on 27 April 2010
I always remember June Christy as a blonde sophisticated lady who sings classy, romantic love songs and ballads that are very unusual with difficult melodies which one doesn't often hear them played on the radio or record shops. She was above all, a stylist and inimitable lyrical interpreter of songs. She didn't have the prettiest voice in the world but her voice is mesmerising, warm and intimate - when she sings, she sings as if she was singing in your living room - she sings just for you. This is one of my favourite albums by her (two records combined into one) - such a bargain for this lush, romantic album. I love it. Her voice often reminds me of the singers from Lee Wiley era with her dark, smoky, sophisticated singing style and unique way of phrasing.

The first album I've ever bought by her is called "Gone for the day". It became my all time favourite album by June Christy. It's such a vintage album, so sumptuous and romantic! If you like this album, I would recommend Gone for the day because there are so many unusual songs in it. Her records became very costly for she usually sang with a big orchestra. After the Beatles came out, sadly no one really was interested in her sophisiticated quality music (she sings art songs in my opinion) any more. So, gone were the good old days when the sincereity and beauty of the meaningful lyrics in music was cherished. They don't make them like that anymore.

Recommendations: June Christy and Stan Kenton - the most elegant album - "Duet"
June Christy's career began in the forties when she sang with the Stan Kenton band. She went solo and released a series of outstanding albums in the fifties. The two albums here, from 1960 and 1963, maintain the standard of her fifties music, but they are among the last she recorded. These albums were not produced by Pete Rugelo, famous for producing many of June's fifties albums, but by Bill Nelson, who proved to be a very capable replacement.
The first album, Ballads for night people, is not quite as low-key as the title suggests, but opens with a very low-key version of Bewitched, almost unrecognisable compared with the more famous Doris Day version. Elsewhere, there are a couple of Duke Ellington compositions including Don't get around much anymore on which June picks up the tempo a little. Even so, this song is still performed with restraint, and it works well. The other songs are excellent, but none of them are instantly recognisable.
The second album making up this twofer, Intimate Miss Christy, is much sparser, more intimate, and therefore (to my ears) even better, with just a guitar, a bass and sometimes a flute to back up June's lovely voice.
There are several songs on this album that will be familiar to fans of the Great American songbook including Spring is here, Fly me to the moon, Time after time, The more I see you, It never entered my mind, Misty and I get along without you very well. Although the songs may be familiar, June's versions are as good as any.
This is a truly wonderful twofer that no June Christy fan should be without.