5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind 5 stars - this deserves TEN
So ---

how are you when it comes to loosening your grussets, traddling your thrums and letting your bossocks down as you consider the stresses of being a bogle clencher?

Published on 3 Jan. 2007 by Alan Sturgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Made me clench my artefacts
Perhaps it's because the original recordings of these songs on "Round the Horne" are more familiar that I found this compilation disappointing. The Syd Rumpo tunes are funny, and at times hilarious but it would seem that the recording is a reprise of the sketches recorded for the radio show and therefore lack the tension and anticipation of the BBC artefacts...
Published on 12 Oct. 2007 by Jonny Cowper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind 5 stars - this deserves TEN, 3 Jan. 2007
So ---

If none of that makes sense to you, then I'm not sure why you're looking at this CD. Mark you, none of it does make any sense at all; not in the slightest - but it is brilliant beyond belief for just that reason.

Rambling Syd first became a cultural icon when he sang his cordwangler's ballads in the BBC Radio series 'Round the Horne'. His laments and love songs from the long-lost days of fumbling shops and thunder jugs truly captured the essence of Englishness with their poignant tales of love, yearning and unrequited desire - not to mention various forms of unmentionable afflictions of the moolies and lallies.

Take, as a simple example, 'The Sussex Whindling Song' which Syd discovered whilst dipping into his gander bag. (His lengthy introduction is nothing less than pure joy to listen to)

Will you still love me Mary - O

when my grussets be bended low,

when my orbs grow dim and my pubes grow white

and my cordwangle makes an ugly sight

and my grussets be bended low,

and my grussets be bended low.

You ask me if I'll love you - O

though your grussets be bended low,

though your orbs be dim and your pubes be white

and your cordwangle makes an ugly sight.

If I feel the way I do tonight,

my answer will still beeeeeeeeEEeeee - NO!

The fact that all the songs are based on well known traditional melodies makes this whole listening experience even more authentic. Martin Carthy was NEVER like this.

All the songs are introduced by Syd in front of live audiences and are NOT simply lifted out of the 'Round the Horne' tapes.

So, if you want your withers rung and your moolies traddled, this CD just has to be one to add to your collection.

And if you think this review is little more than gibberish, then this CD is definitely not for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have any quibbles with this CD it's that it really did need a lyric sheet with references to the tunes used, and it's a shame the various tracks fade in and out rather than being merged to make it sound like a continuous performance in front of a live audience. But those small niggles can be overlooked in the face of such masterful invention and perfect comedic timing and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of Rambling Syd Rumpo, Kenneth Williams - `Ello me dearios!,, 26 Sept. 2009
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
If you're reading this, it's a fair bet that you're already aware of what's here, and who Rambling Syd Rumpo is. For the uninitiated, suffice to say that Rambling Syd was one of the incomparable Kenneth Williams' alter egos, and probably one of England's finest folk singers (and I say that with no hint of sarcasm, he was genuinely a fine singer).

Rumpo had a fine yokel accent, and used a language all of his own that was incredibly open to interpretation. He takes well know old folk melodies and gives them new words (mainly written by Marty Feldman and Barry Took) with hilarious effect. Don't just look at the humour though, the singing is of a very high standard.

Most of the songs featured here were originally heard as part of `Round The Horne', one of radios most successful comedy shows. The recordings here are a bit different to the ones heard in that show, and seem to be taken from a separate concert. Also included are Williams singing it straight in 2 wonderful tributes to Noel Coward (`Don't Put Your Daughters n The Stage' and `Mad Dogs), which are quite magnificent, and apparently won the approval of Coward himself. There are also a few forgettable non-Rumpo tracks, the origin of which is not revealed by the liner notes, said notes are suitably rambling and uninformative.

Sound quality is top notch, with every carefully enunciated syllable shining through. An album which has given me hours of pleasure. 5 stars and recommended to all fans of Williams, folk music and classic British comedy

4.0 out of 5 stars Rambling!!!, 24 July 2007
Excellent if you know what you are getting!! Short traditional folk tunes set with new and - different - words!! Classic Comedy with the emphasis on it all being in your head, and it will be. The last 8 tracks are Kenneth Williams singing other songs, mainly Noel Coward, and are slightly disappointing after the first 16.

