5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gift
Good secret santa present. My colleague loved it and his kid even more !! Good way to start your magician experience.
Published 11 months ago by R. Fenerol

1.0 out of 5 stars Science museum - shame on you!
The box promises a full explanation of how it works and the science behind it.

The Science....What you mean the string it hangs by? When did that become science???

Published on 10 Oct 2009 by C. MORRIS

1.0 out of 5 stars Science museum - shame on you!, 10 Oct 2009
C. MORRIS (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
The box promises a full explanation of how it works and the science behind it.

I've been hoodwinked and as this is a Science museum product, they have to realise that this is damaging their brand - I love the science museum but will not buy any more of their toys. Don't be fooled, it's cardboard on a string.

You may like to know that the promised scientific explanation is actually an explanation of how molecules attach together to form the string. It beggars belief......I'm stunned that the Science museum had the audacity to put their name to this product!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very very disappointing, 1 Dec 2008
M. Cole (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
I purchased this product for various reasons, the promotional video looked fantastic with the silver UFO flying unaided around the room, the packaging was branded with 'Science Museum' so I assumed it would be educational and finally the box stated that 'the science behind this phenomena' would be explained. So whatever caused this UFO to fly was a scientific 'phenomena' & not just some silly trick.

Unfortunately the only science involved in the explanation of this UFO's ability to fly was the name of the very thin thread used to suspend the UFO from your EAR.

I had bought a flimsy silver disc & a piece of thread.

Very very disappointing indeed.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed indeed., 13 Aug 2009
Mr. Serdar Dundar (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
What a waste of money spent on an utterly useful piece of junk.
I totally agree with the other reviewers. The text on the box, the commercials are misguiding the buyer purposefully.

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel cheated, robbed, 15 July 2009
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
I was very impressed with the TV presentation in WHSmith, so I bought one for £9.99. I did check the box and was confident with my purchase as I saw the CE sign on it.

I was very disappointed and so was my 7 year old son when we opened the box and tried to follow the instructions on the free DVD. The so called 'mystery' is done by strings! I wonder how these people can cheat/rob other people out of their money so easily and can be allowed to get away with that just as easily! To lose £10 is bad, but to spend £10 on a product to get just disappointment in return is worse, intolerable!It is sheer cheating/robbery in disguise.

I will be writing to Science Museum and Fair Trading authority.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trading standards ...., 9 Dec 2008
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
Reported this one to local trading standards (I did not purchase at Amazon), and in the morning I'll be contacting the local authority of the distributors.

As others have said, don't consider buying this.

Its simply false advertising: it implies something that is not. If you bought it in a shop, return it on that basis. Bought at Amazon? Don't know their returns policy, but you should have read the reviews first ...

1.0 out of 5 stars I am so furious. Had to explain to my son why this was a trick., 8 July 2013
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
I saw this at Hamleys. We walked around the whole shop and it was the one thing that my son asked for over and over again.

We saw a big, happy, attractive dude demonstrating to 30 kids at a time how magical and amazing it was. All the kids jaws were dropping, it looked AMAZING.

I instinctively suspected it would not be what it claimed (because I have a good grasp of science and reality). So we bought something else.

Afterwards, I felt bad and figured I'd make it up to my son by buying it from Amazon.

Imagine how I felt when it arrived and the "trick" (trick? where's that fit in a SCIENCE product?) was some tiny strings?

And a DVD to tell you how to fool people, assuming you have the time or skill (as a 6 year old, I can tell you, he has neither the attention span nor skill to achieve this).

His first words when I showed it him were "Oh. So... there's no magic?" "No, son. There's no such thing as magic. This is just a trick."

He gamely played around with it for ten minutes before breaking two of the strings and becoming extremely disconsolate. I found him something else to do and put it away.

This is a terrible, horrible joke. Not to mention a terrible waste of money. Firstly, the parts would cost about one pound. Secondly, it's a TRICK. There's no magnets, no thermodynamics, none of the ways you might have guessed this thing maybe worked, it's just a STRING and some blobs of putty and a load of showmanship that no kid is going to achieve in a hurry.

I'm sickened by this. I'll never buy anything from the Science Museum range again. I don't feel good ever returning to the Science Museum, either. What the hell is the point?

You can sell this junk as a science toy?

You should be ashamed.

The only lesson my son and I got from this is that some people use the word 'science' to tell lies.

If that was your goal, MAN you achieved it.

To add insult to injury, there's a little slip of paper saying how you can get a FREE HOLOGRAM PROJECTOR because of your purchase. Going to the website, you find a typical postage-price scam, where the "free" thing costs 2.50 "postage" (and it is not, let me promise you, a 'hologram projector', it uses reflection to show a false-3d image). Another lie posed as science, to make cold hard cash.

I'm disgusted with this. I will post this everywhere in the hope nobody else every gets ripped off by you people again.

Sickening.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally over priced parlour trick. Not much science., 23 Nov 2008
alwyncooper "alwyncooper" (Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
I bought one of these on the basis of an instore display and the blurb on the packaging.
I took it back to the shop the next day, realising I'd been had.

The packaging and especially the video - online at YouTube - is SERIOUSLY misleading.

Do you get a flying toy? - NO.
Does the UFO fly on its own? - Not unless you throw it like a frisbee.
How does the UFO lift off and hover? - It is on a string (Yes really).
What do you get for your money? - Cardboard UFO, thin treads, instructions on making your performance look believable.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's on a piece of string: Mystery solved., 17 Nov 2008
B. R. Parsons "UFO maven" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
I really don't want to give this away, and it's not as though anyone really thought that this UFO would fly or anything, but this product is incredibly poor value for money. What you get is a a cardboard UFO and some string. THAT IS ALL. You can't even spin it convincingly. Spend 10p on some cardboard and some thread and save your money. You'll have a better time making it than using it anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst toy ever, 14 Mar 2010
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
The box shows a picture of a UFO hovering between your hands!

The box says "How on earth does this work??"

The answer: String! Stuck to your ear!

Worst toy ever.

However the comedic effect in seeing someone with a piece of string stuck to their ear trying to pretend it's "magic" is priceless....

1.0 out of 5 stars A piece of junk on a string. So what?, 16 July 2009
This review is from: Science Museum My Mystery Mid Air Floating UFO (Toy)
There is no "mystery", there is no "flying saucer" ... there is a bit of string (OK, very fine Kevlar and almost invisible). So how is this supposed to be anything other than a "one hit wonder" joke, and not a particularly good one at that. Cheap - but still vastly overpriced for what it is.