Format: MP3 Download|Change

Jeri is my all-time favorite torch singer. Although I prefer her music on Decca, which was generally sparser and even more intimate, her Capitol recordings are still of an extemely high quality.
All except one of the tracks included here are drawn from the albums At the Cresendo, Meets Cole Porter, Southern breeze and Coffee cigarettes and memories. These have been previously released on CD as two twofers.
The rarity is Two sleepy people, which is originally from the album Jeri Southern Meets Johnny Smith (not available on CD), and is the only track I didn't already own. Jeri does a great version of it, although there are plenty of other versions of this song around. You have to be a committed Jeri fan (like me) to buy this collection if you already own both the twofers.
It is, of course, an excellent collection, but if you haven't got any of Jeri's music, I recommend you try her Decca recordings first.
on 3 November 2003
There are many female vocalists around who command ones attention
and Jeri Southern is up there with the best-Just listen to her rendering of the nostalgic number"I'm stepping out with a memory
tonight"- she makes you believe every word comes straight from the heart-when you purchase this disc-after you listen to the aforementioned track-press track 24-"spring will be a little late this year-those two tracks alone are worth the cost of this lovely "Ultimate" Jeri Southern cd--L Collins