3.0 out of 5 stars Made me clench my artefacts, 12 Oct. 2007

What are glaringly missing are the reluctant and trepidacious introductions from Kenneth Horne. This also means that on this CD you don't get Kenneth Williams fully in the character of Rambling Syd, only singing the songs.

And of course tracks 17 to 24 are fillers and not the wonderful Rambling Syd Rumpo at all, including KW singing very much in the style of Noel Coward as to be almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

A better buy is the cassette compilation "40 Warbles from "Round the Horne's" Doyen of Folk Singers: Starring Kenneth Williams & Kenneth Horne (BBC Radio Collection)"

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane, 31 July 2009
M. Law (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
Oh those Sunday afternoons hidden from mum and dad with the transistor on and finding 'Round the Horne' - seemed subversive, never heard anything like that before - and such weird and wonderful names, accents and humour - so this was a right trip back down memory lane to the days of the old Bush set and the earpiece plugged in while Sunday lunch was quietly (well sometimes not so quietly) digesting - lovely

5.0 out of 5 stars Get behind the crystallised fruits and keel haul your dandos, 23 Oct. 2010
Rob Sawyer (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
I've no idea what reminded me of the Rambling Syd Rumpo but once he had crossed my mind I was transported back to Christmas 1970 with my late father and late uncles crying with laughter as they listened. I laughed too although at 11 I probably didn't understand all the suggestiveness and innuendoes.

Much to my surprise I found this CD on Amazon so bought it. As I was about to play it I felt a pang of imminent disappointment which thankfully was unfounded. A few seconds in and I remembered it almost word for word and was once again back in 1970.

The songs are daft really as they don't mean anything per se but with a bit of imagination they come to life as dirty schoolboy humour folk songs - I am laughing as I am typing this 'there's an octopus up my dando'!

I think you have to have a certain madness (I nadgered at my snod) to listen to this and I am sure many people would find it stupid and puerile which it probably is.

Absolutely loved it!

Keep on wurdling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenneth Williams at his outrageous best!, 11 Sept. 2012
This CD takes me straight back to my youth when I would cycle around Essex with my mates and transistor radio's strapped to the handlebars listening to episodes of Round the Horn. The character of Rambling Syd had us in fits of laughter with his country accent and his inuendos. All the songs are based on old ballads and sea shanty's which many older listeners will recognise. My personal favourites are 'The Terrible Tale of the Somerset Nog' and 'The Black Grunger of Hounslow'.
If it is sensible lyrics and top notch olde worlde country music you are after do not buy this CD. This is for the Monty Python and Carry On fans who recognise a good send up when they hear it.
The only downside is the strange inclusion of the last eight tracks such as 'Read All About It' and Mad Dogs and Englishmen' which, although they are good versions of Noel Coward type material, do not really belong on this CD and have nothing to do with Rambling Syd and his collection of ditty's.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Rambling Syd Rumpo, 7 Oct. 2009
A very good CD but not entirely Rambling Syd. I was surprised there were other songs included on the disc

5.0 out of 5 stars it probably sounds like a load of tripe, 12 Aug. 2014
Well my deario, I listened to this complete disc whilst boggling in my ganderbag. To most of you under 65 years who are reading this, it probably sounds like a load of tripe. The Round the Horne series was so far ahead of its time as far as comedy was concerned, and Rambling Syd Rumpo, Julian and Sandy, Dame Celia Molestrangler and ageing juvenile lead Binky Huckerback, were all part of it. You can keep your modern day comedians as most of what they spout is a load of rubbish and usually quite crude. Yes, Round the Horne was steeped with inuendo, but of course the meaning was in the eye of the beholder. A first class product, from a first class programme.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of radio pleasure my dearios, 20 Dec. 2012
Mr. D. Boocock (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
Rambling Syd Rumpo began his werdling and noodling on the Round The Horne, and rambled off from there. Kenneth Williams gives a fantastic performance and is a joy to listen to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›