5.0 out of 5 stars 'One Of The Most Beautiful Records Ever Made'
Published on 14 May 2007 by Antony May

3.0 out of 5 stars OK I SUPPOSE
Apart from the track Summertime this is a pretty ordinary CD that just plods along. Infact this is one of those album that even though I have had this album a few years now, I could not tell you whats on it. As its made no impact on me what so ever, but saying that its better than the album Reading Writing & Arithmetic.
Published on 1 April 2010 by Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 'One Of The Most Beautiful Records Ever Made', 14 May 2007
Antony May (East Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
After two albums of varying quality, with 'Static And Silence' The Sunday's finally got the balance between 'indie folk noodling' and 'commerciality' dead right. All of the songs on this album have a distinct personality of their own yet as a whole they fit together as part of one of the greatest albums of all time. Single 'Summertime' is just about as magnificent an upbeat yet whistful ode to the summer as has been recorded while conversely the other single 'Cry' has an overpowering sentimentality about it that just cannot fail to touch you and bring a tear to you eye. Harriet Wheeler's voice is superb throughout this album and for once (I feel her voice was rather 'lost' on their previous albums) her and David Gavurin's production really brings the beauty and variation in her voice to the forefront of the mix. Two superb, but totally different, tracks 'Homeward' and 'Folk Song' litterally drip with emotion and serve best to highlight what I mean about Harriet's vocals. 'Another Flavour' has a 'How Soon Is Now' sound to it and will appeal to those sensitive to our Mozzer's most emotional works, as will the hauntingly beautiful 'When I'm Thinking About You'. The use of orchestration really adds to the atmospheric nature of the songs too and (I feel) gives the overall sound the 'body' the duo's previous albums were lacking. If you like, whistful, intelligent, acoustic folk with a slightly commercial edge you simply must buy this album, you won't find a better one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 May 2010
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
I was aware of this band in the late 90's, I bought their tapes and among them this one. I really liked it back then and a couple of months ago I decided to to replace my long forgotten tape for the cd. And the music, the tricky arrangements, chords progressions, harriet's voice, melodies etc, everything is just perfect for a quiet and relaxing afternoon.
If you like something that could give you some peace of mind, not boring at all that can manage to keep your attention for it's 40 something minutes...then this is your choice. Too bad they never released anything else. Even their b-sides were great.
Enjoy it!.
regards,
Polo

5.0 out of 5 stars Time has told.., 13 Feb 2004
J. Rowe "Satieklimt" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
Mystifyingly lacklustre reviews when it was originally released. It's one of the most richly melodic and satisfying albums you'll ever here by one of our most distinctive songwriters (David Gavurin)coupled with one of our finest female voices (Harriet Wheeler). The disappointing element of the album is how low in the mix Harriet's voice often is.Once you're 'into' the Sundays they become a lifelong joy. Their next album is highly anticipated even after all these years. This year perhaps David and Harriet?...Please!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have this album...., 14 Jan 2004
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
I have been listening to The Sundays for more years then I care to remember. I was introduced to them by a friend I used to know. Sadly I don't see them any more, but if I did, each time we met I would shake them by the hand and thank them for this gift.
It's been reffered to me as "Girls Music" and "Empty Pop", but I don't care! To build a picture of the contrast in my musical tastes I own albums from Luther Van Dross(yes, I know) to the Yeah yeah yeahs. The Sundays aren't my favorite band, but it is close.
I have all of the albums, but this one is my favourite (it flits between RW&A and this one, but only for a very short time!). There isn't a song on the album which isn't beautifully written, played and sang. Two of my favourites would be "Homeward" and "I Can't wait". The melody and lyrics seem to compliment each other in a typically english way, which would rival strawberries and cream. There is no otherway to describe it other then beautiful. It wont kick your a$$, but it will make you have that feeling of innocence, sunshine and roses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure poetry, 20 Jun 2000
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
This is by far the most sophisticated offering from this understated album-every-five-years band. Harriet's voice is as haunting as ever, this time enhancing richer melodies than the Sundays previous efforts. The use of guitar is particularly imaginative, combining rock, folk and indie sounds. Each song stands as on it's own rather than degenerating in to album track-ville, and each melody is beautifully wrapped with poignant, incisive lyrics. This album truly offers an aesthetic experience; it provides that curious can't-put-your-finger-on mixture of melancholy, nostalgia and optimism which only music can give. Listen in awe to Monochrome. Pure poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
Albums like this reaffirm my faith in pop music. When you finally think that the pathetic drivel which populates the vast majority of the charts has signaled the death of the genre, the stunning melodies of The Sundays remind you that real musical talent still exists. 'Musical' being the key word - the beautiful songs on this record are a testament to the band's skill in crafting a simple yet perfect sound. To their credit, they haven't diverted from what they do best, and this album sits comfortably with the others, matching the perfection of older songs such as 'You're not the only one I know'. Stand out track here must be 'When I'm thinking about you', whose chorus surely ranks among the best I've heard. I simply can't understand the damning reviews I've read of this album elsewhere - fans of the band will certainly not be disappointed, nor should anyone with an ear for a good sound be. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE GET BACK TOGETHER, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
I love all the albums by the Sundays

