5.0 out of 5 stars Real music for music lovers
I despair of the terrible arrogance of most reviewers of this thoroughly classy Diana Krall bossa nova album. I'm a musician and composer so maybe that's why I can appreciate what's on offer here. The band plays the music to perfection, the orchestral arrangements are exquisite and Krall's breathy vocal delivery compliments these perfectly.

There's too much...
Published on 26 April 2010 by Bagpuss

2.0 out of 5 stars THE ANTICIPATION OF THE NEW TURNED TO DISSAPOINTMENT
Published on 26 April 2009 by Mr. P. Houldershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Real music for music lovers, 26 April 2010
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)

There's too much emphasis on music having to be raw and edgy - what if that's not the artist's or musicians' intention? Does that make anything they do pointless or schmaltzy? No - but you do have to listen and not be afraid of gentle, sweet sounds. Turn it up and feel this gorgeous music envelop you. I listen to all sorts, from Ornette Coleman to Ligeti, so I'm not some nattering old gimmer sipping tea to radio twee. I'm just not swayed by some false notion of authenticity and anti-tonal prejudice.

This is a fantastic record - on a par with the very best jazz recordings. Just don't judge it by comparing it to Coltrane or expect it to be something it isn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real melodies, deliciously performed., 3 Aug 2009
R. G. Miller (Taunton, Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
As a crusty old (70) jazzer I often despair at the lack of jazz and good old songs on the radio these days, so when something like this comes along I jump at the chance. I was not disappointed. Diana Krall is a brilliantly talented musician, both vocally and keyboard-wise, supported by very professional accompaniment.

As for the "slow and dreamy" flavour (which many have criticised, I notice) well, that's a personal taste thing, isn't it? It has been my cup of tea for many years and Diana Krall does it perfectly, adding her own inventive signature to every song.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to Diana Krall's canon!, 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
For the life of me I can't understand many of the reviews written concerning "Quiet Nights"! Some complain that there's not enough Jazz in this album, while most point out how 'breathless' or 'whispery' Diana Krall's singing voice sounds here. I guess there's no two ways about it, and either you love her style or downright hate it. I love her so very much and, consequently, I'll most definitely be and sound biased in my review.
I love every song in this album and Ms. Krall's homage to Brazil's Bossa Nova music makes it a bit different from her previous albums. Moreover, it means more to me than it might have to others because I'm Portuguese and Bossa Nova speaks volumes to me culturally, and especially the track 'Este Seu Olhar' (roughly translated: 'That Look in Your Eyes') was so enchanting! What did not change was the way that the music moves me, being so soothing and marvellously orchestrated, to the point where I wept when I first listened to some of the songs included here.
I must stress that I'm not a Jazz fanatic and in fact much of it turns me off. That being said, I feel this album falls in the same category as "The Look of Love" and a great chunk of "When I look in Your Eyes" did, where Diana Krall gave a new lease of life to old classic standards to such a degree it me made me fall completely in love with her musical style.
My final words will be a small side note: I saw Diana Krall perform live in Lisbon last October, and she sounded absolutely wonderful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 10 Jan 2010
Stuart A. Smith (Edinburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
Quiet Nights has had some mixed reviews , however, I think it is a fabulous collection of songs. Here Diana returns to the bossa nova style and ballads reminicant of her Look Of Love album in 2001 - if you liked that one you will like this too.
Diana's voice is breathy but rich and the arrangements by Claus Ogerman are lush and laid back - perfect for guess what a quiet night in. Highlights for me are Rodgers and Hart's Where Or When , Diana's take on The Boy From Ipanema , Johnny Mercer's Too Marvelous For Words and Sammy Cahn's Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry - all fabulous. The package also contains 2 bonus tracks in the form of How Can You Mend A Broken Heart and Every Time We Say Goodbye - georgeous.
Give this a shot its a lovely relaxing listen - looking forward to the next one Diana!

