4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Debut Album
Published on 22 Aug 2009 by Mr. Martyn Lowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more.
a friend raved about this band and i took the plunge to both buy this album and see them live recently. what can i say? i expected more. there's nothing 'wrong' with what they're doing as such. it ticks the boxes. and in a world where robbie williams walks the planet and jls are regarded as celebrities, this is light years ahead. but somehow there's something...
Published on 11 Feb 2011 by The Scuba Monkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Debut Album, 22 Aug 2009
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
One of the best albums of the year. Every track is a grower and the group has the potental for much much more in the future. The songs are raw and at the same time melodic and catchy. I kind of liken it to a much heavier and darker version of the killers but there is also an eighties influence going on. Very very good album and much recomennded to those who like proper music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut!, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
I decided to come back to what i remembered as a good debut from dark rockers White Lies. Well i must say its an incredible album. Harry McVeigh's voice is magnificant, think a more powerful Ian Curtis. The drums sound powerful, the bass leads brilliantly and an eerie gothic feel surrounds the album.

'Death', 'To Lose My Life' and 'Farewell To The Fairground' are as catchy as rock music can be. Each building to an epic ending. 'E.S.T' is my favourite song here, simply for its dark, brooding sense while still keeping its cool rockiness. 'From The Stars' describes the scene of a funeral and its aftermath, yet like many songs on display its dark lyrics are conveyed into an upbeat rocker. 'Fifty On Our Foreheads' reminds me a lot of a less guitar driven Interpol. While 'A Place To Hide' and 'Unfinnished Business' are both excellent. Both 'Nothing To Give' and 'The Price Of Love' show the quieter side of White Lies, both being slower, brooding songs to round off excellently.

A top quality album, can only hope the boys next release is something more like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars i love the feeling when we lift off, watchin the world so small below...., 6 Jan 2010
Ms. J. D. Weeks "indie fiend" (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Lose My Life (Audio CD)
Loved 'farewell to the fairground' so purchased the album wanting to hear more.... loving the first three tracks and 'farewell...'plus 'unfinished business' White Lies are in a league of their own really...such dark tones, deep poetic lyrics with strong images...a very very dark album, brilliant stuff though....intelligent music.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Please, 3 July 2009
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
It's hard to belive this is the debut album from these guys as this really is a top, top album. This album is worthy of at least a Mercury Music Prize nomination. Only downside is that there is only 10 songs. But don't let that stop you....this album rocks!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent debut album from an exciting band, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album from White Lies. Having recently enjoyed seeing them support Snow Patrol in their taking back the cities tour, I bought the album, and was extremely impressed.
It opens with the deep but catchy Death, followed by the single To Lose My Life. Although many of the songs have dark themes, they are enjoyable to listen to, have well composed lyrics and an uplifting feel.
My favourite song is Farewell to the Fairground, which is incredibly catchy and has more to it than meets the eye.
Overall, this is a fantastic debut album from the london group and I eagerly await further releases they will produce in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a decent band from the noughties, 18 July 2011
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
this is a great little gem of an album. superb production, powerful riffs, electro synth, tumbling drumbeats and visions of grey faded cities via a look back at 80's post punk dreams. brilliant stuff. best album of 2009 for me without a shadow of doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth? This is awesome!, 6 Feb 2010
S. MCBEATH "Stmcb" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
'To Lose my life' is the debut album by London based White Lies. In 2009, White Lies were arguably one of the hardest working bands in Britain. With sources counting up to 31 festival appearances, a support slot with Coldplay and headline tours of their own. I saw them twice in 2009 and both times I wasn't there to see them. T in the Park I was waiting to see someone else and supporting Coldplay where I always like to check out the support acts. I thought they were ok but would have helped if I had heard their album beforehand. Well now I've got it and our survey says...

This album is magnificent! Comprises of 10 tracks and there is not one bad song on it. Each track is a crowd pleasing anthem. Easy comparisons can be made to Editors and Interpol's more accessible stuff. But the reality is each of these songs has got the White Lies stamp on it.

Obviously though like any album there are going to be some tracks you like better than others. Its just in this case the others still rank pretty highly. If I had to choose my favourites it would be 'Death', 'A place to hide', 'Unfinished business' and 'Farewell to the fairground'. Yes I know that's 40% of the album but I just love those tracks in particular. They represent just why they have been invited to so many festivals and even though this is their first album they are coming on stage later and later as they move up the bills. I think the biggest variable with any band is the singer. Although you can get many degrees of talent with people playing different instruments. The singer's voice can be the big differentiator which is definitely the case with Harry McVeigh. The good thing about him as well is that the singing is not forced like some and just seems like his natural voice which of course means he sings well live. He does sound a bit like Tom Smith from Editors but with the difference in the tunes it makes WL stand out..

Now the other tracks; I have tried to look for flaws in these tracks even the more downbeat 'Nothing to Give', but I can't because it adds a new dimension to the album therefore giving the album a nice balance between upbeat and downbeat tunes. I think its of those albums you'll either you'll love it all or hate it. If you don't like one song I would not go any further in investigating the album. However if you like just one tune a bit, that song and the rest of the album will just grow and grow on you.

Overall this is by far the best debut album I have heard in 2009 in my opinion and is definitely in my top 10 albums of 2009. Each lyric I sang with such purpose and conviction and each note strum and till its note perfect. The only thing is where do they go from here, for their second album? No idea, but looking forward to it already!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PERFECT ALBUM?, 8 Sep 2009
Bryan R. Morris (HEREFORD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
Having seen White Lies on tv coverage of Glastonbury I bought To Lose My Life.... on the strength of the hits.Would the other songs live up to the expectations I had before listening?

Without any doubt it is the best album I have bought this year and is definitely in my Top Ten of all time.

The songwriting is excellent,the tunes instantly memorable and I can't think of a weak track.The stand out songs for me are A Place To Hide and Unfinished Business.

Can White Lies follow up with a better second album?I sure hope so.In the meantime,if you only buy one album from Amazon,make sure it is To Lose My Life....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a while, 24 Aug 2009
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
Essentially a mixture of strong influences. Editors provide the verse, The Killers with a helping of post punk 80's genre provide the chorus. Like the not dissimilar Longview album 'Mercury' of a few years ago, it is easy to get into but I fear I will tire of it equally quickly. For now though it is certainly worth a punt.

5.0 out of 5 stars revisited, 29 July 2013
This review is from: To Lose My Life ... (Audio CD)
Haven't listened to this album for about 1 year, so thought I'd revisit it and I'm so glad I did. It's every bit as fantastic as I remember it being. It's dark, thought provocking and so much better than the other music from the noughties. When you have over 60GB of music, there aren't many albums this good that you can go back to and enjoy.

To Lose My Life ...
To Lose My Life ... by White Lies (Audio CD - 2009)