5.0 out of 5 stars Great recording and now fantastic value on download
Published on 16 Aug 2011 by Paul Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but poor quality
OK it's cheap, and an old recording, but should the quality be this bad? It sounds like a 1920s shellac disc. I only needed this for rehearsing a performance, but it's not really good enough even for that.
Published on 18 Dec 2009 by L. Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recording and now fantastic value on download, 16 Aug 2011
Paul Baker - See all my reviews
Just like the previous reviewer I was completely hooked by this recording when I first heard part of it. I had to buy it (expensive at the time -about £40 I think I paid which felt like a small fortune as a student then) and I wasn't disappointed. Probably the most listened to cds from my music collection; gorgeous recording with just breath taking moments of precision and clarity. Fantastic purchase - worth every penny even then!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but poor quality, 18 Dec 2009
L. Rose (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good for the price, 31 Mar 2013
Having read the reviews of other recordings of this complex and much interpreted work, I bought this expecting it to be at least slightly flawed. But it's exactly what I needed to listen through so that I could know the piece to sing it. The clarity and separation of the parts is good enough to be used as a reference by choral singers, and I don't know whether our choir leader has the same recording, but the pace is the same as we sang it.

I would definitely recommend it to people studying the work to sing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling Live Recording, 9 Mar 2011
This is not the best recording, since it was done live complete with audience coughing. The sound is very muddy and a bit erratic, although the quality of the performance itself is good. With this conductor and soloists it should be, but shame about the recording quality.

Bach: Mass in B Minor
Bach: Mass in B Minor by Eugen Jochum/Helen Donath/Brigitte Fassbaender/Claes Hakon Ahnsjö/Roland Hermann/Robert Holl/Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Buy MP3 Album£19.19