‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening, 23 May 2006
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
What makes a 'supergroup'? Is it releasing 25 top-20 albums over 40 years? Maybe. Is it playing sell-out world tours to 150,000 people every night? Maybe. Is it being record-company puppets, delivering an album and three top-10 singles every two years? Maybe. If any or all of the above are true, then Talk Talk are certainly not a 'supergroup'. If, however, making truly heartfelt music with great tunes, brilliant vocal performances and fantastic arrangements counts for anything, then this band makes the grade. Time is the ultimate test for any artist. This collection shows, even in the early 80's pop tunes presented here, that Talk Talk's music easily passes that test. Be in no doubt - Hollis and Co's efforts are brilliant and a must for any music lover. The 4 albums up to 'Spirit of Eden' are represented by at least three tunes each, with an additional two from 'The Colour of Spring' and a pair of B-sides not released elsewhere making up the rest . A couple of serious omissions, e.g. 'Candy' from 'Talk Talk' (a taste of things to come), and 'Happiness Is Easy' from 'The Colour Of Spring' with the brilliant Danny Thompson on double bass, may disappoint hardened fans looking for a one-stop-shop, but otherwise buy it - if not for you, then for your children! And when you have bought it, don't put it in your 'library' for the sake of the library, as is the fate of most 'important' music, but play it! Then play it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime. A reminder of days of 80's youth., 28 Jan 2006
Mr. D. Tuffin "tuffers" (Gillingham, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
From their naive but gorgeous synth-based beginnings (the powerful "Talk Talk" and somehow wistful "Today"), this band never cease to move the listener. Talk Talk should not be dismissed as just another 80's band. Much like XTC their emotive lyrics grab and keep hold of you from start to finish. "My foolish friend" will have angst-ridden teenagers of today venting their spleens about parents, teachers and other kids, while us 80's kids won't be much different as we reminisce. Mark Hollis'truly-heart-felt vocals never cease to impress, whether it be pounding out "life's what you make it" or caressing the words of intense emotion about drug addiction in "I believe in you". Their "Colour of Spring" album stands as a classic. Listen to it and as the last notes of Time is time ring out, I defy you not to pause and say "wow". While Colour of Spring was a turning point (not admired by some of the band's earliest followers), it only hinted at the lyrical genius nee poetry that is "The spirit of Eden".
This album is but a soupcon of the talent of Talk Talk. For beginners, buy this and then go and buy every album they have made. Each one took years to make so they had better be good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely flowing testemonial for a highly-underrated band, 12 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Talk Talk were one of the seminal bands of the 1980s, always there just below the surface of the mainstream, quietly working away on imaginative and uplifting records while the rest of the music industry produced dross in large amounts.
The Very Best of Talk Talk (1997) is a worthy compilation of their finest moments, although their million-selling compilation Natural History had seemingly already filled the 'compilation gap' back in 1990 quite adequately. The Very Best Of brings us up to date following their minimalist 'Laughing Stock' album of 1991, which followed directly in the footsteps of their ground-breaking (yet commercially disastrous) Spirit Of Eden release in 1988.
How they never managed to accumulate a single UK Top 10 hit, one can only guess, because the tunes are certainly there (although they did have several big hits in Europe and a couple in the US). Mark Hollis and Co. just did'nt want the limelight and preferred playing to more intimate audiences rather than stadiums while TV appearances were almost nil, save a couple of TOTP performances. This compilation shows their vast array of work between 1982 and 1991. Ranging from the electro-synth pop of Today and Talk Talk from 1982's The Party's Over, through the more cohesive, classic mid-80's singles It's My Life, Dum Dum Girl, Such A Shame and Life's What You Make It up to the minimalist output from Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock (not actually intended as singles by the band), this shows a band that was steadily moving towards their true musical forte, in direct contradiction to their record company's requirements.
If not for anything else, this compilation is worth buying for the inclusion of their greatest moment, namely Living In Another World from 1986's The Colour Of Spring, their great lost single and one of the finest pop tracks of the 1980's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brought it all back, 19 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
I recently came across the Talk Talk show filmed in Montreux(I think it's available on DVD)and it stopped me in my tracks (no pun intended). In the move from vinyl to CD I had forgotten about how much I love Talk Talk's 'colours of spring', the open space in the recording and Mark Hollis' unmistakable vocals. 'The Very Best' is a good album; it misses a couple of tracks I would have included but more than makes up for this with the inclusion of some earlier works new to me. If you have to have just one Talk Talk album you could do much worse than choosing this one. I placed it in the CD player and the years disappeared...

5.0 out of 5 stars self-destructive bravery that excels to this day, 18 Nov 2004
T. Norton "still learning..." (key west) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
This was one brave band folks! They savaged their own careers at the height of their fame for their belief in a more expressive form of popular songcraft. The emotional vocabulary of this body of work knows few equals, most notably the deceptively deadpan Velvet Underground, the incomparable Dusty Springfield, and the little-known yet hugely influential Blue Nile (whose "A Walk Across the Rooftops" was surely the inspiration for Talk Talk's turning point effort "The Colour of Spring"). Like all of the artists mentioned, this band should most be heard by those least likely to listen. You can change that, and I promise the rewards will be great. Imagine a world of emotional possiblities and a love of music that is greater than your love of self....

5.0 out of 5 stars 80's Catch-up, 23 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Missed many bands in the 80's. This band's live performance on Sky Arts 1 made me want to check out a best of. Not disappointed. Very reasonable cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars very best of talk talk, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
I thought talk talk were just a one-hit wonder 80's band, (It's my life) didn't realize how good the rest of their stuff is.
this CD has been a fixture in my player, for weeks,- dreamy synthesizer, great songs, truly impressive! buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great record from a great band, 9 Sep 2009
German Dominguez Mairen "ERIC DRAVEN" (MADRID, SPAIN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
one of the forgotten bands of the eighties, for me is essential to take them into account when we remember this age. This collection brings all the hits together without any exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Eighties Poptastic Angst, 10 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
In my haste to become up to date and purchase the latest technology I forgot one thing - the record deck. So I have 5 CD slots and a billion vinyl albums to replace, whats a girl to do?
I had a choice, which classic LP do I replace first. It had to be Talk Talk - The Very Best.
Its an album of classic eighties angst. 'Its my life dont you forget' a tune to soothe any henpecked teenager. Then the self titled 'Talk Talk' for anyone who was ever cheated on. But my favourite of all my foolish friend -how many times has someone interfered (see its my life). I listen to this album and I am transformed. I am back in the eighties bedroom, wrestling with my conscience again. Do i give him up! Im no Dum Dum Girl.
I love this album, for me its an eclectic mix of emotions and facts. Its the 1980's in a small neat package.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 April 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Great to have all the songs I so love in one cd. I have been a fan for many years and this did not disappoint.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›