4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected pleasure, 28 Jun 2007
pkx166h (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mulligan Meets Monk (Audio CD)
I am not a particularly great fan of the 'west coast' Jazz Players, however I am an avid Monk fan and purchased this more out of curiosity than anything else - had it not had the Monk standards, I am not sure if I would have bothered. It is now one of my favourite 'Monk' albums.

The mix of Mulligan's 'cool' bass Sax and Monk's dissonance is wonderful. I can't think of a more 'warmer' version of Around Midnight - when Mulligan's sax starts the oh-so-familiar melody of this Monk classic, it makes me smile every time. A real joy.

Straight, No Chaser also get's the bass treatment and at a much, much more sedate pace, which again 'just works' in this case. You can't help but tap your feet.

Highly recommended for Monk and/or Mulligan fans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mulligan Meets Monk, 25 July 2012
This review is from: Mulligan Meets Monk (Audio CD)
I bought this Album when it first came out in 1957, I was the ripe old age of 11.
My mum could not understand my love for the art form JAZZ. Nor could I at the time. But understanding Monks dischordant work and amazingly laidback style never left me. My vinyl album has become what we laughingly refer to, as FRYING TONIGHT!(scratched)
So it is Truly a pleasure to relive my old feelings for this amazing album. A True Meeting Of Giants. Mulligan showed his great ability in the use of the lower registers of his Baritone.(But never enough, Sadly) Monk was always the master of the keyboard, never one to use too many notes when one would do, (a bit like Basie) But what a writer of time honoured tunes, eg, Round Midnight.He has played this piece with so many Jazzmen, but on this Album, IT IS THE BEST!
SO, using Amazons amazing service, rush and buy this album, While you can, (its also got Different takes,of tunes,not on the original vinyl.
If you love and understand Bop, or Bebop Jazz, GET IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mulligan Meets Monk, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: Mulligan Meets Monk (Audio CD)
Excellent intro to jazz and its history, my wife thinks its wonderful. Full of mood and power, an absolute classic.

Mulligan Meets Monk