5.0 out of 5 stars Tangled Up in Brilliance
Girls Aloud have never been an act who allow their singles to stand out as the only decent tracks on an album. Their double platinum hit What Will the Neighbours Say? remains one of the best pop albums of the past decade and experimentation on Chemistry resulted in album tracks which out did the singles released from it.

Tangled Up is no exception. In keeping...
Published on 17 Nov 2007 by A. RICHARDSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Average for the girls
I,m a big fan of Girls Aloud,but was a little disappointed with this album. Certainly not the best.
Published on 1 Feb 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Tangled Up in Brilliance, 17 Nov 2007
A. RICHARDSON "Andy" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)

Tangled Up is no exception. In keeping with tradition, Girls Aloud's fourth studio album delivers some of the cheekiest, most genius lyrics of our times and whats more....there's not a cover in sight!

In true Girls Aloud style, 'Close to Love' and 'Girl Overboard' kick us off by leaving you desperate to go clubbing, whilst the haunting almost-ballad 'Crocodile Tears' closes an album you just won't want to end.

'Black Jacks' sees a brand new 'chanting' side to the girls, whilst 'Cant Speak French' is a nice break from the electro-dance feel of other songs on this album.

So many hidden gems, so many quality tracks. The more you listen, the more you understand the true brilliance of this album. Even the tracks that didnt hit you straight away begin to really stand out.

This has to be one of the best albums of Girls Aloud's career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album yet - you need it in your life!, 17 Feb 2008
L. Green "Feltano" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Barcode: 0602517505803

In a world filled with indie rubbish and sloppy American import trash, Girls Aloud are a precious rarity. As Nicola puts it so brilliantly in the album's booklet, it's really annoying when bands start off well but then go downhill from then on. Thank God then that it's been the opposite for Girls Aloud, Tangled Up proves they really do just keep on getting better. Like always their albums are consistently good from start to end, filled with state-of-the-art pop tunes that fulfill all the criteria - they're fun, catchy and damn good to dance too.

So let's have a look at what the gorgeous girls have treated us to this time round.

First up is Call The Shots, a song that oozes class and is accompanied by a brilliantly stylish video. I think one of the reasons why this song has been so successful is that not only is it a fantastic pop record but it represents Girls Aloud showing a new maturity to their music, something that has allowed more universal appeal to the public and appealing to critics, hence the BRIT award nomination this year.

Close To Love is 80s synthpop dancefloor amazingness. Now, Girls Aloud are famous for their witty, feisty lyrics but this takes it to a new level. Any song that has the line 'Guy with the terrible hair, back off' is a winner in mye eyes. Fling continues in much the same vein with some seriously suggestive lyrics but this time put to a riotous punk-rock bit of guitar thrashing tumbling into a filthy bassline.

Sexy! No, No, No... is still my favourite Girls Aloud song, holding a particularly special place in my heart. It sounds like something Depeche Mode would come up with, a storming mix of rock and electro and with that amazing video. We launch right into another stunning track next with Girl Overboard, one of the album's finest highlights, euro-dance brilliance that screams 'future single'.

Black Jacks is intruiging, tinged with echoes of Blur/Supergrass Britpop with some remarkably indie sounding shouty raps. Damn continues on the same lines, both tracks simple, all-round pop fun laced with that dash of everything that makes Girls Aloud so great.

I wasn't initially that keen on Control Of The Knife but now i totally love it. It's Reggae style in the vein of Chemistry's Watch Me Go and part of it's appeal is that relentless beat/guitar combo that i reckon would go down a right treat at summer parties.

What You Crying For and I'm Falling present Girls Aloud at their most adventuruous, this time venturing into drum n' bass with amazing results. The latter is pumped full of distorted vocals and guitar and sounds like the soundtrack to some high energy Hollywood action/thriller movie.

And then we have Crocodile Tears, a mid-tempo slice of epic beauty. Like Sexy..., this was written by the Girls themselves and once again presents an intense maturity to them and shows real potential as to what they could come up with in the future.

