5.0 out of 5 stars Clegg virgin, 25 Oct 2006
I was a Clegg virgin. I'd never even heard of him before I bought this CD. Well Scatterlings of Africa is a good track but there are so many more. I love the fusion of African and western music, the creative use of drums, the vocal choruses and harmonies, the use of instruments I had never heard before, the blend of exotic with familiar. My favourite track? Third world child. Anyone who can get the line "Keep away from controversial politics" into the lyric of a popular song deserves massive respect. Buy this album. It's great. If you too are a Clegg version just lie back and think of Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars His African dream, 7 April 2009
Simon A. Swale (Cornwall, Britain) - See all my reviews
I love this album. I bought the video of the songs about twenty years ago so the album reminds of happy times in warm climates surrounded by good friends. Johnny Clegg surrounded himself with excellent musicians in Savuka and they produce a unique sound that may seem, to some listeners, set in the late 80s. However, the quality, immediacy and content of the songs are timeless. Clegg has an acknowledgement in very small print on the sleeve of Paul Simon's Graceland album, but I often wonder if he was far more influential in that project than PS lets on. Anthropologist, apartheid campaigner, trades unionist, a fine lyricist, expatriate political commentator, world musician and band leader - the lad from Rochdale has done OK. This album is a great place to start for those who are not familiar with Clegg's canon - for those who are it is a valuable reminder of just how much good stuff he and Savuka have produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction, 14 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This album collects practically all of the best of Clegg. It is great for someone who wants a range of his music but just wants one CD.
For those not familiar with JC's music, this white Zulu (yes I promise!) and his band have put together some great contemporary African sounds. The most well known track is "Scatterlings of Africa" which was used in the Rain Man soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close your eyes..., 4 Nov 2009
M. P. Clare - See all my reviews
I spent three years in Zimbabwe in the mid-eighties (before the place was ruined) and all football on TV was preceded by Ibhola Lethu. It was and remains the greatest of all football songs and I haven't got a clue what the words mean! You don't need to know the meaning; simply close your eyes and feel the passion in the music and singing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Clegg, 7 April 2012
I had some of this music in the 80's and liked it alot, so decided to buy the best of CD containing all the music i wanted and some other tracks new to me. Brought back great memories and the new tracks seem just as good. I think this is better than the Paul Simon album influenced by South Africa and this is the real deal. I fully recommend this to any one who likes the Paul Simon album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Clegg - what a dream!, 16 Jun 2010
Dee of Hants (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In My African Dream is a great way of getting to know Africa and some of the current music trends. There are some super tracks and his lyrics take you to the heart of Africa. One track 'The Crossing' always makes the hairs on my neck stand up. Thrills me through and through. Now all I need is to be able to sing along with the local language!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Africa, 27 Feb 2009
Mr. Fred Gardener "Fermain" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I am a fan of Miriam Makeba and looked on the Amazon site for her discs and this disc popped up alongside. The reviews were not that good but bought it anyway. I find it a total knockout. The mix of traditional and modern music is excellent. I am besotted with anything Africa

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Clegg, 28 Dec 2009
D. Aitken (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Clegg & Savuka - In My African Dream (MP3 Download)
As good as I remember; vibrant, exciting and different. Third workl Child is a brilliant comment on the 'inevitable' westernisation of the native peoples of the world. Fortunately some traditions will survive for a bit longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic collection, 17 Dec 2013
A great introduction to the inspiring works of Johnny Clegg and Savuka. All the well known favourites and a couple more new ones. Excellent value! Johnny Clegg is brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Johnny Clegg, 5 Sep 2013
I bought this for a friends, hoping to introduce them to Johnny Clegg. I enjoy the songs on this album.