5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the Apex Microscope!
Published on 27 Feb 2012 by CSMedia

3.0 out of 5 stars Apex Snapper
I bought this at the same time as the Apex Researcher Microscope (see my other review for this).
Published on 16 Oct 2011 by M. E. W

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the Apex Microscope!, 27 Feb 2012
CSMedia (Gospel Oak, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Apex Snapper (Electronics)
Arrived today for our 'Scholar' microscope, would disagree with previous comments. The housing is easy to assemble but the instructions must be followed to secure a tight fit, it is not just a matter of putting the adapter on and tightening. The single screw uses a clamping system which secures the tube centrally to the microscope housing and is VERY solid, if not then it has not been constructed correctly. Our camera is a Nikon D5100, manual setting with live view and the camera screen swivelled from the camera back for easy view. The camera screen can be magnified so that the focus can be adjusted accurately via the microscope. There is a remote control setting on the camera which is best used to fire the shutter, though pressing the shutter with the button works fine. These adapters can be expensive and for 50 this is value for money. It comes with an extension tube (2 parts), a lensed (x 4) photo eyepiece which is integral to the adapter, to match the image from the stereoscopes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to use and very good results, 17 May 2012
This review is from: The Apex Snapper (Electronics)
I've just received my Snapper today and have been testing it out on my Apex Researcher using a Pentax K-X.

It's easy to set up but the instructions are not as good as they could be. With the Researcher, the important things are that you need to use this instead of the binocular head, and to make sure you put on of the microscope's eyepieces (not sure what the correct term for one is) inside the Snapper (I've been using 10x), otherwise you will get an over-exposed centre on the image.

Since I don't have a remote shutter release for my camera, I just use the 2 second timer. This works fine. Focussing with the microscope is exactly the same and you can view it through the camera's viewfinder - it's really easy to do. I've already got some really nice pics with it and I've only been using it for about 30mins. Just playing with the ISO and the exposure times is enough to get a nice range of images.

The build quality etc. is very good and I am happy with the value of this item. Based on my experience so far, I would strongly recommend this. Apex microscopes (the seller) are great to deal with - they've been really helpful (I'd contacted them in advance with questions)

So - it's 5 stars from me. Now I must get back to photographing bees wings...

3.0 out of 5 stars Apex Snapper, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Apex Snapper (Electronics)
This is basically a tube system which allows the use of a DSLR camera on a microscope, in my case a Canon 450D. You need to tell Apex which camera you'll be using so they can send the correct connection bit for your model and you need to check your camera will still take photos with the lens removed.
The Snapper isn't particularly well built, the bit that joins the eyepice insertion to the camera insertion is sloppy and held together with a single nut which means the complete unit is unstable and often not centralised on the image.
The instructions don't give much away - mine kept telling me to remove the eyepiece but when I did this on the Researcher microscope the Snapper wouldn't fit -and then it dawned on me that the whole "head" needs to be removed, definitely a D'oh moment!
Once attached it's then a matter of finding the right settings on your own camera to take the best photo, I'd recommend using a remote shutter release, live view and mirror lock-up to reduce all the vibration. I've taken some nice shots but I'm sure different settings will produce even better results.
There's loads of info on the net for taking images through a microscope - just search for 'photomicrography' - and lots of different ways of doing it, this being one of the cheapest if you already own a DSLR and want to use that.
Whilst the Snapper does the job, it could have been better made without much extra cost. It's the single nut that lets the whole thing down!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little fiddly at first, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Apex Snapper (Electronics)
A bit fiddly to set up at first, but mated with the SLR and using the PC I had no trouble in recording stills from the Apex microscope. This little attachment transforms the microscope into a powerful instrument, punching way beyond its meagre price. The microscopes at work are 4,000+ I could do 85% of the things with the Apex for 1/8 of the cost with this attachment.

The Apex Snapper