!!Later,more heavier sounding tracks.I really can't fault this,apart from the fairly lame 'Redondo Beach'.
Its never off my player. I recommend it very much.He continues to produce interesting,cool tunes.Nice one Mozza!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite contrary, 10 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Morrissey's cavalier cussedness is just part of what we love about him, but letting him loose on his own compilation was plain daft. To include just one song from his twin solo peaks, 'Your Arsenal' and 'Vauxhall and I', in favour of a large clutch of makeweights from his patchy comeback efforts, could be a dictionary definition of perverse. There's no denying the wonder of Everyday is Like Sunday and Suedehead, but Morrissey's implied contempt for the richest seam of his career is beyond baffling.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Love it When Our Friends Become Successful, 23 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Much has been made of the bulk of this compilation been drawn from Morrissey's last two albums `Ringleader of the Tormentors' and `You are the Quarry' and a clutch of very early solo singles. It would smack of current record company protecting its investment except that Morrissey's recent return to form basically is the last two albums and only a few of the early Morrissey singles can actually compare.

Obviously everyone has there own particular favourites and will lament some omission. I'm personally very attached to `Our Frank' and `You're the One for me Fatty' but can see why they would fail to make the cut. Hard decisions have had to be made to keep the running time down and comparing this to previous compilations such as the `The Best of Morrissey' when EMI spawned a Monster, I cannot help but think it is a triumph. Welcome home Morrissey.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›