5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as you would expect!
Published on 16 Nov. 2007 by B. Frost

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some good moments!
Whilst being nowhere near as strong as their studio albums (but then, how could it have ever been?), The Killers' first compilation album 'Sawdust', released in 2007 has a few worthwhile songs, but I feel that will appeal mostly to the completists.

Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as you would expect!, 16 Nov. 2007
B. Frost "Ben" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
A lot of people have said how this album is just as good as hot fuss and sams town, and to a large extent I wouldnt argue. The fact that this is simply a collection of oddities thrown together with the odd new song (which are all excellent by the way) just shows the strength in depth of these guys material. It simply goes to prove that this lot are undoubtedly the biggest thing in rock since the turn of the century, well thats my opinion anyway. But hey, you might disagree. I tell you what though, when the Arctic Monkeys and Razorlight etc hear this collection of "B-Sides" and "leftovers", they might, and should, be more than a little concerned.... Bring on the REAL new album next year is what I say!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 11 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
What a lot of the other reviews have overlooked is that there might actually be someone out there looking at these who doesnt yet own a Killers CD. If so, I think this would be an excellent place to start as it contains such a skillfully blended mix (and remixed) collection of material.
I am giving this 5 stars partly for this reason and also because for me even though it contained some material with which I am very familiar I felt the whole feel of this albumn was so good that it will stay top of my play list, in place of Sams Town (which I just keep going back to inbetween anything new I play) for a good while yet.
I am not often moved to write any feedback (except ebay!) due to severe lack of time but I couldnt resist the chance to say how this just received CD, and still playing on my computer as I write, is the best way to make a wild and windy day outside feel like glorious sunshine!! I wouldnt really care what Flowers sang, for me he has one of the best rocky voices I have heard since I was born (a long time ago!!). I couldnt get Sams Town out of my car CD player last year and suspect this will be the same until the new CD is released. I also like such a wide range of music that I am not often hooked on anything but the Killers are in a class of their own.
Yes I agree with a couple of reviews below that this is a bit samey in terms of tempo and power. But from the superb thumping bass and power of the opening track Tranquilise with Lou Reed (which alone makes this worth buying!) it drives on from one track to the next in such a way that you want it to go on and on. The depth and power is superb - especially in surround sound played LOUD!
It slows down a bit with the start of 'Where the white boys dance' and again your ears get a rest in the superb version of that old classic 'Ruby dont take your love to town' followed by an immaculate version (Abbey Road sessions) of Sams Town that almost had me in tears and really shows off the quality of Flowers' strong vocal talent.
I do not particularly like the original version of Dire Straits' Romeo and Juliet, but love the Killers' version. And the remix of Mr Brightside is a fine way to round off an immense 18 tracks of sheer enjoyment that means I will be replaying immediately!!
I do not buy singles and only own Sams Town, so for me this really felt like a new albumn, and I think it has been skilfully put together.
At this price grab a copy quick and bring on the good mood!!(I am also a fan of White Stripes, Foo Fighters, Razorlight and a big fan of Snow Patrol if that helps you make up your mind)

4.0 out of 5 stars One For The Fans, 10 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
This collection of B-sides and Cover tracks will definately appeal to fans of The Killers. As a fan myself I was pleased with it, it contains some very experimental styles for the band, some of which work and some of which don't. Stand out tracks are "Tranquilize" recorded with Lou Reed, a real grower but shows a different side to the Killers music. "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town", the Mel Tillis song made famous by Kenny Rogers, I think this song works excellently for the Killers and I am glad they chose to record it. Also the cover of Dire Straits "Romeo and Juliet" is an excellent cover.
The CD also contains a cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay", An excellent acoustic version of "Sams Town" and a dance version of "MR Brightside".
All in all an ecxellent collection. The reason I have only given 4 stars is because this is clearly intended for Killers fans and is not a well worked rounded out album like Hot Fuss and Sams Town.
If you are a Killers fan then buy it, it's well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sawdust burns brightly !, 13 Nov. 2007
Jago Wells (N Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
This eclectic collection of out-takes,unreleased material and various odds and sods gels together remarkably well.
Running out at 77 minutes, the album moves along like a flash Cadillac on a Las Vegas freeway. Big and bold with the ensemble throwing out some fine varations on old favourites.
The 8+ minute synth version of Mr Bright Eyes knocks the original into touch by virtue of it's epic scale and pulsating drive.
Killers fans will have no complaints with this one.
Sawdust might suggest something left on the floor after the original piece has been put together but throw it on the creative fire and it flares in its intensity !

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting collection - some great tracks on here, 12 Mar. 2008
L. Green "Feltano" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Barcode: 0602517533745

I was fascinated by the prospect of this album, being a big fan of the Killers, i'm always intruiged to hear of new stuff from them. Sawdust is in essence a b-sides/rarities album and has a pretty wide mix of stuff from throughout the times of their first two albums. The album itself has got a great cover and there was even a special edition extra slipcase version which was available from HMV.

