5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!
Published on 10 Dec. 2009 by Manders

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOUR HANDS
These straighteners are really good for straightening hair but the on/off switch is situated quite awkwardly and I have burned my fingers on more than one occasion.

Also they don't seem to switch themselves off after they have been left switched on for a long period which would have been good!
Published on 20 Nov. 2010 by RACHEL4444

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 10 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Nicky Clarke DesiRED Professional Salon Hair Straightener, NSS028 (Personal Care)
After reading up on these I decided to give them a go as I can't really afford to replace mybeloved GHDs right now. Got them at about 50% off but to be honest they're so good I would happily pay full price. They heat up in no time at all & the great thing is you can control the temperature, so I use them on the highest setting for most of my hair & then turn them low to do my fringe, where my hair is finer for some reason. I also only had to run through my hair once, to get it poker straight, and it STAYS straight throughout the day. For reference I'm mixed race & so have thick coarse hair. Oh, & curling hair is a dream with these as the whole red shiny outer bit is so sleek it doesn't drag on your hair. These are excellent straighteners, at an affordable price & I'm so glad I gave them a chance - money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and does its job, 27 Aug. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This particular Nicky Clarke straightener looks stunning, in a lovely red colour and is also well presented, in a box with a lift off lid. I always keep my straighteners in their box anyway, so having a top opening (instead of side like most come with) box is extremely useful. There is also a clear window built into the box, so if you gave it as a gift, then the recipient would be able to see the product straight away without even having to open it up.

As actual straightners I have found them excellent. They are the first ones that have actually got my hair fully straight and kept it like it all day. It is even relatively straight the next day too. I did not have to use them on the top heat setting for this either. There are not heat settings in particular on these, but more levels of heat which would be needed depending on your hair type 'medium, thick' etc, which obviously get hotter the thicker your hair is.

The cable is really long which makes them useful and means you can go and stand in front of your mirror with them, even if it is not right by your plug socket. Another good feature (which at first I thought was a bad one) is that the on/ off switch is inside the straighteners (as in near the plates). It is a little awkward to turn them on for this reason, but it turned out that this was actually a blessing as, unlike my old straighteners which have the button on the top, I do not accidently turn these ones off as I am working and have to wait for them to heat up again once I have realised.

The straighteners heat up virtually instantly and are quick and easy to use. The plates glide over hair well and leave it smooth and straight without having to go over the same section several times. Overall they are great for people who want ease of use, so they can plug in and go and are also really nice to look at, thus proving them a good all round product. My only quibble was the on/off switch, but this turned out to be a good thing really, as I previously mentioned. If you are looking for a good quality, attractive straightener, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very similar to GHDs :-), 14 Jun. 2012
Ms. P. Ritchie "bobbybobson" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I finally shopped around for new straighteners because, months ago, my GHDs went 'fizzle-pop' and I didn't want to fork out over £100 for new ones. All the reviews say these are as good as GHDs so I had to try them at £41. It's been so long since I used my last straighteners so it's difficult to compare but these ones definitely do the job.

The first time I used them I didn't want to fry my hair so I didn't put the setting to 'max' (like when you use a new iron and it melts your clothes!) but I think this caused my fringe, and the finer hairs near the front, to frazzle a bit. So every time after that I put them on 'max' and the result was much smoother and shinier, as you expect with decent straighteners.

The outside does get pretty hot so you have to watch you don't accidentally touch your neck, shoulders, face or ears but I love the feel of them, the look of them (colour and design) and now straighten my hair every day because I enjoy using them and am happy that I have a set once again.

Overall I'm pleased with these and would definitely recommend them :-) It beats shelling out £130 or thereabouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars just as good as ghd, 14 Jan. 2011
My beloved GHD's packed in a few weeks before christmas, and these straightners were on offer, so i got a pair to last me until after christmas. They are just as good as GHD's and im going to save my money and not bother getting new GHD's. I have always had GHD's and cant quite believe these are as good as them and cheaper too. I have recomended these to all of my friends!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very happy customer, 9 Oct. 2011
I didn't think any straightener could be as good as my GHD's but these have proven me wrong.

When my second pair of GHDs in four years died on me, I decided to give these ones a try.

