4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Debut Album
Published on 22 Aug 2009 by Mr. Martyn Lowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more.
Published on 11 Feb 2011 by The Scuba Monkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Debut Album, 22 Aug 2009
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
One of the best albums of the year. Every track is a grower and the group has the potental for much much more in the future. The songs are raw and at the same time melodic and catchy. I kind of liken it to a much heavier and darker version of the killers but there is also an eighties influence going on. Very very good album and much recomennded to those who like proper music.

4.0 out of 5 stars i love the feeling when we lift off, watchin the world so small below...., 6 Jan 2010
Ms. J. D. Weeks "indie fiend" (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Lose My Life (Audio CD)
Loved 'farewell to the fairground' so purchased the album wanting to hear more.... loving the first three tracks and 'farewell...'plus 'unfinished business' White Lies are in a league of their own really...such dark tones, deep poetic lyrics with strong images...a very very dark album, brilliant stuff though....intelligent music.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Please, 3 July 2009
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
It's hard to belive this is the debut album from these guys as this really is a top, top album. This album is worthy of at least a Mercury Music Prize nomination. Only downside is that there is only 10 songs. But don't let that stop you....this album rocks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars revisited, 29 July 2013
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
Haven't listened to this album for about 1 year, so thought I'd revisit it and I'm so glad I did. It's every bit as fantastic as I remember it being. It's dark, thought provocking and so much better than the other music from the noughties. When you have over 60GB of music, there aren't many albums this good that you can go back to and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
Love this cd I played it about ten times when I first got it . It has a slight 80's feel about it. It flows really well and all the tracks are good. there isn't one you want to fast forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock and Roll, 22 Dec 2012
mark (North east england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (MP3 Download)
I heard a few of their songs when away on a trip. This was the first album I came to and every song is excellent, Great rocky pop sounds that sound fresh and powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut!, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
I decided to come back to what i remembered as a good debut from dark rockers White Lies. Well i must say its an incredible album. Harry McVeigh's voice is magnificant, think a more powerful Ian Curtis. The drums sound powerful, the bass leads brilliantly and an eerie gothic feel surrounds the album.

'Death', 'To Lose My Life' and 'Farewell To The Fairground' are as catchy as rock music can be. Each building to an epic ending. 'E.S.T' is my favourite song here, simply for its dark, brooding sense while still keeping its cool rockiness. 'From The Stars' describes the scene of a funeral and its aftermath, yet like many songs on display its dark lyrics are conveyed into an upbeat rocker. 'Fifty On Our Foreheads' reminds me a lot of a less guitar driven Interpol. While 'A Place To Hide' and 'Unfinnished Business' are both excellent. Both 'Nothing To Give' and 'The Price Of Love' show the quieter side of White Lies, both being slower, brooding songs to round off excellently.

A top quality album, can only hope the boys next release is something more like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a decent band from the noughties, 18 July 2011
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
this is a great little gem of an album. superb production, powerful riffs, electro synth, tumbling drumbeats and visions of grey faded cities via a look back at 80's post punk dreams. brilliant stuff. best album of 2009 for me without a shadow of doubt.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more., 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (MP3 Download)
a friend raved about this band and i took the plunge to both buy this album and see them live recently. what can i say? i expected more. there's nothing 'wrong' with what they're doing as such. it ticks the boxes. and in a world where robbie williams walks the planet and jls are regarded as celebrities, this is light years ahead. but somehow there's something lacking.
the songs are just innoccous to the point of blandness. like the band sat down with some old joy division and new order albums. ian curtis vocals? check. hook style bassline? check. slow start to anthemic chorus? check. vaguely dark lyrics that may/may not pertain to some truth about the human condition? check. everything is there but in this case the result is not more than a sum of it's parts. the lyrics, when you listen carefully to them, are pretty cliched. if you fancy an '80s revival in the joy division vein, my advice would be to get hold of a copy of 'the back room' by the editors. or some of interpol's better stuff. overall: good but not great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly morbid yet uplifting, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Joy Division, Depeche mode etc. I found out about this band from playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on which they had a track called "Bigger than Us" I loved that track, so tried to find out more about the band. Unfortunately it seems "Bigger than Us" cannot be bought yet for some strange reason.

I decided to buy the album after listening to the sound clips and was not dissapointed. I think every track on this album is strong. Although they claim to not have been influenced by Joy Division there is definately some resemblance in some of the tracks, but I guess it hard to be ultimatly unique these days.

This is one of the strongest albums I have heard for a long time and I cannot wait to hear the next one.

To Lose My Life ...
To Lose My Life ... by White Lies (Audio CD - 2009)