5.0 out of 5 stars Consistant return from Post Hardcore Favs, 24 Oct 2008
I. J. Davies "The Rock Addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
As a long term FFAF fan, I am suitably pleased that after a slight dip in standard on TDTT, the boyos ave rediscovered some of the quirks which made them award winners earlier in their career. A touch of screamed vocals, but not too much as that genre is so overdone and passe now, and more importantly a return to time signature changes which they used to such good effect on early EPs and CDADIC. In feel this album is closer to Hours I guess, but pays homage to earlier styles, and tracks like Waterfront Danceclub, Cant see the Forest and Beneath The Burning Bush, are slotting in beautifully with the old stuff on their live set.

There isnt a bad track on the album, and I guess still some slow burners for me yet, in months to come I suspect Maybe I Am, Constant Illuminations et al to bury in my brain and take up squatters rights.

The DVD gives 3 vids, making of WD, an amateurish interview with a guy from Dirty Sanchez and some commentary on each track (which is a bit plodding)but all in all the DVD is worth paying the extra few quid for if you are a collector of FFAF stuff.

Great album from a great band, but if you want to see hear them at their best go see them live, they'll melt ya face !

4.0 out of 5 stars a wicked memory for all humanity who've listened to it, 11 Jan 2009
Mike Chase "icefire" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory & Humanity (Audio CD)
This album was created on the concept that they were gonna move away from the sound of TDTT. and revert back to their origins with slightly heavier music which we all know and love, including areas of the raw screaming prior to "Tales" performed by Ryan Richards. Saying this they stated they never intend to go exactly back to the days of "Casually Dressed..." because a sound should always be moved forward (I couldn't agree more.) Anyway it's safe to say they've done this. "Memory and Humanity" is brilliant not quite like their roots but still a more rockier album than anything they've released before or at least recently with more energy and brilliant melody as always. The track "Building" is a slow, light ballad with a beautiful sound. "Rules and Games" a brilliant opening with cracking verses and an amazing chorus, "To Die Like Mouchette" simply brilliant song with an awesome title. My criticisms are that the screaming vocals still are a bit minor, with only the single "Waterfront Danceclub", track 4 and 7 containing any in, and it has a scarce presence in those tracks as well but hey, not everyone's a screamo fan, i've just always thought it suited them. Also the track "Charlie Don't Surf" for a split second makes me question why I've bought the album, only because of how sheerly awful it is, it fits absolutely nothing with the rest of the album, or for that matter with FFAF's sound at all, the same goes for the finale "Constant Resurrections" a very boring and unatmospheric song, but don't let that put you off, everything has a downside. take these 2 out of the situation and the album is brilliant. buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funeral back to their best!!, 15 Oct 2008
After their last album, Tales Dont Tell Themselves, Funeral needed to return stronger and harder. And im glad to say that they have created an album that is back to their edgey and powerful best. Waterfront danceclub was the perfect way to start, powerful and fast paced. Its back to the days of Roses for the Dead. I have yet to find a bad track on this album. As soon as i heard the first few tracks, i had a smile on my face. As this was just what we all needed. I cannot recommend this album enough and am now definately going to the tour. BUY IT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid 4th Album, 1 Nov 2008
This review is from: Memory & Humanity (Audio CD)
I've followed FFAF since I picked up Casually Dressed in my local music shop several years ago having never heard any of their material before. I wasn't disappointed. Like the other reviewer I have always felt their strength has been in crafting big strong melodic rock songs peppered with some excellent 'metal' musicianship. Memory and Humanity doesn't deviate from this foundation and provides another quality, highly listenable album.

The absence of the screamed vocals, (being only present on a few tracks) will probaby deter the Casually Dressed fundamentalists, but to be honest I prefer the more natural vocals it works better with the style of music. Screaming is all well and good in the context of angry political rantings and hardcore death metal, but for me it sounds a bit 'forced' and out of context here.

I was not even aware of this album until i went to their excellent live show. The new material sounded just as good as anything else they played and like many of the crowd I was surprised when they pointed out that they had just released a new album, under their own record label, (hence the lack of expensive marketing). I've listened to the album several times now and there are some excellent tracks encorporating all the classic elements of their sound. It's not a huge departure from Hours, Tales or CD for that matter (bar the sreams), if anything it blends elements of all 3 previous offerings. The result being a good solid 4th album that shouldn't disappoint existing fans and also provide a good starting point for newcomers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Wales, 14 Oct 2008
Mr. A. G. Sambrook (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory & Humanity (Audio CD)
Just to clarify I think FFAF are one of the most talented Metal bands around. I chipped in with my two cents on 'Tales' and I thought that album was a stunning concept album, full of huge riffs and a tightly driven storyline (similair to Mastodon's Leviathon album about Moby Dick).
This is more of a return to Causally Dressed and Hours territory but only with a bit of screaming I'm afraid. So if that's all your here for then I'm afraid you're out of luck. I hear the new Bring Me The Horizon album has lots of screaming in so go buy that.

