5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Faithfull!
Published on 8 Nov 2007 by P. A. J. Oswin

2.0 out of 5 stars Food For Thought For the Arty Farties
'Vagabond Ways' (1999) is certainly one of Marianne Faithfull's most obtrusively auto-biographical ventures, albeit not one of her best ones. I still treasure many of her late 20th century albums, especially 'Secret Life', but 'Vagabond Ways' is not among them.
Published on 21 Dec 2008 by C. J. Ganter

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Faithfull!, 8 Nov 2007
P. A. J. Oswin "Artefactman" (Northumberland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vagabond Ways (Audio CD)
If one had to choose just one artiste to reflect the last forty-odd years of music, life, the universe and everything; then Miss Faithful does so as no other ever could. She captures facets of all our paths; holding our head whilst directing our eyes and hearts, making us remember, making us see again, making us hear our inner selves.....lost lives thrust and dangled before us. She encapsulates much more than mere music. I admit it, I just don't have the vocabularly to sufficiently define her import. All I really know, is after listening to Miss Faithfull I am strangely bereft, but not abandoned.....she is the breeeze that blows across the decades; often a chilling caress, but always, always deeply inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars A jewel in her crown, 21 Nov 2002
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vagabond Ways (Audio CD)
The predominantly somber Vagabond Ways is a shimmering masterpiece without even one throwaway track. Five of these melodious pop songs were co-written by Marianne, with Barry Reynolds involved in the writing of three of them. Quite a few are reminiscences of the 1960s, like the title track, Roger Waters' Incarceration of a Flower Child, and File It Under Fun From The Past, an equally mournful song of regret & resignation adorned by cello & viola.

The atmospheric Marathon Kiss, written & co-produced by Daniel Lanois and with Emmylou Harris on backing vocals, is truly magnificent, the distilled essence of the early to mid 1980s era Faithfull when she maintained a creative peak with three consecutive albums on Island Records. Electra, Wilder Shores of Love & the romantic Great Expectations are similar down-tempo numbers of lost love and yearning.

Her exquisite interpretations lend new meaning to Leonard Cohen's I'm Your Man, the Roger Waters' song & For Wanting You, the Elton John/Bernie Taupin composition. The album concludes with Marianne's recital of the poem After The Ceasefire. Vagabond Ways is on a par with her classic trilogy of Broken English, A Child's Adventure and Dangerous Acquaintances - another radiant jewel in her crown and a definite five star album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Marianne, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Vagabond Ways (Audio CD)
I play this over and over again....always loved her voice...this is an excellent CD,it just grows and grows on you....lovely lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marianne at her best, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Vagabond Ways (Audio CD)
Worth listening to simply for the title track and 'File It Under Fun From The Past'. A great world-weary survivor.

5.0 out of 5 stars WINNER ALL THE WAY, 14 July 2000
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vagabond Ways (Audio CD)
This is a great return to form. It's one of those rare albums without one dud track. Beautiful, melodic pop songs follow one another in a golden sequence of aural delight. My faves are (Leonard Cohen's) Tower Of Song, Marathon Kiss {"I cherish the night/of your marathon kiss/chemicals flying/Oh I love this"], Wilder Shores of Love, File It Under Fun, Vagabond Ways. She's singing with passion again and the material is first class.

2.0 out of 5 stars Food For Thought For the Arty Farties, 21 Dec 2008
C. J. Ganter (Zirndorf, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vagabond Ways (Audio CD)
Even though the production is as smooth and professional as ever, her voice as crudely raw as ever and the choice of songs and collaborators (Daniel Lanois, Roger Waters and Leonard Cohen to name but the most prominent ones) as exquisite as ever, the record leaves me strikingly untouched.
'Vagabond Ways', the title track, sums up the ups and downs of her sex, drugs & rock 'n' roll lifestyle neatly enough, but the music is not exactly a pleasure to listen to. While the lyrics of 'Electra' are somewhat amusing, the melody fails to strike any memorable chords. Her cover of Cohen's 'Tower of Song' may adequately be called bland and dispensable. And this, I'm afraid, applies to the entire album, so the examples may suffice.
The sadly boring record is definitely meant to appeal to well-educated listeners of class and academic background, food for thought for the arty farties. What it lacks, though, is what the cliché-ridden phrase of 'heart & soul' means. Marianne Faithfull has done better.

Vagabond Ways