5.0 out of 5 stars It Is What It Claims To Be, 7 Dec. 2006
Ian Craig "[IC]" (Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
Just to add a couple of useful notes (for the benefit of the unknowing) as an appendage to what "A Music Fan" has said in the preceding review, below. This Compilation Album CD Re-issue (Re-issued by a different company with a simplier cover - originally on Purple Records - from 1974, I Think) contains 4 (Definitive Version) live tracks mixed with 4 studio album tracks.

Of The 4 Live tracks, 3 are from the original release of Made In Japan -1- Strange Kind Of Woman; -2- Smoke On The Water; -3- Child In Time, While The 4th - 'Black Night' First appeared on this Compilation Album & later re-appeared on the 'New, Live & Rare' Vinyl Single in 1977 But also appears now with a longer intro on the album 'Made In Japan - 25th Anniversary Edition' on the 2nd CD. However the sound has been tampered with on that album & The Tracks Don't Sound The Same to me at all. So I recommend getting this Album '24 Carat' & an original copy of 'Made In Japan' on CD. These 4 tracks in these versions are, as far as I'm concerned the definitive ones & listening to the 'Made In Japan - 25th Anniversary Edition' is something I do not do anymore. (Further Note: It is Only 'Made In Japan - 25th Anniversary Edition' Which Suffers from This Alteration. All the other Anniversary editions are Excellent). I listen to the original 'Made In Japan' (or the 'Live in Japan' 3CD version of these concerts) & 'Black Night' From This.

The four studio tracks are from 'In Rock (1970)' - 'Speed King' (The Definitive version, the ferocious intro being reason enough); 'Fireball (1971)' - 'Fireball'; 'Machine Head (1972)' - 'Never Before'; & 'Who Do We Think We Are (1973)' - 'Woman From Tokyo'.

Further Note:

There is a copy of this album with a different title released about 5 years ago 'THE ESSENTIAL ... DEEP PURPLE'. It has an Identical tracklist & Content But Has COPY PROTECTION on the CD. DO NOT BUY IT, IT HAS RUINED COMPUTERS! Buy '24 Carat Purple' Instead.

I Note that there is now a Japanese Import version available which appears to have the original front cover, though that won't mean much to anyone who didn't own the album on L.P. in the first place, I Presume.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 Golden Nuggets from MK2 Purple's glory years., 26 April 2013
David Cook (Hurlford, near Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
Originally released in 1975, this was an excellent snapshot of the classic lineup of Deep Purple (Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Roger Glover & Ian Paice) in all it's early 70's pomp.

The tracks are culled from In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, their seminal live album Made In Japan and also their last effort (until Perfect Strangers the following decade) Who Do We Think We Are. Also included is a storming live rendition of their biggest UK hit single Black Night (which was left off Made In Japan) and subsequently appeared in Britain as an import.

Ok there's more comprehensive Purple collections around but this is a great introduction to the classic era of MK2 Purple if you're still new to the band (where have you been?).

What shines through on every track is the superb musicianship and virtuosity of five musicians who were masters of their individual craft and as a unit were a force to be reckoned with.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Class, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Deep Purple via this album in 1977. It must be 15+ years since my cassette died the death and whilst I have the odd truncated tracks on various compilations I couldn't believe just how good this is second time around. Those live tracks are incredible.

Over the years I have collected an eclectic mix of music but this fits in nicely. It can be truly appreciated now I can afford a decent sound system rather than one that just pretended to be loud and noisy.

My son is a simmilar age to what I was then and he listens to computer generated R&B, but I think even he is moved.....

Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 4 April 2014
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
As background, this album has cost me a small fortune over the years; this was not only the very first Deep Purple album I bought with my pocket money back when it was first released but the first rock album I bought. This is a wonderful introduction to one of the best bands ever. My personal favourite track is Child In Time and was the reason I bought Made In Japan, the parent album for this masterpiece.
Go on, give your ears a treat. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic, 19 Sept. 2014
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
A good starting point if you have any interest in Deep Purple.
Every track is a classic especially the live version of Black Night.
This was a pub jukebox favourite along with Child In Time.
Then buy the box set of all of their albums or get the special editions.
The new series of live CDs, who needs utilities.
Remember the 70's unemployment, power cuts and heavy metal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Air Guitar Heaven, 21 Mar. 2011
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
The first album I ever owned as it still sounds raw and energetic.
Easily one of the best rock bands off all time and a collection of their gems are on this collection.

The great thing about 24 Carat is that you will want their classic albums, In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head and Made In Japan also.

5.0 out of 5 stars great group, 1 Oct. 2013
B. Pemberton (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
If you are a Deep Purple fan, then buy this disc. I have most of Deep Purple's albums in vinyl, but have lost the ability to play them now. The DVD is far better than the original works, Digitally enhanced makes the sound crisp and you can play it really loud without distortion. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Stuff, 9 Mar. 2010
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
Music does not come much better than this. This comes from a time when there were real musicians playing real music. Every single track is mighty. Deep Purple rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had this on vinyl back in the 70's. Can't ..., 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (MP3 Download)
Had this on vinyl back in the 70's. Can't explain why it's taken me so many years to buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb compilation album, 28 Jun. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
I suspect this compilation album was brought out largely as a taster for 'Made In Japan'- most of the tracks on it came from there - although it doesn't have 'Highway Star' contrary to the previous reviewers claim!
It was one of the first albums I ever bought as a spotty youth back in the seventies and remained my all time favourite for years until I finally discovered 'Made In Japan'.
If you're not familiar with DP and want to hear them at their best, then you can't do better than this album. On the other hand, if you're a DP diehard then you've probably got all the tracks in your collection already.

24 Carat Purple