Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 3 December 2013
EC was so innovative when he released his first few albums. This hits cd covers from the first single, the brilliant Alison. By the time you get beyond Hi Fidelity the songs are average with only the great Shipbuilding - written for and brilliantly covered by Robert Wyatt - perking things up at towards the end. I am sure others will disagree but I won't be playing the last quarter of the cd much but the rest is classic stuff.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2013
I love this album... Watching the Detectives is on replay in my head quite often (!!?) so I purchased this to get an all round collection of Costello. It's an excellent album for those new to Costello and those who are 'old hands'. There isn't one song that I want to skip through because I don't like it as much as the others. Every song included is a delight and as a result this receives an all round thumbs up from me!
on 29 October 2013
Again, another great collection of his singles - everyone a hot/winner! Can't go wrong if you liked Elvis! I clearly remember the first time I ever heard Oliver's Army, I was in Oxford in 78 when it first came out. It seemed so cool! (Mind you, we thought it was cool to dye our hair ginger/dark red and wear safety pins across our jeans) It was the Oxford version of rebellion!
on 26 October 2013
Notable hits from Elvis Costello and the Attractions including The Angels Wanna wear my Red Shoes, Alison, Watching the Detectives, I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea, Pump it up, Accidents Will Happen, Oliver's Army, What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Understanding, I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, High Fidelity: - 22 hits in all. Another great value deal from Amazon.
on 11 July 2014
Just love his music, and this album is just the business. Also, I love the Autorip service, no need to bother copying to the computer and downloading onto the ipod. The Amazon app is so easy to use. Who in their right mind would pay £10.49 for the mp3 when you can get both for £3? Autorip/mp3 download has definitely changed the way I purchase music.
on 24 May 2013
Six years after the commencement of a major Elvis Costello reissue campaign at Rhino, his catalog transferred over to Universal, which had been releasing new Elvis music since 1998's Painted from Memory. Like every one of his previous two big catalog shifts -- a campaign with Rykodisc/Demon in 1994, a jump to Rhino in 2001 -- the 2007 series is preceded by a new hits collection, this time The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years, a 22-track collection of highlights that's pretty much exactly what it says it is. It is quite similar to the last previous single-disc collection, the 1994 Ryko/Demon set The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions, which also ran 22 tracks, 19 of which also appear on The First 10 Years. The three omissions -- "Watch Your Step," "New Amsterdam," and "Love Field" -- will not be missed by anybody looking for a new Costello comp in 2007, particularly because all three substitutions are better choices for the casual man: "New Lace Sleeves," "Almost Blue," and "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," which bizarrely wasn't on the 1994 set. With these three songs rubbing shoulders with "Alison," "Watching the Detectives," "Pump It Up," "Oliver's Army," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding," and all the other usual suspects, The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years winds up being the best single-disc summary and introduction to Costello's prime years.
on 5 February 2013
One of the best albums I have bought in years ,I have listened to loads of Mr costello's music over the years be it on the radio or tv and thought it was about time I purchased one of his albums and I'am glad I did,well worth the paltry sum of £5.38 just for Oliver's army alone
on 9 June 2014
I love the songs on this CD, in fact I've got most of the albums that they come from, but a CD is much easier to enjoy while travelling. I still play the vinyl records I own by Elvis Costello, but like that I can listen to these songs in the car
on 29 November 2010
Brillant collection. It never ceases to amaze me how much this artist has achieved and the diversity of his songwriting. The songs remain important; significant and I would recommend it to anyone who has never listened to Costello before.
on 1 May 2016
I rate Elvis and his band as highly a Graham Parker & the Rumour, purely, to me,they are qnintessential to my image of the eighties scene in England- they are both quirky and eccentric musicians, "loved by people they touch"!