5.0 out of 5 stars Pure but fairly mellow bluegrass, 12 July 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Alison Krauss has done much to popularise bluegrass in recent years. Her early recordings were pure bluegrass – this (from 1992) was the last album of that phase of her career. Her more recent albums have included other influences but I enjoy those too, in a different way.
On this album, Alison and her band, Union Station, work their way through a selection of songs that are generally not well known despite several of them being cover versions. Many of these are old bluegrass songs, but they also include I don’t know why (Shawn Colvin) and Lose again (Karla Bonoff). There are also some original songs here including two by Sidney Cox (of the Cox family).
At the time, Union Station was made up of Tim Stafford (guitar), Ron Block (banjo – he also wrote three of the songs here), Adam Steffey (mandolin) and Barry Bales (bass). Alison played the fiddle as well as doing most of the singing. The four men could all sing and each of them can be heard on this album, providing harmony or duet vocals, but Alison is the real star.
If you are unfamiliar with Alison’s early music, I recommend that you buy Now that I’ve found you - A collection, which I’ve already reviewed. That includes one track from each of her early albums, plus tracks not available on any of her other albums so far. If you have that collection and you are looking for more of Alison’s early music, you will enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. I love it! More greatness from AKUS., 8 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This is just another great recording from AKUS. From the opening uptempo title track to the slow waltz at the end ("Jesus Help Me to Stand"), Alison and the gang treat us to another hearty helpin' of glorious bluegrass. I fell in love with Alison's music back in 1988, when I chanced to see her perform at a brown-bag lunch concert at her hometown of Champaign, Illinois. Try to choose your favorite instrument: Ron Block's banjo? Dan Tyminski's mandolin? Alison's fiddle? . . . or her beautiful, bird-like voice? I especially like "Who Can Blame You," "Heartstrings," and "New Fool." Although not as varied, this album is every bit as good as her phenomenal "Now That I've Found You" collection. This would be a great introduction to Alison Krauss' music, or to bluegrass music in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 3 April 2013
Great music and superb vocals from a top group. The superb vocals are strengthened by the meaningfull lyrics and polished recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best....., 6 Jan 2013
P. J. Hillier - See all my reviews
Alison Krauss and Union Station are in my opinion, the best Musicians playing popular Blue Grass at the Moment. Both I and my Wife really enjoy listening to their Songs. So although we do not normally buy each other Christmas Presents, I always try to get my Wife a small Tree Present and I struck Gold when I bought her this CD it was excellent. Well done AKUS, and well done Amazon for delivering it so promptly.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is as far back as I go..., 20 Jan 2012
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I started with "New Favorite", and have been going both backwards and forwards. I have now reached 1992-vintage, plumpish, curly brunette Alison and pre-Dan Tyminski Union Station (although one of Dan's songs is on it). It's pleasant enough listening, but this is where I get off. The extraordinary, glorious, rich instrument that is Alison Krauss's current voice is clearly visible on the horizon on this CD, but it's not there yet, and what we still have is a slightly little-girl voice. Mind you, I'd kill to have a little-girl voice like that, but the best was yet to come.

In addition, this version of Union Station is good, but it's not the current dazzling instrument (Dan Tyminski and Jerry Douglas really do make a major difference). The songs are good, but not outstanding, which perhaps accounts for why we don't hear many of them any more ("Every time you stay goodbye" and "Cluck old hen" are the only two regulars). It's also more traditionally bluegrass than later albums.

The differences between this and "So long, so wrong" (1997) are quite interesting - in the latter, we have Alison with the voice we all know and adore, a better, more competent Union Station, including the great, shouty bluegrass voice of Dan Tyminski, a fuller, richer recorded sound, altogether a better listening experience. Not that I would put anyone off buying this CD, it's still good listening, but it's not the AKUS I prefer, so I won't be going any further back in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant music, 9 Oct 2011
As with all of Alison Krauss' CDs this one is of course excellent. I would thoroughly recommend it for any fan. It certainly lives up to her usual superb standard.

Every Time You Say Goodbye