on 28 February 2009
If you are in any way, a fan or follower of Lionel Ritchies' music, then this really is the album for you. Aptly called "The Definitive Collection", the 2 CDs comprise a total of 38 songs, which in itself is great value. Spanning the periods from his Commodores days to and throughout his solo career, the songs cover the full spectrum of his ability. From the love songs such as 'Truly' & 'Hello' to the dynamic 'Don't Stop the Music' (which defies you not to move) & 'Dancing on the Ceiling', all are familiar and yet still stand the test of time. This is nothing but pure enjoyment.
on 12 August 2009
A Fantastic Collection of hits spaning Lionel's massive career.

It is hard to believe that 1 man has had such a huge range of hits. The classics from his early days with The Commodores (Three Times a Lady / Easy) to some of his solo work (To Love a Woman / All Night Long).

The whole of disc 1 is devoted to Just his solo career with disc 2 containing a mix of both The Commodores and solo hits. When you listen to the double album you will enjoy the changes that Lionel made through-out his career to his 'sound' and 'style'. There aren't many artists who can boast such achievements.

Personal favourite tracks for me are number 18 on disc 2 - Brick House. A Funky beat with cheeky lyrics that left my wife asking if it was a compliment or not! I also really like 'Stuck on You' which is track 7 of disc 2. A heartfelt solo ballard which suits his voice excellently.

If you are looking for another perfect Lionel Richie album then I recommend Encore which is a collection of live tracks. Where-as 'The Definitive Collection' is all studio tunes, the energy that comes through Encore shows off his performance skills and you can feel the enjoyment. Get both albums to experience the greatness of Lionel Richie through-out his career.
on 15 November 2003
Well this collection is truely a must for Lionel Richie/Commodore fans! All the classic hits are included and will help help you to woo your beau once more.

There are songs to "dance to, cry to, laugh to, and make love to". What more do you want?

Add it to your basket today and make your partner happy!!
on 20 December 2010
Fantastic product if you can get hold of this 'Special Edition'. It is an upgrade of the original release and features a 2nd disc for the same price. The 2nd disc has more hits from Lionel and the Commodores. Seek and you shall find a gem!
Motown's golden decade was the sixties, after which several of their stars quit or departed for rival labels. Of the new artists that Motown signed in the seventies, the Commodores were easily their best and most successful. Eventually their lead singer, Lionel Richie, left the group to pursue a solo career. The Commodores continued without him but only scored one major hit - Nightshift, a tribute to Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson. This compilation omits Nightshift but includes all the important hits that Lionel Richie had, both with the Commodores and as a solo singer.
The Commodores began mixing hard-edged funk songs with soulful ballads but the latter proved to be more popular and these came to dominate their music. Machine gun (their first hit) and Too hot to trot were their most successful funky singles, but the songs that they are best remembered for are all ballads. Three times a lady became a number one hit for them in Britain and America. Conway Twitty covered it and took it into the country top ten, proving that a great song can be adapted to any style of music. Easy, Sail on and Still (all of which made the UK top ten) are other great Commodores ballads.
Lionel Richie was even more successful as a solo singer than he had been as lead singer of the Commodores. Dispensing with the funky songs, he focused entirely on ballads. He even wrote one for Kenny Rogers (Lady - an American number one hit) following which he produced an entire album for Kenny (Share your love). So even if his solo career had flopped, he showed that he could have a career as a songwriter and producer. He didn't need to worry as his own hits kept coming. Endless love (with Diana Ross), Truly, All night long, Running with the night, Hello, Say you say me and Dancing on the ceiling all made the UK top ten while Lionel was with Motown.
This compilation provides a very comprehensive collection of Lionel Richie's music, with and without the Commodores. I was slightly disappointed by the omission of Deep river woman, a track featuring the country super-group Alabama. It would have been nice if they'd included Nightshift too. Both those tracks can be found elsewhere. For most people, this is the only Lionel Richie album they will ever need.
on 25 October 2010
Wow what an amazing CD this one really is! From start to finish this compilation of excellent music delivers, and delivers good! Great classics from both Lionel Richie and The Commodores, which shows the genius at music that Mr Richie has been forever. Awesome CD, just buy it, get a good drink and dance and relax!
on 12 November 2010
I bought the CD for my husband as he has only just got interested in the music of Lionel Richie following his adverts for crisps! He was not disappointed so Lionel now has another fan. Quality of CD was super too.
on 28 December 2011
This collection has a lot of GREAT Songs. Worth concerning if you are thinking of purchasing any thing to do with Lionel Richie!!
on 10 November 2011
My wife is the fan but I was pleasantly surprised by this bunch of memorable songs, sent swiftly at a fair price. Go for it.
on 30 November 2014
First off Lionel Richie is one of the most iconic song makers of our time. All his hits are here. The reason I won't give this collection 5 stars is for the song Zoom. I heard a full extended version on Pandora. When I hear somethung I like I can quickly go to Amazon and buy it. Zoom is not on the U.S. version so by reviews I seen I can get it on Amazon U.K. which I did. I got the cd in a few days and when Zoom came on it starts a good chunk into the song. No intro just right into the verse. This is one of my favorite songs and I like the intro. If they had to chop any song, why this one? A couple other songs are chopped also so you're not getting even a full length radio edit. I had bought a full lengthe Zoom from Amazon MP3 but I wanted the one I heard on Pandora on a hold in my hand cd collection. This is the second time I got burned from Pandora to Amazon for the same dang song a couple years ago with the Colour Collection and that's all edits. I still never opened it. I guess I can be happy having the 6:38 version on The Ultimate Collection but that's the industry. They keep you buying. I love Pandora as a music source but I wish they would stop with Amazon.com telling you "Here it is" and then it's not. Again the industry.
review image