Perhaps the biggest draw is new single Tranquilize. This sees the band taking up a dramatically different sound. In contrast to the roaring upbeat anthems of their first two albums, this is more subtle, more creepy, but shines in its innovativity and the addition of Lou Reed's vocals only adds to its appeal.

Starting with a spooky atmospheric intro the song gradually builds, adding in stripped back acoustic guitar and Brandon's vocals. And when the chorus kicks in... just wow! "Silently reflection turns my world to stone' sings Brandon before a chilling children's choir part appears.

In essence, the song takes a handful of elements and masterfully weaves them together into a song that must struck a chord with the public because the track surged to number 13 on downloads alone.

Joy Divison cover, Shadowplay, is great too. All crisp drums and atmospheric synths, this is immesnely appealing. Another new track on here, Sweet Talk is another winner and is a natural progression from the sound of their first two albums. The rest of the album is mainly comprised of b-sides and are quite hit and miss, some good, some quite average. The album closer in the form of Stuart Price remixing Mr. Brightside is well worth checking out.

My favourite track though has to be All The Pretty faces though. Originally appearing on the 'When You Were Young' single, this is in my opinion one of the Killers finest songs featuring a great guitar hook as well as some of the best vocals and lyrics Brandon has ever come up with. This is the band at their stunning best.

So, on the whole, Sawdust as a compilation works pretty well and it is a fantastic opportunity for the band to showcase tracks that might not otherwise have been heard by many people. A great way to tide us fans over till the next album too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sawdust full of artistic possibilities...., 16 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
Sawdust is pretty good for a b-sides compilation. It's interesting that a collection of b-sides, rare releases, and covers could really be so entertaining. But the record stands pretty solid. I especially like Tranquilize, the duet with Lou Reed. It shows the depth and the range of the Killers and it also gives an idea about a possible new artistic direction. While Tranquilize is dark, the song Sweet Talk is bright and full of hope and reminds of of how masterful the Killers can be when it comes to lyrics and finding the perfect balance between a good hook and fine vocals. I would say the band is better now than they were were 3 years ago, and better than they were when they initially released Sam's Town. In short, The Killers just keep getting better over time....and if you see them live, you would understand fully what I mean.

There is really only one song that I didn't quite care for and maybe because the original is always just so hard to beat-- for me here, the unnecessary, and drab, slow version of Mr. Brightside, wasn't the best choice to end the record with. But then again, the hidden track, The Captain's theme, makes up for what the re-mix of Mr. Brightside didn't give me.

The Killers also prove that they are truly talented as they produce fine covers of 'Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town' and 'Shadowplay'. Many have mixed feelings on the cover of Shadowplay, but ultimately, I think the Killers do a fine job with keeping a dark element alive to the song, while providing what is clearly their own trademark style and song. They also offer up a lovely version of Dire Staits' 'Romeo & Juliet', it's like a chord for chord re-do, but lovely none-the-less.

The Killers are often criticized for taking risks with their sound, but in the long run, the bands that take the risks are the ones that keep most people interested, and who have longevity in the industry.

Hot Fuss, was too dancy for some, then with Sam's Town, it was too rock and not dancy enough, now with Sawdust, there are those who say the band is out to make a dollar by releasing the compliation, but there is very little filler here, and some of the songs sound so good that I wonder how they got cut in the first place. Over-all though, The Killers have done something that isn't unique or novel in releasing a b-sides so early in their careers. They aren't the first band to do, and I'm certain they won't be the last. The question is, will the others who do so be able to display such a range in their musicianship as well as their creativity?

I think The Killers for all their critics and fair-weather fans, have pretty much weathered the storm. I look forward to their next full length lp-- no matter the direction that their artistic and creative desires might take them.

In short, Sawdust-- a MUST have for die-hard Killers' fans and the new Killers' fans alike. It's a nice treat while we wait for the band's next big outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Could be a stand alone album, 2 Dec. 2007
DAZ (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
When I first hear about this 'b-sides album' I was a little sceptical and thought it was the beginning of a downwards spiral of cashing in by The Killers. How wrong I was! This is an excellent album that stands up on its own right. I almost see this as their third album that has a much darker feel than their previous efforts. They often cite Joy Division as a big influence and it is certainly evident here, especially with their cover of Shadowplay, which was an unusual choice (I would have thought Love Will Tear Us Apart was more suited to the Killers, and is a cover I'd still like to hear). The Killers have added their own sound to this and produced an admirable cover version. I'm not to keen on the hum along bits at the beginning, but I can't help myself humming along anyway!

Their are some excellent songs on here, my favourites being All The Pretty Faces, Under The Gun and Change Your Mind. The new song, Tranquilize, with Lou Reed, is a very different sound than what is usually associated with the Killers and shows that they are willing to experiment to good effect. The acoustic sessions from the Abbey Rd sessions are simply excellent and it is a shame that When You Were Young is not on there.

