4.0 out of 5 stars Works well
This video sender works in my house transmitting from the Sky box in the front downstairs room to the first-floor rear bedroom extension. I'm impressed!
Published on 22 Jun 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Usable but not perfect
Published on 21 Nov 2009 by Elsie McMath

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 22 Jun 2009
This review is from: Emprex AWV-698B 5.8Ghz Wireless Video sender - Watch TV around the House (Accessory)
The picture quality is good and interference is rare (I normally use channel 2 or 3 of the 8 available as occasionally channel 1 has interference, the others don't). The sound quality is also good enough to put through my studio speakers when I put a music channel on.
I have a cordless phone base unit in the same room as the sender and I use a handset in the same room as the video receiver unit and there is no interference for either unit when in use.
I have two wireless routers in the house, neither is affected by the video sender when I'm using my computer wirelessly, neither is the tv picture / sound.
When I set the video sender up, I was surprised to see in the manual that the correct direction for the antennae to face is with the bevelled side pointing towards the receiver and vice-versa. Somehow it seemed more logical to me for the flat side to be the correct direction!
As the other reviewers have noted you will probably need some from of scart splitter. Both the switched and non-switched versions didn't suit my requirements as I wanted to simply be able to send the Sky box output to the video sender whilst still being able to watch the Sky box on the main tv downstairs. I found a thru-scart adapter that also splits the audio and composite video connecters that then directly connects to the phono connections of the video sender. Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 19 Mar 2009
Was previously using a 2.4ghz Digisender. Despite changing the broadcast channels on my own router to get rid of any interference as more and more wirless networks pop up around the neighbourhood my TV in my loft conversion was becoming unwatchable.

Ordered this item as the frequency is out of the range of wireless networks and it works a treat. Was set up in 5 minutes and the picture quality and sound frankly is superb. It is broadcasting through 2 floors and through 2 rather thick walls and it's like watching TV on the main set.

Nothing seems to interfere with it, not wireless internet, microwaves or anything. well worth the money. Remote extender works fine as well.

I am trying to find additional recievers though, for other tvs though. If anyone can help me there I'd be eternally grateful :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit., 11 July 2009
Mr. Graham Heywood (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have previously tried using a 2.4GHz transmitter and it just didn't work (very fuzzy picture and sound). I wanted to have Sky in the bedroom, but without going for the Anyroom package.

This Emprex 5.8GHz version works extremely well. Picture and sound quality are excellent - even with the signal going through a floor and several walls. Some very slight distortion on the Sky menus, or when someone walks directly in front of the receiver unit, but its really nothing. We also have wireless broadband and there has been no interference. I use it with Sky HD and the remote control also works with no problems.

Only thing to watch out for is that the two Scart connectors are different - one for IN and one for OUT. Plus, I highly recommend getting an extra Sky remote control!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than 2.4 GHz box, 5 Aug 2009
C. ROBERTS - See all my reviews
We've had this device for a month or two now, providing signal from a Sky receiver in the living room to a 19" screen that we have in the kitchen. Though not perfect, we have found this provides satisfactory picture and sound - and suffers less from interference from the microwave and other kitchen devices than a 2.4GHz device that we had previously.

The device will take up a Scart socket (or red,white,yellow phono sockets) so if you don't have a spare you'll need a splitter

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing fancy but good picture and sound, works well with Virgin V+, 18 Oct 2009
I. Sassoon "I.S." (UK) - See all my reviews
The short version - I found this sender a good and cheap alternative to getting another Virgin V+ cable box in the bedroom (which would carry a monthly charge). I needed to play a bit with the positioning of the sender/receiver but once in place we have a good reliable picture

A slightly more detailed version:
I had a 2.4GHz unit in the past and it did not work well in my Victorian house. Picture quality was poor and lots of interference from WiFi.
After reading mixed reviews on this unit (apparently works well for many but also quite poorly for others) I decided to give it a shot.

The units are quite light and feel cheaply made. Not particularly pretty either, sitting on my Hi Fi rack in the living room.
However, I bought these to send a good picture, not look sturdy and pretty...

After a few tries around different location to place both units, I got very good picture and sound through several solid, thick walls. This is dramatically better than the 2.4GHz unit I previously used. It cannot compete with my usual cable box quality but is absolutely usable. The Wireless network has no effect on the quality. My microwave (which sits pretty much between the sender and receiver) makes no difference to reception either. The only interference happens when someone walks very close to either sender or receiver- something you may want to keep in mind in a busy house.

The IR sender works perfectly with my Virgin V+ box and I have full access to all remote functionality (record, play, etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin - really well., 2 Sep 2009
Got this today, plugged it in and it worked. Took a few minutes to get the IR Extenders in the right place. but I am really chuffed with how easy this worked. No clashes with wireless router.

I am using it with a Virgin Media V+HD receiver. The only problem I have is that the channel details don't transmit along with hte picture upstairs - so I can't use the TV Guide or the favourites button. But I think that is to do with the way the Virgin Box works and not with the AV Sender. And the most important thing is that I can change channels upstairs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Usable but not perfect, 21 Nov 2009
Elsie McMath "Elsie" (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
We got the Emprex AWV-698B 5.8Ghz Wireless Video sender to send our Sky signal to the bedroom. It was very quickly and easily installed - and the infra-red extender is very effective allowing Sky Plus recordings made and accessed. However, enjoyment is marred by a constant buzz and, when there is any movement around the house at all, there is dreadful signal interference. We are glad to have the units but slightly disappointed in the sound quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Met the criteria, 7 Mar 2009
Ms. K. Maguire (London) - See all my reviews
Bought to use the TV in the bedroom and lounge. Does what it says on the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it promises, 6 May 2009
Purchased this to use with the TV in the bedroom, sharing the Freeview signal received downstairs. It's only transmitting across a relatively short distance, and with only flooring (no walls) in the way, but it gives an interference free picture on the second set and was up and running in less than 10 minutes. There is a slight buzzing sound when there's silence on the TV programme, but that's a very small price to pay.

The only reasons it's not 5*: the user manual is pretty useless so there's a bit of guesswork in setting it up; the button to change channel is on the side of the unit, in front of the power switch making it very easy to inadvertently switch channels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality Signal, 25 Nov 2009
I'm only using this in the bedroom but I was still impressed with the signal, being able to use my sky remote upstairs and still control the box feels a bit weird but works perfectly, I can't believe I've been fiddling with an internal aerial for this long.

The usual great service from Amazon and well packaged