4.0 out of 5 stars Flexible organiser
I've been looking for a product like this for years, that can intuitively read my bits and scraps of Excel files and Entourage address books and gather them together into a single database. This functionality alone is worth getting your hands on Bento 2 for.
Published on 16 May 2009 by Nettlewine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, flawed implementation
First thing to be aware of is that this is Leopard only.
After the usual install/upgrade malarky, the program is ready to go.
Published on 11 May 2009 by A. I. Mackenzie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, flawed implementation, 11 May 2009
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing to be aware of is that this is Leopard only.
After the usual install/upgrade malarky, the program is ready to go.
The first thing you notice is that the program has integrated with your Address Book and your iCal. If you've got a lot of info in these programs probably best to back them up first, as any changes you make in Bento will reflect in your actual data. You can also import your e-mail from Apple Mail, but this is one way only. I found the Address book feature quite useful as I've never got round to adding my data into Address book as its too fiddly and US centric.

The front end is very reminiscent of old school Mac, and as I've used Filemaker before (and liked it) it's all very familiar.

However despite it being very easy to add data to Bento, there are some obvious limitations. One of the obvious things to do with your address data is to print out address labels with it, but Bento doesn't support this! Very odd, so it's of some use if you manage large collections or a membership list, but I don't think that Filemaker have really thought this through.

At the moment I would recommend the 30 day free trial if you're interested, and see how you get on but with the limited printing options it's hardly essential at the moment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some things are better left alone..., 23 Aug 2009
K. Jamison (Co. Down, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Er, another database.

"One database to rule them all." Well, we know what Sauron's 'One Ring' did for Middle Earth...

The first notable point is that this is for 10.5, Leopard. A fact not included on the Amazon website page.

So I've had to wait a while to review this while I bought and installed Leopard on my iMac.

To be honest, I expected more from FileMaker. Bento is a fraction of the price and it shows. There are user groups and forums dedicated to this application but I personally feel that I shouldn't have to lurk in the forums or trawl old posts in order to use something that should be intuitive. One of the first things I notice about ANY software package is not the complexity of the interface, but how intuitive it is to use. Don't get me started on Microsoft's Office 2007... I'm still in shock moving from Office XP.

Bento also appears to be geared towards the 'paperless office' concept which has been around for decades. Printing options are limited and frankly disappointing.

I don't have an iPhone so cannot confirm or deny what others have said.

I ran it on a 2.0GHz DC iMac 17" (G5 style) and didn't notice much sluggishness but I guess that running it on less than a DC machine, with Leopard, may cause bottlenecks.

It's also discouraging to note that FileMaker admit there have been problems with Bento and numerous patches have been published to resolve issues since version 1 of the software.

If you are happy with the way iCal, AddressBook and AppleMail work as is, then best avoid Bento for now. Maybe by version 3 they will be tending towards a more intuitive product.

As for me? I removed it. I'm happy with the status quo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flexible organiser, 16 May 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The tools for creating projects and setting dates and agendas are interesting and powerful, particularly for occasions when yo have disparate in-house and out-of-house personnel. However, it's hard to make a GUI truly usable; a more graphics-based interface would have suited my way of doing things.
Inevitably, working such a new piece of software into your workflow is going to take some getting used to, but the Bento guys have thought of pretty much every problem you're going to encounter, so I'd suggest sticking with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Page, you need Bento 3 or Fray Bentos., 24 Oct 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's taken me so long to find a purpose for Bento 2, they've released Bento 3. So this review is pretty pointless.
I tried looking for reasons on the Bentos Website. The templates ran from mundane to obscure. The blood pressure template shows many 'databases' are better served by pencils and notebooks (134/83 at time of writing). Then there's templates like Texas Legal Codes; Useful as long as you're a cop in Texas with an iphone that actually gets a 3G signal... A little too specialized for me. The only thing I found it useful for was cataloging my library; But Delicious Library 2 does this much better and uses the isight as a barcode reader.
I imagine this will be a one use item for many, but it's low price means you won't feel cheated. But by looking at the Bento template page, people enjoy wasting time making useless databases.
Perhaps they should bundle this in with iWork. It maybe some use to some small businesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars A database for the rest of us, 30 April 2009
Rolo "rolo211" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bento is a consumer database from FileMaker. Since FileMaker Pro is the long-established leading Mac database product (in fact the company was previously part of Apple itself) you would expect an exemplary Mac application - and that is what you've got. The interface will be very familiar to anyone used to working with iTunes and iPhoto, and it integrates with live data from iCal and Address Book, and with the iPhone.
This is not for those who want industrial-level database management, but for the home user wanting to organise their projects and events it is perfect - and very reasonably priced.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK as far as it goes, 17 May 2009
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Produced by Filemaker, probably the premium Relational Database Management System available on a Mac, Bento appears to promise much as a fraction of the price of Filemaker. I'm afraid it shows. For simple work organising addresses, cataloging books, or other straight-forward database tasks it's OK but it lacks any real power in a RDMS sense. I'm not sure that much the same functionality could be obtained from Excel if you have the MS Office apps installed on your Mac. So, to play around with simple databases with only limited aims it's OK for the price. it's no RDMS though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what I wanted and at an acceptable price, 29 Mar 2009
This review is from: FileMaker - Bento 2 (CD-ROM)
Whilst it hasn't all the power of Filemaker, it is only about a tenth of the price. I have been well pleased with its ability to handle libraries of over 45,000 entries at acceptable speed. Searching, sorting and making collections is straightforward and easier than using Excel or Numbers for the same functions.

It has quirks that are annoying - e.g. exporting fields in the order in which they were created rather than the order shown in table view. Form layout is also somewhat unpredictable.

Try before you buy and see if it is OK for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but some limitations, 7 Aug 2009
This review is from: FileMaker - Bento 2 (CD-ROM)
Whilst BENTO is very good I have some comments meant as constructive criticism for the software developers (please take note):
1. the iphone module is restrictive in its search facility - for instance there is no way to search to find "active" projects or make an advance find as in the desktop software. Furthermore you can only search the two display fields and not the complete database
2. there is no Greek support. A database showing Greek just fine in filemaker (important unicode emails copy-pasted as text) is not readable in BENTO.
3. the layout on the iphone cannot be modified in any way.

I would recommend it though as it is otherwise an excellent piece of software.

1.0 out of 5 stars A cheat, 28 Sep 2009
R. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FileMaker - Bento 2 (CD-ROM)
I bought this product of an Apple subsidiary under two years ago and found it less good than cheaper alternatives (such as MyNotes). With the update to Apple's operating system (Snow Leopard) Bento no longer works without paying for an upgrade to it. For a company to make its own software unusable and one's stored data inaccessible after less than two years and without warning is entirely unreasonable. Be warned when considering this or Apple's other programs - you may be buying only a few months' use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brings little to your Mac life, 10 July 2009
M. C. Cresswell - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Databases are for work, and generally dull in my book. I was nevertheless vaguely intrigued at the idea of those random data storage paraphernalia I do have coming together in one place.

Given my aversion to anything databaselike, and my meagre data storage requirements, I was limited in my range to things like iCal and Address Book. And basically what Bento2 does is drag together these sources of data into one place or page, which is customisable by you according to various templates provided.

And that, folks, is pretty much it. Am I missing the point? Perhaps. But come on, life is way too short for this kind of malarky.

FileMaker - Bento 2
FileMaker - Bento 2 by FileMaker (Mac OS X)
Out of stock