So... after all that, you get the message, the album is absolutely amazing so go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy? Yes Yes Yes...., 17 Nov 2007
Mr. D. Maccann "Daibh" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
The fourth studio album from Girls Aloud represents the very essence of the girls' unprecidented five year career to date...a career that has given us some of the decade's most amazing electro-pop offerings - Biology, Something Kinda Oooh and Sound of The Underground to name but a few.
Here's my Track By Track review:

1. Call The Shots - A sultry and mesmerising affair to begin with, a slick mid-tempo electo tune, with some gorgeous vocals from Nicola in the middle eight.

2. Close To Love - Definite potential single, this is catchy and exciting, with the usual off-the-wall GA stamp that made songs like Biology and Something Kinda Ooh brilliant.

3. Sexy! No No No - A veritable Pop Hurricane! This song begins with a haunting electric overture, and crescendos with a torrential storm of angry, sexy pop.

4. Girl Overboard - Think Bananarama in their Heyday, with a modern twist. This is Nu-80s, and it's hot.

5. I Can't Speak French - With the witty lyrics, this had the potential to be brilliant...the melody is not the strongest though, and it fades into something of a filler track.

6. Black Jacks - Again, this is a new sound for the girls. Quite dark, with a slight 70s rock feel...interesting.

7. Control Of The Knife - Reminiscent of Kate Nash/Just Jack, this is the suppposed 3rd single from the album. Sees the girls go off on another classic GA tangent. Very similar to Watch Me Go from Chemistry.

8. Fling - This is absolutely amazing! From start to finish this is the standout track on the album, and if it isn't a single I will be disappointed. Has slight allusions to Bassment Jaxx and some of the best lyrics on the whole album.

9. What You Crying For? - Another interesting one. This is very garage-dancey, and reminds me alot of Real Life from What Will The Neighbours Say.

10. I'm Falling - Awesome song, a sexy electro-stormer with vocoders and sound effects a-plenty.

11. Damn - B52s meets Cyndi Lauper...Not the strongest song on the album, but a solid effort.

12. Crocodile Tears - Although there is no actual ballad on the album, this is about as slow-paced as it gets...and to be honest, we could have done without it. It's hard to see what the thinking behind this one was. I personally would have left this off the album and put the elusive 'Girls Are Back In Town' from the Sunsilk adverts as the album's closer. The weakest effort on the album by far.

Overall, I love this album! I'm not sure if it has the same mass appeal of Chemistry. However, it is definitely a more grown-up approach to music from the U.K's premier Girl Band...and with Spice Girls coming back with mediocre songs like Headlines, it's nothing short of relief that Girls Aloud can be counted on to keep being inventive and consistent with their own brand of infectious music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing, 21 Feb 2008
Tyler Cote - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
This is the fourth studio album from the girls and it is by far the best. Filled with synth-heavy bangers and pop gems throughout, this album is sure to be a promising one.
1. Call The Shots- The second single, (which went to be the second best selling single of their career) a perfect track. 10/10
2. Close To Love- I'd say the girls are idiots not to release this as a single, it is irresistible and by the best track on the ablum.
3. Sexy! No, No, No- A #5 hit for the girls as the first single. Amazing rock sound and stunning video. 10/10
4. Girl Overboard- Continues the line of amazing tracks, very strong hooks and very impressive vocals, potential single. 10/10
5. Can't Speak French- The 3rd single off the album,and is it ever great. Its no Call The Shots/Sexy! No, No, No, but it is great. 9/10
6. Black Jacks- An interesting sound, and an amazing track with a fun chanting part included. 8/10
7. Control Of The Knife- The rumoured 3rd single off this album, and I can't resist this one, pop perfection. 10/10
8. Fling- Really rocky, and fun filled with cheek and camp all mixed in. Another great track. 9/10
9. What You Crying For- Not the best on the album, but still not the worst. A faster and smarter song for the girls. 6/10
10. I'm Falling- Easily the worst track on the album, (I don't know why Dog Without A Bone or Blow Your Cover weren't included instead) 5/10
11. Damn- Filled with amazing hooks and cute lyrics, this song delivers by a mile and will be in your head for a while. 8/10
12. Crocodile Tears- Even though I did not want this album to end, it does on a high note, the only thing close to a ballad, beautiful. 10/10