If you liked the FFAF sound anyway (with or without screaming) then this album should be an essential buy!
'Rules and Games' kicks the album off in style (I love that riff and drum beat) when I first got the album I kept sliding this song back to the start as I couldn't stop listening to it, it slides nicely in to 'Mouchette' which is a bit smoother and more of a downbeat track with a gravel riff.
'Kicking and Screaming' is as they describe a pop-rock song turned to eleven (and is one of my favourite tracks off the album). 'Constant Illuminations' is one of the hard songs on the album and the closest to Casually as you can get. 'Maybe I am' is similair to 'Mouchette' in terms of its downbeat feel and is a nice song. For some reason it reminds of Jimmyeatworld.
'Wolves' has an amazing driving guitar and is a stand out song. That guitar noise is awesome! And the climax of the song is outstanding.
'Building' is a nice ballad, and FFAF seem to always do them really well so this is no exception.'Burning Tree' is one of the other of my favourites from the album and I love how the riff moves the song in to a fantastic chorus and finale. Genius.
'Someday the fire...' is another great rock song all the way to eleven. A more sedate beat but a fantastically produced rock song with a tubthumping chorus.
'Waterfront' is almost a kick back to Seven Ways with its intro but the latter half is more Hours, and it's a great song. 'Charlie don't surf' is the second ballad of the album and has a nice drive to it.
'Ghosts' and 'Constant Resurrections' both bring the album to a downbeat finish, Ghosts is a little more frenetic but Constant is an album ender with a piano and guitar breaking way for a band that plays to silence.

FFAF confessed that this album was more of a return to the themes of Casually but the sound had moved on. And it's true, it's progressed and you can still tell it's the same band making the music it's just their ability to write really tight songs has increased ten fold.
To be honest I've been dying to hear this album and it didn't disappoint me in any way at all. It rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funeral for a friend - Memory& Humanity, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Memory & Humanity (Audio CD)
I enjoyed it very much. Funeral for a friend are a great band. I would recommend this to anyone who likes this type of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 16 Oct 2008
Mr. M. AYRES "mayres1975" (England) - See all my reviews
Excellent, just got it today and have listened to it 5 times already, this is fantastic. Lyrics are great and they are kind of in between the styles of Hours and Tales Don't Tell Themselves. Ghosts has been the most addictive song so far, but after only one day I'm sure that will change, but that's the fun of having such a great album, you just keep listening. Top marks, and welcome back FFAF

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing iv heard since Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation, 7 Oct 2009
Patrick Speirs "pat" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory & Humanity (Audio CD)
my honest opinion is that funeral for a friend have been gettin more and more main stream since the release of their most famous album (in my opinion) casually dressed and deep in conversation. wen i first heard that album i couldnt believe that there was an album with such incredible songs and flawless melodic riffs with bone crushing screaming over the top. it all came together so well......and now they have done it once agian!
anyone who has loved FFAF since the begining will listen to this album and fall in love with their sound all over again. i wasnt sure if it was going to be very good but wen i first put it on and listen to track one...i knew it was gunna be a blinding album and it didnt disapoint me.
THEE best thing since casually dressed! get this album now! do not delay! buy it buy it buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as anthemic as "Tales"..., 14 Oct 2008
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Memory & Humanity (Audio CD)
This is FFAFs fourth album, and is very much a continuation of the style of "Tales Don't Tell Themselves". Fans of the band's earlier work are going to be as disappointed with this as they were with "Tales" - the screamed vocals from the first two albums are again conspicuous by their absence, in favour of a more mainstream rock sound. That said, taken in isolation, this is another cracking album. It's perhaps a bit of a step back from the stadium anthems of "Tales", and is a bit less immediately catchy as a result, but the songs are strong and FFAF's ear for a good melody hasn't deserted them.

When I heard "Tales" for the first time, I immediately declared it the best album of 2007 - I'm not quite as positive about this one, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't make my top 5 for 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars FFAF <3, 19 May 2010
H. Mansell (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory & Humanity (Audio CD)
Being a massive FFAF fan already as soon as i had heard of the release date for this album i preordered it and was not disappointed. The style is of course the FFAF style that so many of us have come to love. As with many of FFAF's albums you have songs which have a high tempo, catchy lyrics and thanfully they have reverted to their earlier stuff with the 'Screamed' bits.

I had great fun looking at the lyrics to each of the songs and finding out their deeper meaning, which pretty much underlines the kind of band that FFAF are. I look forward to any new releases FFAF = The best!

Memory and Humanity [VINYL]
Memory and Humanity [VINYL] by Funeral for a Friend (Vinyl - 2008)
Click for more info