5.0 out of 5 stars Vivaldi brought to exciting, brilliant life
Published 14 months ago by Louise the book worm

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointing
I must be of the "old school" who enjoy music as it was intended to be played. This version is too wrapped up in the modern way of trying to better perfection.As they said of Gould./...Is this genius a nut or is this nut a genius.? Definitely the former in my book.
Published 10 months ago by Musicman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivaldi brought to exciting, brilliant life, 25 Jun 2013
Having worn out the vinyl version many years ago, I don't even own this any more - but it lives on in my head, as fresh, powerful, spiky and exciting as it was when I heard it in 1989. This album rekindled my fading interest in classical music, and to this day when I hear Four Seasons movements on the radio, I find it remarkably easy to single out his version from the sleep-inducing alternatives.

It's not musical memory so much as sense memory: it's how the playing makes me feel that tells me it's Kennedy. I neither know nor care about Kennedy the self-publicist - to me it was always the worst snobbery of the classical music world that assertive publicity was considered 'vulgar'. Why exactly should classical musicians don that black evening dress and disappear into the music, be subsumed by it? I like this version precisely because he doesn't disappear into the music. I simply can't believe Vivaldi wrote that spine-tinglingly virtuoso violin music for any but but the greatest of show-off musicians, and in Kennedy he has what I think he wrote for: Kennedy's Stradivarius, and Kennedy's enthusiasm, talent and ego, making something explosively strong and memorable.

I'm going to go and buy it again, not because I need to remember it, but just to show continued support for a world-class classical musician and his exciting (and continuing) pushing of the envelope, to the horror of purists.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very refreshing version of a too-often recorded work, 6 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This CD is simply one of the best versions of Vivaldi's most well known work. While it is easy to assume that all recordings of The Four Seasons are much the same (I believe there have been over 150!), this one really brings something new to the party.
Love or loath Kennedy, there's no denying he knows how to use a violin. There are some amazing sounds on this CD, which really add a freshness to a work that is in great danger of being done to death.
One of my "Top 10" classical CDs!

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it -I think., 6 Feb 2014
Enjoyable, perhaps not the best recording but that is a matter of taste. Having seen him live helped to make it a living performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Four Seasons by Vivaldi, 30 Oct 2013
This very popular piece of music is performed by Nigel Kennedy who is a real virtuoso and it is areal joy to listen to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recording, 29 Sep 2013
I recommend this recording. At times perhaps too much reverb, but overall effect is fantastic. A great recording for the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars soothing music, 13 Jun 2013
great cd great price great delivery what else can I say. would recommend to classic music lovers. worried about it being second hand was like new

5.0 out of 5 stars vivaldi, 25 April 2013
Mrs. Marion Balderstone (England, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a tape I already had. Needless to say, I am very pleased with it and often play this CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best rendition I've heard., 19 Dec 2000
By A Customer
Simply one of the best renditions of any piece of music I've ever heard. Timeless. I am buying another copy because my cassette tape wore out long ago. Once you hear Kennedy's version, the rest just cannot compare for techincal brilliance and inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Nigel Kennedy. Need I say more!, 8 Jun 2013
I bought this CD as a gift. The person who received it, loves it.

In Life, Nigel Kennedy is an annoying self publicist who I find mildly repulsive. I love Rock music, and Jazz, as well as Classical, and I find similar personalities in all these genres. Some are incredibly talented musicians who, when playing their instruments, transcend these traits in their personality. Others, although technically brilliant, cannot "lose" themselves, and subsume their talents, to the music. And to my ears, this comes over, loud and clear, in Kennedy's recording. It's all about him, being the Mockney geezer, and brilliant with it.

I had two recordings, neither of which I'd heard before; one by Kennedy, the other by an equally talented violinist and orchestra, and asked a friend to play them to me, "blind". Within 100 bars, I knew which one I preferred...... And it wasn't the Kennedy!. Don't get me wrong. It's wonderfully performed, and recorded, and I certainly wouldn't discount the talent & gusto it's performed with. But, to my ears, it's VIVALDI's music, not Kennedy's!.

Each to their own, I guess!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointing, 3 Nov 2013