on 8 December 2009
I got this as a present last year, not one of the seeds germinated! And before you think it is my gardening skills, i also planted chillis from just a normal seed packet from the garden centre, all of those produced big helthy plants with amazing chillis!

Dont bother with this pack!
on 12 December 2009
Bought this gift for my boyfriend and it was the biggest waste of money - none of the 4 seeds germinated, yes it contains everything you need but pop down to any garden centre buy a plantpot and some soil then use a chilli from the supermarket, you'll get far better results for a 10th of the price!!
on 17 May 2010
I read the reviews of this product, which were very mixed, and I thought i'll give it a go. Following the instructions, but 4 weeks later....... nothing and they are going in the bin.
on 17 January 2010
I got this for a Christmas present and planted the seeds on 30/12.

The first germinations took about 9 days and 24 out of the 27 seeds included have germinated! (much more than I expected)

Two criticisms however:

...one is that on the box it says that it includes "one of the world's hottest varieties" ...this is not actually true, the hottest varieties in this pack are around 50,000 Scoville units, the hottest in the world are between 400,000 and up to over 1,000,000!!

...the second is that the "Coir" compost pellets provided are not really a satisfactory growing medium, I compared them with some of the same seeds I planted in normal compost and after a month the plants in the coir were much smaller and yellower than the others...

I think you'd be better off with seeds and compost from a garden centre...
on 4 September 2010
Feeling a bit green-fingered after watching a complete marathon of River Cottage series, i decided to purchase this set!

Despite the inaccurate growing guides, which were about a month or so out of whack...the results have been fantastic and have far than exceeded my expectations!
I currently have 8 different plants growing, 3 of these are over a foot high with the rest under that. Everyone has started to bear fruit, with my biggest plant having 15, yes 15 4inch chillies growing from them. I am astounded, as in total from 3rd Sept 2010, i have 32 chillies in their various stages of growth!! The only problem is that the wood on which i wrote the names of the chilli plants has faded away, so i am growing the varieties without knowing what exactly each one is.

This has been my first ever time ive ever grown anything myself, which is accompanying strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorn, baby corn, broad beans..to name a few (Thanks hug-fearnley and jamie o!!) but i have been very happy with this pack. It just takes lots of patience, and transferring your plants to proper soil!

I would not suggest buying as a birthday/xmas present for a child, as they will get bored waiting. I am 24 and have been so busy with university/work that the time has flown by, but it has taken since April to finally get results!!
on 10 April 2012
the seeds would not germinate on the windowsill on my kitchen, after looking into it i found out that chilli plants need to be 20-30 degrees constantly to germinate. ...this is pretty much impossible without intervention in the UK.

i put the plants in my airing cupboard ensuring they were well watered and they sprouted within 3 days!!! :D

they are apparently alot easier to grow when germinated so back to the kitchen they go :D
on 8 April 2010
I bought these as a gift for my partner at Christmas. We have tried several attempts over the last few months to grow these to no avail (they have been on a warm window sill). I have been told that chillis are usually easy to grow - I can only assume that the seeds were out of date.
on 6 February 2010
I bought this set as a present for my boyfriend, he had planted the seeds as instructed and only three/five varieties have germinated, has a good selection and includes everything you need, but i wouldn't recommend buying it as it would be much better to get some seeds from your local garden centre
on 17 June 2011
I planted mine in feb, didnt germinate until april (so not the 10days they say on the packaging) i now have like 20 chilli plants that are about a foot high! havent produced chillies yet but it says they will in july / august so im still waiting. but im very pleased so far.

I repotted each individual chilli plant into its own pot when they were about an inch high and used potting compost. i then watered each day with about a table spoon of water, but sometimes forgot to do this. They have been in my out house which gets warm during the day. i dont mind if they produce chillies, its the satisfaction of growing something from seed and seeing it grow that i like. i would say just buy it and see if they grow! all mine did. every single seed!
on 30 November 2010
I bought these for both my son and my brother last Christmas thinking it was a great tree present for 2 chilli fans!! Neither of their Chilli's grew. My sons were in out conservatory right next to my chilli seeds that I got from the garden centre, mine went wild and are still producing fruit, yet my son's had 1 seedling appear which then died. My brother planted seeds he got from a chilli he sliced and got a good crop from them instead. Biggest waste of money! very disappointed. I would strongly advise you do not waste any money on this it's just compact dirt and dead seeds!