I have thick, long hair and the Nicky Clarke 'Desired' Straightener's achieve a perfect result. They heat up to high temperatures and I really like the fact you can choose your desired setting of 'fine' 'medium' 'thick' or 'max'.

For the price these beat GHDs hands down and being honest, the performance and results I've had using them are definitely on a par with GHDs.

I'll be sticking with these from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very professional!, 3 Jan. 2011
I received this item, along with others in the range, for Christmas last year. They looked very professional in the packaging, and they performed very professionally on my hair! The first thing I tried was straightening; a task which would usually take me 30-45 minutes with my older Remington straightener. With the DesiREDs, it took me about 15-20 minutes; cutting the time by over half, brilliant! The thin-max setting for your hair is also great, as with my old straightener (where I had to digitally pick the temperature) I had no idea which setting was right for my hair type. Meaning it was often so straight it looked greasy, not straight enough so that it was curly by the end of the day, and also it would smell slightly burned. But with this product, it has made such a difference! My hair looks glossy and professionally styled, I used to think straight hair was dull and flat but this straightener makes it look so healthy, I've already has lots of comments on my 'new cut'... I've not had my hair cut in months!
The second thing I tried with this straightener was curling. It's even better than straightening! The curved sides to the straightener make it very easy and it does not pull or grab your hair like others often do. It glides through as softly as it does when you're straightening it, and doesn't really take too long. (I find it a very good idea to set it to one setting up from what you straighten with, as it gives more of a solid ringlet). I must be honest and say that i've curled my hair more than I've straightened it with this straightener! I have some Nicky Clarke curlers still in the box because this product has been so useful.
I definitely recommend this straightener, it looks great, it performs great, and it will make you look great! Buy it before it becomes discontinued!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for Money, 26 Jun. 2010
Love these straighteners, they glide through the hair with ease with out snagging and causing split ends. Result! :p x

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 15 Aug. 2013
I have been straightening my hair for 12 years now and have been through many hair straighteners in this time and I can honestly say these are the best I have used. As for GHD comparison - in my opinion these are much better. I never liked my GHD they look ugly for a start and after a while they just stopped straightening my hair so I sold them on ebbs!

Theses not only look good but they straightened my hair in almost half the time as others did, and it stayed straight and smooth all day, the next day it was a little poofy but that's just my hair, no straightener in the world cold keep my hair straight over night lol. anyway it only took me 2 mins to quickly go over it again in the morning so I'm very happy wit that in deed :-) highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight, light but tug at hair, 9 Aug. 2012
Pros:
- Very light straighteners (important for me, my arms aren't very strong!)
- Long, swivel cord
- Very fast to heat up
- Leave hair straight for days and also feeling very healthy. Unlike some straighteners, such as the similarly priced Tresemme, which leave your hair kind of lank and after a couple of days just looks unwashed, these don't seem to take the volume out of my hair which is great. Also if I use these after washing my hair, I can easily go a couple of days without washing it again, it still looks clean, healthy and straight (although on the third day it does have some kinks.)

Cons:
- I bought these specifically because I wanted to curl as well, and that's why I'm giving four stars. Curling is possible but is quite difficult, the end of the straightener gets very hot so you need to watch your fingers, and the plates aren't really long enough and don't grip the hair firmly enough to allow easy curling. It might just be a question of getting the hang of it but so far curling has been difficult.
- The floating plates are great as you don't trap your hair (with the Tresemme equivalent I was pulling out loads of hair because the plates are fixed) but this does mean there's a tiny gap at the top of the plates where your hair gets caught and snags. If you're careful you can avoid using the very top of the plate, but again with curling this is more difficult and if I don't have time to be careful my hair does snag.
- The 'clean and healthy' effect I mentioned can only be achieved using the maximum heat settings; as my hair is quite fine I wouldn't expect to use this high a heat, I haven't noticed any damage to my hair so far but not sure if it will be damaged long-term.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best straighteners ever!!!, 19 Jan. 2010
These straighteners are great. Very shiny and sleek and look salon quality. Very long lead which is a relief. I've had straighteners that I have struggled to reach my head with!!!!
My daughter and myself use them. I have thick, difficult to style hair and hers is fine, but these straighteners work equally well on both types.
They are a qaulity item at a great price.