5.0 out of 5 stars Introduce Yourself to the Band of Genius
I was introduced to Radiohead through their album "The Bends" which I initially thought was a load of noise interspersed with a male vocal that I found myself unable to switch off from. I was not even a rock fan at the time - a load of noise, lots of shouting, so what on earth was all the fuss about?
I then bought a second-hand copy of Pablo Honey -...
Published on 29 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A sign of things to come?
If you love Radiohead like me, and respect them as one of the greatest musical acts of the 1990s, then I think it is essential that you own this, Radiohead's debut album.
Published on 1 Jan 2006 by Djimi Showbiz

5.0 out of 5 stars Introduce Yourself to the Band of Genius, 29 Dec 1999
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
I then bought a second-hand copy of Pablo Honey - unable to justify spending the full album price on something I was so unsure of. Well, all I can say is, who on earth was stupid enough to let this album go out of their collection? From the first time I listened to the opening track "You" I was hooked. Thom's voice is magnificent and this album has to be owned by anyone who has a collection that includes Radiohead. It's wrong and a sin to own their other work without adding Pablo Honey. The track "Vegetable" sums up my feelings every day. "Leave me alone world" at least Thom of Radiohead understands the pressures I'm under. Thank God someone takes the time to think about life and put their thoughts into a format to which people can relate. I subsequently own all the Radiohead albums and will own the 2000 album on the day it is released.
I was fortunate to see them play live in a relatively small venue just before OK Computer became cult listening. They were absolutely superb. I adore Radiohead, their limited edition stuff, all their b tracks and every word they care to utter. Buy Pablo Honey - but please don't stop there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sometimes forgotten but outstanding 1st Radiohead album, 11 Aug 2001
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
surprisingly, I never even knew this album existed until I was shown it by one of my Radiohead-obsessed friends. But now, I have truly grown to love this,and has become my favourite radiohead album.Classics such as 'Creep' and 'Ripcord' are teamed with equally great and inspiring songs like 'Vegetable' and 'Anyone can play guitar'. This is a slightly more rocky album than 'The Bends', but with the same ingeniuity we have come to know from this band. An album most certainly not to be missed. Go and buy it! Now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Start of a legend!!, 4 Mar 2003
the1thatsreallydangerous (Malton, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
There is no greater band than radiohead, they are the most brilliant british band since Led Zeppelin and their music is emotional, powerful, and often breath aking and this is where it all began. Pablo Honey sold well on the back of hits single 'Creep' which broke them in the USA also. Personally 'Creep' is a fine song but is overated compared to the genius that they would come up with later. Pablo Honey itself has contains better songs than 'Creep'. 'Anyone Can Play Guitar' and 'Stop Whispering' which were both singles are a much more challenging and enjoyable listen.
Compared to the might of 'The Bends' and the astounding 'OK Computer' this album sounds primative and dated but its a nice album overall, and enjoyable laidback listen and a must for all radiohead fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Radioheads Debut need i say more, 12 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Pablo Honey [12" VINYL] (Vinyl)
the first album from one of the uks biggest bands. Fueled by the success of the third track Creep Pablo Honey sold really well.
Relative to the other Radiohead albums this is a weak album, but there are actually some quite strong songs on the album. My favourites are Stop Whispering and Thinking about you, which are much similar in style to Radioheads latter albums, The Bends, and Ok Computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound of latent genius, 4 July 2000
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
This album often gets written off as Radiohead's grunge effort, though this has more to do with the production than the actual music - the mix is generally very muddy and there is little space for Radiohead's trademark intricacies. Put that down to the record label's view at the time as Radiohead as the British Nirvana rather than the next Pink Floyd they've since become. Similarly some of the songs are more along traditional "route one" guitar rock patterns than their later material, which had the benefit of experience and confidence. However, anyone familiar with Bends and OK-C will recognise the Radiohead philosophy in tracks like "Blow Out" and "lurgee".
On the whole though this is merely a very good rock album (and Thom Yorke hates the cover photo). Cultural leadership would come later.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice debut, 12 Aug 2002
Mr. Kirk J. Wagstaff "kirkwuk" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
Radiohead's debut is sub-par in comparison with their other works. But then again Pablo Honey would have to be a mountain to level up to masterpieces such as The Bends, and Ok Computer.
Pablo Honey is always down, despite cheery introductions from from tracks I Can't, Prove Yourself, Lurgee, Blow Out etc... This album with help from Creep also gave Radiohead the "depressing" label which ignorants use who fail to listen to the true noise of this wonderful band.
For any Radiohead fan, I don't need to tell you to go buy this as you'll already have it. As for any new fan I would suggest OK Computer as a good introduction, and then work backwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 21 Dec 2005
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
While Radiohead have produced better albums- including The Bends and OK Computer, this album shows the band in their early stages. Songs such as 'stop wispering', 'Lurgee', 'Vegetable and stop whispering' demonstrate great lyrical guitar sounds with their 3 guitarist attack.
The bands signature song 'creep' was first released on this album and is what helped them to be famous in the USA. However, the song was infact dispised by the main guitarist which is why the band never play it at recent events... think how many times the guitarist must have played the violent bridge part of this song in tour!
I recommend buying this album anyway as it is one of Radioheads simplier albums featuring a great collection of upbeat intense songs before they became abstract.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where it all started..., 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
For anyone who's first taste of Radiohead has been via OK Computer, Kid A and the like, they could be forgiven for thinking the debut album Pablo Honey is a rather turgid affair, and indeed some fans would rather this one be brushed under the carpet and never spoken of again.

