5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Callas. Quintessential Bel Canto., 1 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bellini: I Puritani (Audio CD)
The name of Maria Callas was not much known at the time of this recording's international release. A few months later that had all changed. Callas was emerging at the time as a phenomenon in the operatic world, and this recording shows why. It captures her at her very best: the voice pristine, elastic and capable of whatever colouration the soprano wishes. She tackles the role with fearless technique, breathtaking virtuosity, but most importantly, with inherent style and individuality. It is quintessential Bellini singing, the greatest to be put on record and the benchmark for future generations of singers tackling this repertory. Callas is well served by Giuseppe di Stefano, a tenor pushed here just past his natural resources but singing with ardent tone and elegant phrasing. Nicola Rossi-Lemeni and Ronaldo Panerai are both great stylists, albeit with less impressive vocal means. Tullio Serafin, mentor of them all, guides the La Scala forces with complete identification with the score. If you have no other Callas in your collection, this is the one to have. OK sound - better than most of the Callas/EMI re-issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best of Callas', 20 Nov 2007
Pajor Zsolt "zenon" (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bellini: I Puritani (Audio CD)
I don't really know what was listening to exactly the reviewer who wrote that this recording is the worst singing by Callas or was he really listening to, and not just put the disc on for some sort of background music...
Because (and even though I don't know the Sutherland version of this opera, but want to know it, just because there are so many, saying that
I Puritani is the best with Dame Sutherland) I have to say that Callas gives one of her best on this recording. I was completly amazed when I first put in the CD. And it's not just her but the whole group with di Sefano and for sure Tullio Serafin who brings together this opera so amazingly! It's really worth it to buy this set. But I'll buy the Sutherland version as soon as I can afford it (40.99!) and not only to compare the two, but because I like both of the great singers, Callas and Sutherland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ludicrous, 9 Sep 2007
This review is from: Bellini: I Puritani (Audio CD)
The previous reviewer completely misses the point of Callas. It's not about vocal beauty. The previous reviewer should go back to their Sutherland/Caballe and look for any drama. They will not find it. Callas sings with such feeling. She is not Callas, she IS Elvira.

I Puritani - Bellini
I Puritani - Bellini by Milano/Orchestra Del Teatro Alla Scala, M Maria Callas/Tullio Serafin/Giuseppe Di Stefano/Rolando Panerai/Nicola Rossi-Lemeni/Angelo Mercuriali/Carlo Forti/Aurora Cattelani/Coro Del Teatro Alla Scala
Buy MP3 Album17.99