5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent - drenched in emotion.
Published on 25 May 2007 by D. A. Rees

2.0 out of 5 stars Foiled
Album is good, but this item took over the stated time of delivery. I have yet to play it so i cannot state the quality of the sound. I did email the seller but he did not reply to my emails...
Published on 13 May 2011 by Debs

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent - drenched in emotion., 25 May 2007
D. A. Rees (Christchurch, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foiled (Audio CD)
If you like your music to be thoughtful, honest and emotional then Blue October will appeal to you. I first heard them on an online radio station and was immediately interested. I took a risk and bought this CD - wow. I was totally hooked on the passion and rawness of emotion, the lyrics are unashamedly personal without overdoing the sentiment and the music is powerful and evocative. What makes Blue October stand out from the rest is their ability to tackle many styles - clearly they are excellent musicians and they have an epic frontman in Justin. I hope that they come to the UK soon as I would drive through the night to see them, they are a band who would command fierce loyalty, I think, from fans.

This Cd has so many stand out tracks, opening with the marvellous 'You make me smile' - Yes he does sound like Peter Gabriel but that is no bad thing and his voice is full of the emotion of his lyrics - you know these words matter to him - consequently you are drawn in yourself! Other high points include 'She's my ride home' the huge US hit 'Hate Me' and menacing 'What if we could' - in fact all the tracks are excellent!

I love this CD, it is now one I cannot live without, because whatever mood I am in I can find something to appeal to me - I can't say that about many other bands.

Blue October deserve to be huge, hopefully the demons that haunt Justin can be exorcised in his music and he can enjoy the success! Check out 'History for Sale' too, the cd that came before this one - it is also superb! Take a chance - buy this CD - it is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unknown band!, 1 May 2007
G. L. Williams "simplygregguk" (South West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foiled (Audio CD)
This band are huge in America and i only eard them by chance on the radio once. The song i heard was 'She's My Ride Home' and it got me hooked to their unique sound. The song they are most famous for is 'Hurt' and that is a song that should make anyone want to buy this album!

Try and listen to any of the songs, if you love them, buy the album!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the version of "Foiled" to buy - so buy it!, 28 Jan 2007
N. Hudson (Red Lodge, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foiled [Us Import] (Audio CD)
My only gripe with this album is that the European version of "Foiled" comes with the "bonus" tracks Independently Happy and Chameleon Boy, at the expense of the hidden track at the end of this, the American release, I didn't realise this until too late, and I am considering selling my copy and buying the American version. I've not heard the hidden track, It's Just Me, but have only heard how great it is.

For that reason alone, I'd suggest buying this, the American version - especially if you can get it for around the same price. Though you might not have their earlier albums before you buy this album, if you like "Foiled" you'll probably be unable to resist purchasing them, and you'll only end up with two redundant "bonus" tracks, as I have.

Whichever version of "Foiled" you buy though, you will be onto a winner. Justin Furstenfeld's vocals are drenched with emotion - and that's no hyperbole.

If you're a fan of only one or two particular genres of music, then you'll probably still find at least one or two songs on here you'll like (even love!). But the eclectic nature of Foiled might well turn you off, as Blue October effortlessly run through a wide variety of styles.

It might sound then as if the album is disjointed. On the contrary, the whole thing holds up very well. Despite the disparate musical styles, the lyrical content is fairly similar, providing some sense of commoness. But it is, in my opinion, the vocals which hold the whole thing together.

I don't like labels. To label a group is to unfairly pigeonhole them, especially when the boundaries between genres is often very vague and blurred. I get the impression that Blue October aren't too worried about labels either. This is an album for those who like music, in all its shapes and forms.

4.0 out of 5 stars An album for music lovers, 28 Jan 2007
N. Hudson (Red Lodge, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foiled (Audio CD)

Justin Furstenfeld sounds remarkably like Peter Gabriel, and it is the constancy of his singing which carries the band across the genres so sucessfully. Because of the similarity in their voices, it is hard not to make comparisons between Blue October and Peter Gabriel, suffice to say that if you like one you probably will like the other. Furstenfeld is, though, a lot more emotive than I've ever heard Gabriel. It would be no hyperbole to say that Furstenfeld's vocals are drenched in emotion.

My only gripe with this album is that the European version of "Foiled" comes with the "bonus" tracks Independently Happy and Chameleon Boy, at the expense of the hidden track at the end of the American release, It's Just Me. I didn't realise this until too late, and I am considering selling my copy and buying the American version. I've not heard It's Just Me, but have only heard how great it is. And while Independently Happy and Chameleon Boy are great tunes (IH is one of my favourite BO songs), they are taken straight from previous albums, "Consent to Treatment" and "History for Sale". Not much of a bonus, in my opinion...

In short, you can't go wrong with this album. I'd suggest buying the American version if you can get it for around the same price. Though you might not have their earlier albums before you buy this album, if you like "Foiled" you'll probably be unable to resist purchasing them, and you'll only end up with two redundant "bonus" tracks, as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this album, 8 Aug 2008
This review is from: Foiled (Audio CD)
This album is amazing. Two of my favourites are 'Sound of pulling heaven down' and 'hate me'! So emotional.
I first heard the songs at the Breaking Dawn concert in New York.
Wow. thats all im gonna say. Wow...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, and excellent, 4 Nov 2006
A. D. Scotchman (Aberdeen UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foiled (Audio CD)
Heard some tracks on a visit to the US and bought the album (CD). A good varied selection of songs in a more "interlectual" style than most US Rock groups. IT was well worth the risk of buying a CD based on "Radio Played" tracks - as all the songs on the CD are good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best live band ever!, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Foiled [Us Import] (Audio CD)
Went to see this band live for the first time last year... Absolutely stunning band live! So much emotional, before their recent album was released, I thought this album was the best, however since their recent release, I think this is now 2nd in line ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars great band !, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Foiled [Us Import] (Audio CD)
bought for one song ended up like every one !! now im going to have to get some more! very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music that reminds me of what has been lost, 5 Aug 2010
This review is from: Foiled (Audio CD)
I was recommended this group by a good friend I worked with in SA. I was caught after listening to just one track "Hate Me", the emotion in the vocals and lyrics reminded me of a type of music i had forgotten about. Or maybe this type of music had been removed from my life due to the monotonous nature of radio stations here in the UK nowadays. It is rare to find any station playing music that has not bought it's way onto the airwaves. This album was a like a breeze of fresh air into my music library and is now a regular on my play-lists. I look forward to discovering more relatively unknown bands to support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue October - Foiled : Good sound quality, 11 May 2010
This review is from: Foiled (Audio CD)
I have been searching for CD's that are recorded well. I bought this purely because I am sick of dynamically crippled CD's where the sound turns to mush whenever things get busy - (this appears to be the norm for most modern recordings) and I found favourable references to its sound quality.

I had never heard of the group before or heard any of their music and it was a complete gamble.
The firt time I listened to it, it kept me interested enough to play the entire CD and I thought it was Ok, with a few good tracks. It has grown and grown on me and now I can't stop playing it.
It has elements of heavy rock but there's always a good tune running through. Not all the album is heavy and it would be difficult to draw any comparisons. In fact the album is so varied everyone will enjoy at least one track!
Some of the reviews I read suggested vocals similar to Peter Gabriel and I would confirm this on several of the tracks- but what is really a refreshing change, is that the album actually sounds good on decent equipment. Buy it, make sure the neighbours are out and then play it loud on some decent kit!

Foiled