5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than 500 miles...
My first brush with the Proclaimers was in the mid 80's, the band with the 'crazy videos' as I knew them, with little regard for their music. King of the Road was great but a cover.

Published on 30 Aug 2006 by Pauly Boy

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated but still ok
I only bought this CD after going to see the Sunshine on Leith movie. The movie was great, the cd is rather dated but the songs are original and still ok. Only one song from the film is missing from this cd. Its a good cd to have in the car.
Published 9 months ago by Jimmy

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than 500 miles..., 30 Aug 2006
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)

Fast Forward to 2001, and nights out in Liverpool whilst at university, one couldn't go through a night without hearing 500 Miles (or 'I'm gonna be' to give it the proper name..). My housemates were all going to see the Proclaimers at Liverpool University, and I went too. We got hold of a copy of this album before the gig (from a random uncle of one of the lads), and were blown away.

There were what you could call religious experiences throughout the gig, with folks what didn't know each other embracing and singing 'Sunshine on Leith' at the top of our voices. The aforementioned title track is possibly the most beautiful and touching song written about God, without being preachy.

A purchase duly followed, and the album didn't leave the CD player for weeks. Highlights for me (apart from the two tracks mentioned previously) are 'Oh Jean', a pean to Ugly blokes and girls, 'My Old Friend The Blues' a beautiful cover, and just about the whole album.

Just buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine on Leith, 21 Dec 2004
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
Without a doubt the finest offering from the boys Reid, so far we hope!
It's one of those albums you buy for the singles that have been buzzing around your head for days on end, in this case "I'm gonna be 500 miles" and "I'm on my way" and then you end up falling in love with the superb "filler" tracks instead.
There's the sadly sweet "Sunshine on Leith" with its beautiful soaring fiddle work, the raucous "Cap in Hand", a tongue in cheek protest song about the English(!), the country and western flavoured "What do you do?" and the drunken choruses of "It's Saturday Night"
Another outstanding track is "Teardrops", sung in a punchy shouting style with a single guitar as accompaniment it shouldn't make for a love song, yet the strong and from the heart lyrics make it a superbly moving song.
Excellent Album.

4.0 out of 5 stars More then 500 miles, 21 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
I bought this album for "I'm Gonna Be", but after i listened to it over and over I still love this song but there are a couple i like even more.
For me the album is mostly filled with "feel good" songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine on Leith, 4 Jan 2005
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
Without a doubt the finest offering from the boys Reid, so far we hope!
Excellent Album.

4.0 out of 5 stars May as well be a "best of"!, 4 May 2003
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
Although there's also an official "best of" album, this is really as close as you need to get to all the best Proclaimers' tracks on 1 CD. I love this album - it's a weird mixture of really quite romantic love songs for a person and love songs for an independent Scotland. It's odd to listen to lyrics like "Thought that I'd be happy/Gonna be so happy living life alone...and then I Met You" (Then I Met You) and then "I can't understand why we let someone else rule our land" (Cap In Hand). Funnily enough it seems to work - you get the feeling that Craig and Charlie Reid are passionate men, and why should that just manifest itself in romantic relationships? Even if you haven't seen Shrek, I defy you to listen to "I'm On My Way" without smiling as you join in with the "uh-huh, uh-huh" background vocals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Tugging stuff, 25 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
A spiritual and emotional collection of songs. Their sense of humour is obvious (listen to Jean) and also their patriotism and sensitivity shines through in every song. The album so obviously reflects their Scottish heritage. Some of the songs are humorous, some touching and some very patriotic. The music itself ranges from jolly to classic - My favourite 2 from this album are Teardrops and Cap in hand. Excellent listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm on my way.... to give a great review!, 6 Jun 2007
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
Well what can I say.. I've been a Proclaimers fan for a good few years now.. it was because of hearing "I'm On My Way" in the Shrek film that I decided to get the best of album.. and after hearing it, its clear the majority of the good tracks have come from this album.

Sunshine On Leith was a little underated as an album at the time but people have now sat up and paid attention thanks to the inclusion of the aforementioned "I'm On My Way" in the Shrek film to the inclusion of "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" in the Benny and Joon film made back in the early 90's.

My favourites are the obvious: I'm Gonna Be and I'm On My Way but special mention should be made to Then I Met You.. the fast guitar playing and the tight band instrumentation make this track a treat to hear... and I think its between this, I'm Gonna Be and I'm On My Way as being the best tracks off the album, its a shame it never got onto the Best Of album, I wonder why.

The only track I can think of thats not as strong as the others is "Come On Nature" apart from that, all the rest are catchy, melodic and will forever be a part of you, plus... something about the Proclaimers makes me want to sing in a Scottish accent.. and I doubt I'm the only one who does this.. its that infectious.

The best offering I think from Skye's finest duo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic songs with superb lyrics, 27 Feb 2014
Mr. John Smith (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
Really love this. Have other Proclaimers music but don't listen to it enough. Put this on and wondered why I don't listen to them more often. Really enjoyable and my wife just kept putting it on again and again letting the sounds seep through the house as were going about things and we never tired of it throughout a pleasent Saturday indoors to take our minds of the foul weather outside. Sunshine right enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good music, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
Loved the film and therefore wanted music but listening to it without the film not quite the same and one of my favourite scenes from the film not included in disc - the one when they are all in the pub and getting on the tables to sing different verses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated but still ok, 24 Nov 2013