Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.79

on 12 February 2009
Disc 1 consists of tracks culled from two BBC live recordings of Martyn in solo acoustic mode - first 4 in mono from 1971: 'Head and Heart' and 'Bless the Weather' are gorgeous, but did we really need 'Singing in the Rain'?! Fun to hear once, but not something I can see myself coming back to.

The early pre-'Inside Out' version of 'Outside In' is interesting to hear, particularly as the second gig, 3 stereo tracks from 1977, begins with a spectacular rendition of a more familiar version of the same track. 'Spencer The Rover' is gorgeous, but the closing 'Dealer' sounds a bit tired and muted, especially compared with the light and fluid solo version on Disc 2 of the One World deluxe edition boxset (5 live tracks from 1978 that I go back to again and again).

The tracks on Disc 2 are all culled from one BBC live recording from the 1980ish 'Grace And Danger' era, with full band - again, interesting to hear, but not something I'm likely to come back to, as my fascination has more been with his more solo/acoustic manifestations.

So ultimately, a few gems, but on the whole one for afficianados only I suspect.
on 6 June 2007
If you love John Martyn's music then buy this but make sure you're seated before you start listening. It's fantastic. I'm just finishing disc one and I'm blown away by the experience.I won't waffle but seriously, you need this in your life.
on 27 March 2009
Not as good as I thought,
Being Live and at the BBC I thought I would have enjoyed it more,
I remember I really liked Him when I heard the broadcast on the Radio 1 then,
Time & Age has probably distorted my expectations.
I will probably buy "Ain't No Saint" Boxset