on 16 October 2010
I moved to the UK 4 years ago to study a PhD and nothing prepared me to what it seemed to be never ending grey days during fall and winter. But somehow I survived, until I moved to a new flat where my room and the kitchen didn't receive much sunlight. That was when I decided to get this lamp.

For me the main problem was during the morning, since it was really depressing to wake up in such conditions. This lamp has made a huge improvement during those dark weeks. I use it for around 30 min while I'm having my breakfast and getting ready to start my day. I noticed an improvement after only 4 days of using it. I felt with much more energy and optimistic every time I use it. Since it is really bright I usually use it on the side rather than in fron of me. And I usually don't use it more than 30 min since I got headache once after using it for a long time.

This lamp is not the sun, but it's a good substitute, especially for somebody that was used to have the sun all year-long. The only negative part about this lamp is the price, but if you suffer from winter blues you should definately invest in one of these. One more thing, the best is to use it everyday when the days are grey, since the effect is better than when I use it only some days. Finally, it works better for me in the morning, since it gives me lots of energy.
55 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2010
I cannot recommend this product highly enough.
Firstly, the practical aspects. The light is really bright but I find it diffuse enough to use at close quarters. It can also be used in the corner of the room too if you want to leave it on for an extended period of time and pretend it's a sunny day. It doesn't flicker (not that I can detect anyway) is light in weight, silent and can be used standing vertically or lying on its side. You can't change the intensity, it's either on or off, but sitting the lamp further away works for me.
Secondly, the effects. At first I used the lamp at close quarters while I worked at my desk then placed it beside my bed so I could turn it on as soon as I woke up in the morning. Within the first three days I started to feel a growing difference in my mood and energy levels.
I have had my Lumie Brightspark for about three weeks now and I feel markedly better than I had been feeling previously. My usual mood and character for winter is down, blue, grumpy, short-tempered and even a bit paranoid. I now feel much more relaxed, energised, cheerful and positive.
I'm still be grumpy but I'm grumpy all year round. :)
Anyway, bottom line is if you suffer from SAD in winter I would recommend getting one of these.
on 20 October 2012
This is the main light weapon in my war against SAD and depression esp during winter and is now part of my daily regime. After waking in the morning and feeding the cat & taking my meds i sit in front of this angel like light for 30 mins with my breakfast and it charges me up to face the day . Its impact has been v rapid with a noticeable difference after first week - so much so that i actually was looking forward to getting to work on a Monday morning after a miserable dark weekend.

As the evenings are drawing in ( esp if i have a long day on road) again i sit in front of this for another 30 mins in evening. Noticeable differences have been noted by friends in that i seem happier and i feel a lot more productive both in house and at work.

If you have depression and SAD this is not a sole solution but i do believe that its a valuable part of my proactive stance in controlling and managing my depression.

Although these lights are not cheap ( I also have portable SAD device, home office SAD desk lamp & daylight sunrise clock ) i see this as an investment in maintaining a life balance that i can control and also in keeping my job ( in past two and half years i have had over 6 months off work with depression and anxiety ) . Obviously its not going to stop you having some days when depression gets upper hand ....but i would rather it be the occassional day rather than weeks and months. Making these lights part of my regime each day are definitely paying dividends.
on 25 September 2011
Days away from being sacked for showing up at work way too late, a manager from S.Africa informs me about SAD, she then very kindly commands me to use this very same light box for an hour a day while at my desk once she's had her morning dose. Within the week I had purchased two. One for home and one for the office. 4 years on it's been part of my winter routine.

Only negative I'd say is the plastic light defuser which covers the light tubes. It's cracked a little when in transport, best to repack it in the box provided when transporting.

With the vast improvements in LED technology if I had to replace this item, I'd be tempted to try some of the newer less energy hungry light boxes now on the market. But until then, this is working just fine.

The one at home I have set on a timer, to come on by my bed side 30min before my alarm clock goes off. helps tremendously in the mornings.

I avoid using it in the afternoons as it doesn't help me with getting to bed. Mornings to mid day a 30 min dosage does me fine.
on 25 January 2011
Would just like to say, "Bought this product for my mother who, we believe suffers with SAD. It has made a remarkable impact on her mood! Would recommend it to anyone who thinks they are suffering with SAD, she uses it whilst reading/watching TV for about 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours in a morning."
on 10 February 2010
Lumie Brightspark - light therapy for treating SAD Delivered within 4 days. All in working order. Just take out from the box and plug it in, locate about 20 inches away from where you are to sit; relax and watch the television or read a book. Do that every night for about 60 mins - result a steady but gradual improvement in mood/feelings over the course of a month. It works.
on 11 December 2010
After doing some review work, this box seemde to jump out. Really good light. No flicker at all. And much happiness generated via it. Totally brilliant in every way.
on 17 February 2010
Hi - I have been using this light for about 6 months now having been increasingly tired for 5 years - it took longer than expected, but after 2-3 hours per day for 3 months my energy started to return - I had been so bad I could sleep from 8PM to 8AM + still not want to get up, which is not like me. I would also fall asleep at the drop of a hat.
I had to give up msot of my interests just to have enough energy to work + was seriously considering going part time because of this tiredness - now I can get up in the morning + have energy to do chores, go visiting, hobbies - I reall have a new lease of life....

I had eventually been diagnosed as possible Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - mainly because when asked I realised I woke about 10 times every night, dreamed all night long + really felt the cold.

I truly believe that this light has cured me - I will keep using it.
on 14 December 2012
I have already recommended this product to my colleagues who have asked after it. The lightbox arrived on time and was well packaged. The electrical cord is a generous length, which helps in deciding where to keep it. I tend to keep it on the floor by my desk when I'm working.
I read the reviews of this and decided so many other people couldn't be wrong and they haven't been. So thank you to them.
I love it though, not just because it appears to help with my mood on these very dark wintry days, but also because I accidentally broke it and on contacting the company, they offered without hesitation to fix it for me, free of charge. I only had to return it to them. Excellent customer service!
I am very pleased I bought it.
on 6 March 2011
I bought this light box as a reflex action on the first really dull Autumn day of the year. I felt the dark closing in and got onto Amazon as I'd heard very positive things about light boxes from peers and on the internet. 2 days later it arrived, I fired it up and felt the relief instantly. Light therapy is very effective for me and this is a sturdy yet stylish and elegant light box that sits nicely on an office desk. I recommend this product and note that the price you pay above a standard light box can be found in the quality and style of the product.