5.0 out of 5 stars The essential British chart hits
Published on 15 Oct 2003 by Peter Durward Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars poor quality
Really disappointed with quality. Music was great but couldn't hear a lot of the vocals. Very faint in the background
Published 11 months ago by C.A.NORMAN

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential British chart hits, 15 Oct 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
The Hollies had more than twenty hits in their UK homeland, but the big ones can all be found here including all those that reached the top ten. The proof of their continuing popularity in Britain is that many of these songs turn up regularly on various artists compilation albums. The most popular is He ain't heavy he's my brother, which is not a surprise as it was a top three hit in the sixties and a number one hit in the eighties following its use in a TV commercial. The air that I breathe, Carrie Anne, Bus stop, I'm alive and Just one look seem to be the most popular of the others. Less common are Jennifer Eccles, Sorry Suzanne, On a Carousel, Stop stop stop and Look through any window, but these were all huge UK hits for the Hollies.
If you just want a single Hollies CD containing all the essentials from the sixties and seventies, this will satisfy your needs. If you are looking for other excellent but less successful (in the UK) songs like If I needed someone and King Midas in reverse, or you want songs that were successful in other countries but not the UK, you can find them on more comprehensive collections, particularly the Greatest hits double CD released in 2003, which contains all these songs and which I've already reviewed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Manchester's finest (really!), 8 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
If you are wondering what else was around in the sixties beat group wise,(apart from THOSE bands) look no further. This collection proves why The Hollies had so many hits in that era (and onwards for that matter). What makes this a special collection? Amazing harmony vocals, great instrumentation and classic songs.
A must-buy in my view!

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of the fabric of 1960's pop culture !, 4 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
The Hollies, for me, were a part of my background growing up in England during the '60s and early 70's. The tracks on this compilation sum-up adolescence as we knew it in those days - meeting your 'bird' by accident (Bus Stop, Just One Look) promising to be faithful (Yes I Will/ The Air That I Breathe) and infatuation (Jennifer Eccles). Mixed in with this is the superb "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress" and the unforgetable "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother". It could be that this CD will bring back a whole bunch of poignant memories and I for one am glad to own this "time machine", which is a "must" for any collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollies 20 Golden Greats., 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
There isn't too much to say about this iconic music,.. each and every track is unique and dare I say timeless,.. the re-master for digital is ok and I'm rather glad they didn't "clean it up" too much that would have taken away the 60s/70s spit and sawdust, they have taken away just enough of the scratches and warts to make it listenable and its surprising just how much production went into each track,...we never really listened to the songs back then,...I was there I know,...the songs had a hook and we liked them and that was enough but now with the benefit of age I can now sit back and listen to the CD or the MP 3 with a decent set of "cans" and truely appreciate the effort and skill that went into the arrangement and the production of each and every track on this CD. I bought the Vinyl LP (Long Player for those who dont know) 30years ago sadly it is no more,..... but the quality of the CD makes it better.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OF THE HOLLIES, 11 Sep 2010
C. Manning "mud man" (devon,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
Well what can you say about a legendry group that are still touring ,there,s not many groups nowadays that last or will last as long as these have,i first had this music on vinyl and when i saw it in CD format i had to have it as i obviously new the tracks and it is one of there better collections of music,a good sing along type CD 20 Golden Greats: 20 Great Sounds That Grew Out of the North

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollies, 14 Jun 2010
Mrs. D. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
Brilliant, if you liked the Hollies back in the 60's/70's then you will love this album, I usually play it in the car as i am driving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollies, 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
Very much what the title says. 20 golden greats and all the most well known of their hits. Brilliant album for Hollies fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars True Timeless classics, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
My mum had the LP of this album when I was young and me and my sister used to listen to it. Having it now on CD means I can listen with nostalgia to these wonderful songs the highlights being "All the air that I breathe", "He ain't heavy he's my brother" and "Gasoline Alley Bred".

4.0 out of 5 stars When melody was bigger than image, 9 Jun 2011
Hank (Hemel Hempstead UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (MP3 Download)
Today in pop image seems to be more important than the music but this collection proves that melody outlasts image. A fine collection that I know I will come back to many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic collection from a classic British band..., 8 Jun 2010
A. Costigan "Popeye" (Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
Slip in this CD, whether in the car or at home and if you're over 40 years of age, wallow in some great lyrics and music to your heart's content.

20 Golden Greats