They are all time classics and I will never tire of her beautiful voice

There has never been another band like these....or does anyone know?

I am a fan of Alanis, Sixpence who also make timeless classics, anyone share my views or am I unique?

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost classic..., 19 April 2010
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
You have to feel slightly sorry for the Sundays. The band's first album was released on indie label Rough Trade who subsquently went under soon after, forcing the band into self management and scratching around for another record label. That "difficult" second album was put out when the British music scene was at one of it's lowest grungiest ebbs and just when The Sunday's third record finally hit the shops in 1997 the Britpop party was all but over - even the sublime single "Summertime" was rush released in early September(!) that year...somethings, I guess, are just not meant to be.

Despite the past problems The Sundays never sounded better than on their third album "Static and Silence". Gone was the slightly awkward bedsit charm of their debut "Reading, Writing and Arithmetic" and the stilted production/buried vocals of second album "Blind" instead we have eleven beautifully crafted folk/pop classics which simply soar out of your speakers and leave you desperate for more. Harriet Wheeler's voice is perfection, "Summertime" and "Leave This City" show a new found maturity, all the Morrissey/Cocteau influence replaced by the laidback cool of Van Morrison circa "Astral Weeks". Wheeler's lyrics also never sounded stronger, "Monochrome" is a wonderful lament to childhood innocence, nostagic and magical. "Another Flavour", possibly a comment on the band's flirtation with fame, is as barbed and world weary as it is clever.

David Gavurin's excellent songwriting never lets itself sink into self indulgence and his songs are bright and melodic. The stand out tracks "Folk Song" and "Cry" are complemented by big, lush orchestral scores which seem to elevate them to another level, as usual the band play with confidence and clarity respecting simplcity of the songs to great effect. When Gavurin's guitar lets loose on the Nigel Godrich produced "She" the result is superb, one can only wonder how the whole album would have sounded with Godrich at the helm. The Sundays left us on a high. This album is quite simply one of the great lost albums of the nineties. Five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as their first album..., 5 Aug 2009
Douglas Rae - See all my reviews
Great little album this.

It's not quite as good as their first album which would be difficult to top given how different that sounded when it was released back in the early nineties.

This is a more commercial sounding album - it obviously would be given that by this time they had tasted enough success for the producers to spend a bit more time getting a more polished sound.

There are some great tracks on here - a lot of them I'm sure I'd heard before somewhere which may be the case or it might be that the album just manages to capture that familiar Sundays sound.

Either way, if you've got Reading, Writing and Arithmetic and you rate that, then this is an essential purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 15 Mar 2007
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
I first heard about The Sundays after discovering them on a Buffy the Vampire compilation. (Sorry 'bout that !). I bought the first album and was blown away by the enchanting voice of Harriet Wheeler.

This album mellows out her impact but imparts a more mature and grown up sound. RWA was an insant hit for me, but this album is a grower by comparison and if I had to choose one album to keep, (my 20gb Ipod is full btw), it would be this one - it's that good.

Sit back and be prepared to be taken to another place....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›