However, having been there from the start, I can appreciate it for what was, and is. It holds many a fond memory for me, my life during the superb early to mid 90s of British music, and played all these years later it is still a cracking good album. Creep obviously, is the one song everyone agrees is the best of the bunch, but there is so much more to it than that. Ripcord, Thinking about You, Lurgee, Stop Whispering - they're all great.

Staring up at the shelves in my local Our Price store in 1993 (yikes, where have those 20 years gone!) I bought three CDs that day. Everybody else is doing it... by The Cranberries, Duran Duran's Wedding album, and Pablo Honey. All decent in their own right, but it is Pablo Honey that has been with me through thick and thin, and the one which started my life-long love of their music.

It is very different to the Radiohead of today, but is it any worse? I'd say not - it's still Radiohead at the end of the day. If you're a fan of Radiohead but have been put off buying this due to the poor reviews, you are missing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, 22 Nov 2003
Gregeff13 (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
This Album is absolutely Awesome. Quite possibly the best collection of music radiohead have ever put together. In my view even greater than the mighty OK Computer and The Bends. This album has much more emphasis on Guitar and Vocals than their more recent albums. This is my favourite album of all time.

3.0 out of 5 stars A sign of things to come?, 1 Jan 2006
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
There is a general perception that this album is inferior to Radiohead's later work; while this is true, I would add that if you cast from your mind all thoughts of the band's later zenith of musical brilliance, this album on its own is very enjoyable to listen to; a fine advertisement for the musical fashions of the early 1990s, when the world was anxiously searching for an alternative to the prevalent trend of grunge.
Pablo Honey marks the first significant chapter in the musical evolution of Radiohead (serving as a time capsule for a band famed only for producing the hit song 'Creep'), signposting an outfit with immense potential who at the time were struggling to break through the first of many creative glass ceilings they would later effortlessly smash through.
The band dynamic, centred round the much-labelled 'tortured genius' of Thom Yorke, is firmly established with this record; Johnny Greenwood's caustic and inspirational lead guitar work is complemented by the assured bass playing of his brother Colin and the dextrous melodic counterpoints of guitarist Ed O'Brien, while Phil Selway's passionate drumming propels the whole shebang with consummate ease.
Any criticism of Pablo Honey should be counterbalanced with the argument that the beginning of a great journey is never the most memorable part.
Bearing in mind the exceptional overall quality of their musical output down the years, I think Radiohead deserve to be cut some slack for the comparative weakness of this record.

Pablo Honey [Explicit]