Price:£0.99

on 22 April 2013
I heard this song for the first time whilst driving home one evening, and immediately fell in love with it. The song is a tribute to famous artist Vincent Van Gogh, the opening line being a reference to his painting "The Starry Night". Van Gogh is often regarded as being mentally unstable, but "Vincent" paints a very different picture. Don McClean claims that Van Gogh was sane, and "suffered for his sanity", as he tried to educate the masses, who simply would not listen- and still refuse to listen to this day. For me, what makes the song powerful is that its sentiment is relevant to many great individuals. Many of the early philosophers, most notably Socrates, suffered for their sanity, and you could also apply the statement to Galileo, Sir Isaac Newton, and Charles Darwin, and probably countless other individuals.
on 30 December 2009
Just quite simply the finest song by Don McLean. All of the Kudos goes to him for his 8 minute epic, but undeniably this is him at his sublime best.
The choice of lyric and the quality of his vocals. He has such a beautiful and assured range which he demonstrates so tremendously well. It is quite simply harmony!!!
on 18 July 2011
Being young I haven't heard alot of the older artists, however when I heard this song it really struck me as to how brilliant they actually are! Really worth buying.
on 26 June 2013
Again brings back thought of my childhood. Really good song. Download was easy and very pleased with purchase. What more can i say.
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2013
Didn't realise this was #1 when I was born what a classic tune. Vincent has always been a favourite and now means more than ever.
on 12 April 2013
What a song. What a performance. This track sends shivers down my spine every time I listen. A classic and deservedly so.
on 27 October 2011
This is another one from memory lane. This song and American Pie are in my book the signature songs from Don
on 12 March 2015
Have always been a massive Van Gogh fan and this song is just so beautiful about him.
on 5 August 2014
A bit of artistic licence shown here but an homage to the artist.
on 12 July 2014
Beautiful song with a particular meaning for me. Love it!!