5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter Gordons tone and 'behind the beat' timing is unique!, 9 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Go! (Audio CD)
This is Dexter Gordon at his finest. As one of the most prolific sax players off his time, this album is a showcase for his talent to play and embellish on the most simple melodic lines. As a sax player myself, the album influenced me massively, his tone and 'behind the beat' timing is unique. This version of 'Cheesecake' is perhaps his best recording, with his repetition and variation you can't help but get taken into his own world of sound. This is the first album of his that I bought and I have subsequently nearly completed my collection of Dexter Gordon - I need not say more, except buy it and you will understand what I felt when first hearing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Dexter's best, 25 Jun 2004
Ian Thumwood "ian17577" (Winchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Go! (Audio CD)
This is a cracking album and I totally agree with the other reviewer as this is a disc that is frequently in my CD player.
Although my preference would be for the other Blue Note recorded in Paris with Kenny Clarke and Bud Powell, this is a hugely enjoyable set, Dexter playing with his customary wry sense of humour and backed by a hard-hitting rythmn section. Like many other discs of the era on the Blue Note label, the recording quality is good and the standard of material is very high. No duff tracks on this one.
Dexter's style of playing with his huge, impressive tone was unique - owing something to the more Romantic players of the generation of Coleman Hawkins but taking on the harmonies and rythmns of Be-bop. This is a good introduction to one of the kings of the tenor including barn-storming swingers, a latin treatment of "Love for sale" and a couple of exceptionally well crafted ballads. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars First dip into the Jazz pool..., 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Go! (Audio CD)
I am not a life-long Jazz fan. Lately, though, I have ventured into this rather sectretive world of improvisation and personal expression and have been quite surprised at what I have found. I have been buying the Rudy Van Gelder editions of certain releases (for no particular reason other than the fact that the first one I bought was marvelous) and am starting to appreciate the appeal of Jazz. Dexter Gordon's "GO" is a wonderful album. I bought it because I appreciate Sax more than trumpet. This is, from a novices point of view, an album that can be played at any time, but in particular when you are trying to charm your better half. Joking aside, I have taken to listening to these RVG recordings even when I am working, and Dexter's "GO" is my favourite. Soulful, humourous, supplemented by gorgeous piano and percussion, I cannot recommend this cd highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Go! (Audio CD)
jazz freaks, this is a must for your collection . every home should have this cd.. i have it on vynal too cant beat a back up..

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter Gordon's favourite album from 1962., 19 Jan 2013
Jazzrook (Purbrook , Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Go! (Audio CD)
This excellent quartet album finds tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon(1923-1990) in majesterial form with a superb rhythm section including pianist Sonny Clark, bassist Butch Warren and drummer Billy Higgins.
Recorded in New Jersey on August 27, 1962 the six memorable tracks display Gordon's big-toned cavernous sound and include his original 'Cheese Cake' plus five standards with impressive versions of 'Second Balcony Jump', 'Three O'Clock In The Morning' and the ballads 'I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry' & 'Where Are You'.
'Go!' is said to have been "Dexter Gordon's favourite Dexter Gordon album" and this BLUE NOTE RVG Edition(1999) deserves a place in any serious modern jazz collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars his best album, 22 Dec 2008
Mr. A. W. Powsey "red squirrell" (reading, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go! (Audio CD)
I discovered Dexter when I was still at school in the early sixties. In a short period of time he made his best albums. These are: Doin alright, Dexter Calling, Go, and another whose name escapes me. By a short head "Go" is the best of these. If you are a jazz fan and havnt got it your collection you should buy it immediately!

ARRAY(0xaa0071b0)