I've basically given up on singles in recent years because the poor quality of the b-sides made them a waste of time, so I haven't bought any of the Killers' singles and haven't heard most of these b-sides before. It is great that a band not only still makes b-sides, but makes them of such quality. These are good enough to make up an album.

There are some tracks that I'm not a big fan of (Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll and Where The White Boys Dance are already on previous albums), but there are 18 tracks here making it great value.

Overall, this was a really nice surprise and felt like having a new Killers album. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glamourous Indie Rock N Roll, 15 Nov. 2007
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
Ah, The good old fashioned B-Sides album. The B-side itself is now an almost outdated concept. I can remember the days when you would have to take that 7" single and flip it over to hear another song. Then it became a bonus tracks on the 12". Then different tracks on the 7", 12", box set 10" with badge and poster.

Nowadays all these songs exist to be dripfed to the masses : on the singles, compilation albums, exclusive compilations, and the inevitable Deluxe Collectors Edition reissue in a decades time. There's almost too much stuff out there now. In the past, the b-sides album - "Hatful of Hollow", "Barbed Wire Kisses", "Sci Fi Lullabies" was an event of magnificent proportions : an opportunity to reset the material that never quite fit in a new context of its own. Or a cheap and easy cash-in, dependent upon your point of view.

The fact that some bands even bother with b-sides is worthy in itself. One day these bands won't be recording, won't exist, and all that will be left is what is left behind : recordings and memories. Every new song could be a brilliant thing that means something to somebody : "You Know I'm Right".

Albeit, anyone who thinks "Tony The Pony" by Morrissey, or "As You Said" by Joy Division were the pinnacle of their artistic achievement is a cloth eared goth. Still, if Led Zep and Pink Floyd had done b-sides, then they'd be rolling in box sets.

So, the B-sides album is a dying breed. Replaced by the iTunes play list and the Digital MP3 Blog. So, to their credit, The Killers - who seem to have become quietly huge - have decided to eschew the usual career pat with "Sawdust", an oddities compendium of b-sides, covers, unreleased stuff, and the odd new song. In some way to defeat the preconception that the b-side is a lesser song, "Sawdust" toploads itself with new single - the efficient Lou Reed duet of "Tranquilize" - and a cover of Joy Divisions "Shadowplay" that makes the original sound like it could've been a traumatised Westlife : the deeply oppressive desperation is superceded by a swooping chorus. (Some fan discussion has rubbished the original : so lets make one thing clear, You Can't Cover Joy Division And Make It Sound Better Than The Original)

Overall, what "Sawdust" does do is prove that The Killers don't write B-Sides : they just write songs. Let us not forget "How Soon Is Now?" started life as the b-side to "William, It Was Really Nothing". And whilst there is nothing on "Sawdust" that can match the majesty of The Smiths, what the album does have is a collection of songs that sound like a Killers album with the obvious singles stripped out. Almost every song here is as good as any Killers album track. And there's no obvious quality gap caused by frantic last minute studio noodling to make an extra track for a single here. Everything on here sounds as well-crafted and thoughtful as the rest of their output.

That said, The Killers do occasionally grate. Brandon Flowers histrionic vocals occasionally sound like someone whose always straining for the stars. With the lack of light and shade, it's a case of slight bombast overkill which causes a uniformity of song. There`s also a lack of stylistic difference. No drunken bar room brawl boogie or experimental dated techno excursions here excepting a bonus remix by Jacques Lecont. Just, as the song suggest, "Glamourous Indie Rock N Roll", which is probably the single highpoint of the set.

"Sawdust" is a worthy Killers album, that sounds like a new Killers album, even if it patently isn't. At a weighty 17 songs, it's fine value for money and a efficient bookend to the current era of the band. If you liked "Sam's Town", get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have patience with this one... it's great after a while!, 11 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
Main thing to say is give it a fair trial. The first time I listened I didn't think I get on with it. Now, after a few listens I can't get enough of it!

Great value for money with a number of different/live versions of older classic songs after the 'b-sides' and I love the cover of Direstraits Romeo & Juliet, track 16.

I'd definitely recommend this to people who will listen to it a few times before passing judgement!

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some good moments!, 31 July 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)

It was a good idea though, and it's great to be able to own most of the band's B-sides which many fans might not have a hard copy of. There are also a few songs from this album that were later remixed and put onto later releases. Some of the covers which also make up this release are interesting, 'Romeo and Juliet' and 'Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town' are worth the price of the CD alone, along with the excellent 'Tranqulize' (featuring Lou Reed). It was also a nice touch to have the inclusion of different versions of songs already familiar, including a live recording of 'Sam's Town' and an addictive remix of 'Mr. Brightside'.

This is a generous colletion of 18 tracks from one of my favourite bands, not everything on here is worth repeated listens, but if you can get it at a good price - you should enjoy a lot of 'Sawdust'.

Sawdust (UK/ OZ/ NZ)