4.0 out of 5 stars The iconic diva returns with a mixed bag., 10 July 2009
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
"Quiet Nights" is Diana Krall's twelfth album, which marks her first work with the 79 year-old legendary arranger Claus Ogerman (Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim) since 2002's "Live in Paris", and her first studio work with Ogerman since 2001's "The Look of Love".

She may have started out as a jazz pianist/vocalist but these days Diana Krall seems to have ditched any semblance of swing in favour of sickly string arrangements.

Her voice is lush and exquisite but she overdoes the breathiness - to the point that one wonders if a ventilator is required - and sticks too much to indistinguishable, slow bossa novas and ballads.

The result is a florid and bland album that washes over the listener.
My favourite tracks are : "Too Marvelous For Words", "Walk On By", and "So Nice".
The album reaches # 1 of Billboard Top Jazz Albums. Issue date 2009-04-18
Live In Paris
Lazy Afternoon track # 5
Brazil duet with Diana Krall on track # 3
You're My Thrill

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl demise has been greatly exaggerated, 4 May 2011
G. R. Walker "skyblu" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Nights [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Typically sultry Dianna Krall outing with some excellent covers such as Lady Days "Guess I'll hang my tears out to dry" and Astrid Gilbertos "Girl from Ipanema", changed to "boy" by Diana. But it's the 180G Vinyl that makes this album a must buy. With Hi-Res 24/96 and 24/192 files available as download, you would think that Vinyl has finally had it's day. Not so it seems. Even with budget players Vinyl has a compelling quality. I'm a fan of Apples Lossless codec 'though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful, 1 Sep 2014
Munkydog (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
My favourite Diana Krall album. Since first hearing this I have gradually been collecting her others. Very stylish, atmospheric, relaxing but not soporific. Because of this album I have been exploring Jobim and Bossa Nova. This then lead me to Nancy Wilson and on to discover many more albums. It kind of leads on like a chain, but I keep coming back to listen to this one. Wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful album but then not truly surprising as most of Ms Krall's work is. Some great songs, lovely arrangements and that sweet, sometimes deep voice. Add her terrific piano playing and you have a winner. Certainly a good place to begin if you want to sample Diana Krall but then she seems to turn out consistently first class albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music for Ageing Lounge Lizards, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
Some reviewer below - or above - from Croydon, in Australia (I didn't know there was a Croydon In Australia! I wonder if it is as pretty and hospitable as the Croydon in England) suggested this was music to listen to if you are feeling sleepy or stoned or both. Is this a bad thing? I would have to agree - this is post or pre-coital music - and a joint or two to accompany it would probably be good - if only it was legal.

I have listened to all of this album. If you are a Diana Krall fan I don't know why you wouldn't like it. If you don't like her 'come and do me' way of singing then this isn't going to be for you. Personally I find this album very pleasant.

2.0 out of 5 stars THE ANTICIPATION OF THE NEW TURNED TO DISSAPOINTMENT, 26 April 2009
Mr. P. Houldershaw "houldershaw" (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
I rate Diana very highly. As a rule. She certainly has something 'extra' in the quality of her voice, that will only get better as it matures. This album seems a long time in the making - and because of that, my anticipation was high. Sadly that turned to dissapointment after hearing it. The choice of songs could have been better. The world doesn't need another 'Ipanema', and 'Walk on by' is too obvious as the follow up to 'the look of love' she recorded previously. She seems to be overstating the smokyness of her voice, as if to state 'haven't I got the most sensuous voice you've ever heard?' It's almost a characature of her style. The album would have been so much stronger of they had produced more 'genuine' Brazilian music. All in all it feels like the kind of album the likes of Nancy Wilson could record in 3 days during the 60's. Almost a filler until the next one comes along. Maybe she is too proccupied with producing Barbra Streisand's new album. Having said all that - it is still a listenable album, but not a classic.

Quiet Nights
Quiet Nights by Diana Krall (Audio CD - 2009)