I am a definite girls aloud fan and this solidified that by delivering a perfect album. I could listen to over and over. Leave it to these 5 girls to take risks and mix with very different sounds, for a manufactured band they truly created a sound of their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars girls aboppin :), 20 Nov 2007
no name (manchester/england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
With all due respect to amazon who delivered my cd (very quickly i might add) it felt like a life time waiting for this album to arrive, but, that it did this morning and i have had it on repeat on my cd player since i came home from work because its excellent!!, i am a very new recruit to the girls aloud scene and so i consider myself fairly unbiased but i really love this album, so ok its a little different to the previous albums (which i also really like)but the girls pull it off with ease.The album is more uptempo than previous offerings so dont expect a typical GA sound but trust me it'll grow on you darn quick and youll be bopping around ya' crib like a demented looney :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wicked album from the girls, 9 Nov 2008
C. Cox "Rachel" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
This album is one of their best to date,i also have their new album out of control,which is wicked as well,look out for my review on their new album coming up in a couple of weeks,also look out for my reviews on thier other albums aswell.Anyway lets get into each track:

Call the shots-10/10 This was girls alouds second single,which was a brillant choice,the video was cool as well , one of my favourites off the album

Close to love-10/10 A really funky uptempo song,the chrous is wicked another of my favourites

Sexy NO NO NO-10/10 A rock/pop uptempo song,wicked video as well

Girl overboard-10/10 This track is wicked,one of my favourites,a rock/pop uptempo number love the chrous

Can't speak french-10/10 I loved this song when i first heard on the album,i still love it now,the video was wicked as well

Black jacks-10/10 A brillant song very rock/pop one of my favourites

Control of the knife-10/10 Another brillant track really good chrous

Fling-10/10 I feel that people will either love or hate this song,as you can tell i love this song very catchy chrous,a favourite of mine

What you crying for-10/10 A brillant uptempo pop song,another of my favourites

I'm falling-10/10 I really like this uptempo song,all the girls sound wicked on this song,one of my favourites

Damn-10/10 A wicked uptempo tune,another favourite of mine

Crocodile tears-9/10 A nice end to the album

You need to add this album to your collection,if you are a fan of sugababes and if you love all the other stuff girls aloud have done. The only problem with this album is the cover,this cover would have been ok for a first album,but not for album number four,it is just plain boring, it would have been nice to have a lovely picture of the girls.Also i feel the other girls mainly kimberlery should have more singing time than just Nadine

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn, This Is Amazing!, 30 Nov 2007
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
I have been a Girls Aloud fan for yearssss! Today is their 5th birthday so happy birthday girls!
I have never been let down by a single song they have recorded, honestly and this does not fail.
Here is my track by track review...

