5.0 out of 5 stars Dan the Automator does it again!!!!!
Published on 26 Mar 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag From 2D And Co.
Time for another music review I think. This time I've chosen Gorillaz' self-titled debut album. That's Gorillaz by Gorillaz in case you didn't catch my drift. Anyway the album was released in 2001 and consists of seventeen tracks.

The two standout tracks, without question, are Clint Eastwood and 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix). Clint Eastwood is a great mellow but...
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by Matthew Stoneman

5.0 out of 5 stars Dan the Automator does it again!!!!!, 26 Mar 2001
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
Well after a mate was raving on about how good the likes of kid koala (from the ninjatune record label - along with the likes of Herbaliser et al) and Del the Funky Homosapien were I went out and bought the album Deltron 3030 and found the slick lyrics and mellow beatz were fantastic! So I was really exited when I heard that Gorillaz were essentially Deltron 3030 with Damon Albarn added for effect. I have to say that I was not dissapointed. The mix of hip hop and mellow indie will stun you...it it of a genre I have never seen before! The songs they have released so far - Clint Eastwood and Tomorrow comes Today are probably the best songs but the others are excellent too! My advise - Go get it NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars highly original, 1 Feb 2004
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
Well what can I say, in my eyes Gorillaz have come up with something a bit special. I first bought this album a few years ago. I listened to 'clint eastwood' a few times and then shoved it on the shelf. Only yesterday did I actually give it a proper listening to. To my surprise it was an amzing album. It is one of the weirdest, most experimental and original albums I think I have ever opened my ears to. I was absulutely blown away by the tracks such as '5/4' and 'double base'. It was such a radical change to the usual tones and rhythm I am acustomed to. The compilation of sounds, beats, rhymes and rhythms gives it an ultimatly unique style of listening. Its genre is so bloody hard to define, some hip-hop (ranging from jazz hip-hop such as 'rock the house' to zombie hip-hop like 'clint eastwood'), some rock, some easily listening, but above all just some totally diferent styles.
However I would say that it takes some getting used too. Perhaps some tracks are a bit too experimental, 'starshine' and 'M1 A1' spring to mind. But no matter what your music preference this is an essential album. Gorillaz have definitely given a whole revolutionary and experimental view of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST cd of the century, 21 Nov 2001
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
There is nothing better then a good cd with an excellent colaboration of different types of music. Enter Gorillaz. These guys know what they're doing. There's rap, R&B, Rock, Pop, and a little Miscellaneous on this cd. It's perfect. I guarantee you, if you like music you'll love this cd. It's so good I have 3 copies! One for the car, one for the house, and one for the pc! (It's interactive) :)

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 7 Feb 2002
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
gorillaz aren't the type of thing i'd usually listen to.
but they're great.
like pretty much everyone else, i bought this album after hearing clint eastwood and really liking it. clint eastwood is one of the most rappy tracks on this album, and they take it through a range of styles. my favourite songs are the last three tracks, one of which is kind of dub/reggae type thing, one is a pop song with cool wind effects and the last one M1A1 being gorillaz twisted idea of a rock anthem.
there's many other suprises along the way, none of the songs sound similar at all. but to find fault, a few of the tracks ('punk', 'latin simone' and one or two others) seem a bit throwaway. i was particularly dissapointed by the inclusion of an instrumental version of 'Latin Simone', having heard the full vocal version previously and thinking that was great. but you can't have everything can you?
basically, a mixture of moods, styles, rhythms..while it doesn't strike me as being a total classic, the best bits of this album are absolutely awesome.
oh and in reference to the previous review - i am a heavy rock/metal fan. again proof to how widespread gorillaz appeal is.

5.0 out of 5 stars GORILLAZ RULE!!!!!!, 11 Nov 2003
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
Well to be honest when a mate leant me the album I thought I wouldnt have like it but how wrong was I!!!
There some absolutely top tunes on here but of course there are always the exceptions ( New Genious, 5/4 and sound check being the exceptions but the rest of the album is classic)
Man Research, Latin Simeone and rock the house are just tracks that have to be heard over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars a smooth ride from edgy punk to soulful harmonies...a joy., 31 May 2001
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
This is an album filled with little hooks and lines that will have you humming and drumming along.The mark of this albums infectiousness lies in it's ability to make the listener absent mindedly noodle and hum the tunes in any place and at any time. If music is about whistling in the dark, then look no further than Gorillaz.Slow and haunting songs like 'M1 A1' and '19-2000' melt effortlessly into noisier tracks like 'Punk' and '5/4'. The aren't many stand out tracks because the whole gels so well, yet on their own each track is a potential single - apart from 'soundcheck (gravity)'which features a somewhat grating soprano lyric from 2-d.The easiness of the rhythms and the fluid feel of the album as a whole make it perfect listening for lazy evenings and bathtimes, but also good for getting ready to go out... turn it up and enjoy.oh yeah...if you let the cd run, beware of the hidden track...it will make you jump.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original & Best, 1 April 2006
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
This is deffinitely the best album from Gorillaz. Blur frontman Damon Albarn initially created the ficticious band to emphasise the amount of manufactured bands and the lack of actual talent in todays 'pop scene'. And you really cant get more manufactured than cartoon characters as an actual band. Albarns' plan may have technically back-fired on him as the Gorillaz became an instant hit. Taking a mix of punk, R n B, and slow rock to create classics such as clint eastwood, 19-2000, and rock the house. Even a collection of Gorillaz b-sides, formed a quite good album with "G-Sides". This is probably the most original/ diverse kind of music you are likeley to hear today. Boy/ girl bands, commercial hip-hop 'stars' and general pop artists should feel pretty bad that they are being out-done by a ficticious band led by mainly 2 people. (Albarn and cult cartoonist Jamie Hewlett) And they have the numerous awards to prove it. Whilst Demon Days is good and still maintains its originality, the self titled debut album will always be a firm favourite for those of us who like something else asside from the drone of girls aloud, the campness of every boy band around, and the vanity of those commercial hip-hop stars. (50 cent actually admitted that the first 3 of his 5 favourite songs of all time were 3 of his own songs) Thats hip-hop modesty at its finest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 23 Jun 2005
Seb (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
This album is the one that made the Gorillaz huge, almost every song has catchy lyrics bass, drums and everything else. Escpecially my favourites- Rock the house, Clint eastwood, tommorow comes today and 19-2000. A brilliant mix of rap, hip hop, rock, indie and more. Anyone who even likes music remotely should buy this album and will be sure to enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a fresh new sound indie meets hip hop in a transy kinda way, 6 July 2001
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
Very interesting c.d. I spent alot of time just trying to find a label to fit the music...eventually I gave up and just sat back and listened. If you liked Clint Eastwood , their debut track from the album you will like the rest of the cd. but don't expect to find the same sound repeated over and over again. This is definatley one of the most interesting album's i have listened to since Radiohead released O.K. Computer.....I would recommened it to anyone who doesn't like fluffy music!!! ( By the way check out the re-mix of Clint Eastwood at the end of the disc....you probably already heard this on the radio by now , but just incase its worth a listen too. Unlike most remix's I've heard I actually like it better than the orginial track - and i bought the c.d on the strenght of the original , so I guess thats saying something!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great original album, 26 April 2001
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
The more I listen to this, the more I love it. I cannot really compare it to anything else I've heard because I haven't heard like it. It's original and hugely varied with some amazing tunes. I'm not sure everybody who buys it will like it, but to me this is my best musical buy this year

Gorillaz [Explicit]