1. Call The Shots - When I first heard this I thought it was a bit weaker but I have played it so much I love it. It takes time to get into it but this song is so close to perfection. 10/10
2. Close To Love - So infectious and catchy. Great to hear Kimberley take lead vocals. 9/10
3. Sexy! No No No - The most underated single they have had. This song is immense. It starts off so spine chilling and moves into a kick ass song. So good played loud and it has so many hooks and catchy lines. You'll be singing it all day guaranteed. 10/10
4. Girl Overboard - This should be the 3rd single and I hope it is because it reminds me of classic GA songs. No other girl band could pull this song off. 10/10
5. Can't Speak French - Reminds me of 'Whole Lotta History' but more mid-tempo. A really catchy tune which reminds me of the 'Chemistry' era. 8.5/10
6. Black Jacks - Amazing! Nadines vocals on this belter of a chorus are amazing! I like how their isn't too much backing music to dominate over the superb vocals. 10/10
7. Control Of The Knife - Possibly the song I have grown most to on the album. It takes time to get into it but its so catchy and has an amazing beat. Should be the 4th single fingers crossed! 10/10
8. Fling - "It's just a fling baby, fling baby, just a lil ding a ling baby..." The lyrics don't exactly make sense but this is just such a fun song and it's so strong. 10/10
9. What You Crying For - Reminds me of the WWTNS era. Really good vocals from Kimberley but I do feel it doesn't earn it's place on the album when there are fantastic b-sides e.g. 'Dog Without A Bone' and 'Blow Your Cover'. 8/10
10. I'm Falling - This is such a unique song as the beat is simply brilliant, it sounds quite garage like (not a bad thing) and has altered voices which make it really original. 10/10
11. Damn - A bit like 'Real Life' off WWTNS which is a good thing! Has a great chorus and is really fun and uplifting. 9/10
12. Crocodile Tears - The slowest song on the album and is done so tastefully. Cheryl's performance on this track is outstanding. 9/10

Overall - 95%.
Amazing, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tangled up, 26 Jan 2009
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
Have to say that I absolutely love this album, the songs are catchy and upbeat, and soon had me dancing round the bedroom whilst getting dressed!
It does tempt you to turn the music up quite loud though!
Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Play aloud, 26 Mar 2008
This review is from: Tangled Up (Audio CD)
I love, love, love this album. It starts with the ace Call The Shots and in my opinion gets better & better. I really love the tracks Girl Overboard, Close to Love and Blackjacks. Tangled Up shows a new side to the band whilst keeping that 'thing' about that just makes you want to dress up and have a girls night out or even night in.

Whenever I'm feeling like I can't be bothered to go out i used to play the Greatest Hits but this album has now replaced that as it never fails to get me in the mood to dance all night.

Give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars They just keep getting better..., 19 Nov 2007
I thought it was impossible but Tangled Up is even better than Chemistry :o
It doesn't have the variety of previous Girls Aloud albums, which isn't a bad thing (the songs are all dance/techno type tracks), there isn't a single boring ballad to be found :) Crocodile Tears is the slowest track, it is the weakest on the album but still a very good track.

Stand out tracks are:

Control Of The Knife: the beat is absolutely amazing, Cheryl and Sarah rule this track and the trumpets-oh my :D love it!!! Rumoured to be the 3rd single from the album

Fling: the lyrics are quality, Sarah's vocals once again are the highlight and I love the way Nadine sings "body like a work of art"

Can't Speak French: this is the typical mish-mosh of styles GA do so well, the girls themselves love this track so expect it to be a future single release

Sexy! No No No: the 1st single from the album and one of Girls Aloud's best tracks

Call The Shots: not as ground breaking as most GA singles but a great song which is more laid back than most of Tangled Up.

Black Jacks and What You Crying For deserve a special mention-BJ would be perfect if it wasn't for the chanting, some will love it and it will probably grow on me but it just doesn't do it for me-great song otherwise though. WYCF is another excellent track, just not as brilliant as the others mentioned above.

Close To Love, Girl Overboard, I'm Falling and Damn are great tracks as well-there really isn't a track to be skipped over on this album!

The only negative thing I can say about this album is that Nicola doesn't get enough lines. She sings the same part of every song, the break down before the final chorus, she is the 2nd best singer in the band and yet she sings the least by quite a way. Yes her voice doesn't fit this style as well as the others but they should have got her in somehow-IMO Nicola sounds a lot stronger when she sings live then she does on the recordings.
Oh and Nadine (once again) is the only voice to be heard on many of the chorus' :( Shes good but it is a band!

Great album and it's good to see Kimberley getting more to do-buy it now and support the best girl band this country has ever produced!!!

Tangled Up