5.0 out of 5 stars Luther has entered the 21st century
Published on 15 May 2000 by petercooper@tinyworld.co.uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Must try harder!
Published on 10 Sep 2003 by J R BROWN

5.0 out of 5 stars Luther has entered the 21st century, 15 May 2000
This review is from: I Know (Audio CD)
Luther has entered the 21st century with this his first album with Virgin carrying the same classy style fans have come to love and expect but with a fresh quality that makes me wonder why have I only just "discovered" this 1998 release. Every track is worthy of being released as a single, but to my knowledge has not. More airplay would have surely guaranteed high chart positions, especially for the upbeat "Nights in Harlem", the haunting "Dream Lover" and beautiful title track, "I Know". There are no familiar tracks, the only cover being "When I Need You" (remember Leo Sayer's huge hit-well this one is MUCH better), so if your'e looking for a "typical" Luther album which contains half the tracks you already have on other albums then this one's not for you, if you're looking for an exciting new Luther album which is fantastic from start to finish then buy it, you definitely wont be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars listen again please, 4 Mar 2006
Geoffrey Huxtable (LLANHARAN, MID GLAMORGAN United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Know (Audio CD)
reviewers come and go but class is permanent. from the uplifting opening number - keeping my faith in you - through all the rest, this is an example of luthers vocally perfect ability. i like to sing on a karaoke. i have won a few competitions. but you try and sing like him. it cant be done. now to prove the point, luther did cover a lot of songs and he did that because he could. how many of his songs have been covered by other artists? indeed i think his version of the leo sayer classic - when i need you - is a million times better than the original. and thats on this album! and is worth the price on its own. so please listen again.

4.0 out of 5 stars replacement, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: I Know (Audio CD)
Bought as a replacement as the other copy i have which was bought brand new and jumped on one track.So bought this one used and is a better copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley Great!!, 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: I Know (Audio CD)
This is a top quality album here by Luther Vandross. There is a good mix of slow ballads, mid-tempo grooves, and up-tempo r&b bangers. There are also some good collaborations with Precise, Stevie Wonder, Cassandra Wilson & the Love Fellowship Gospel Choir. Luther's voice is great and the production and lyrical content is wholesome. There isn't a bad track on here. My favourites though, are 'Keeping My Faith In You', 'Religion', 'Get It Right', 'I'm Only Human', 'Dreamlover', 'I Know', 'Are You Mad At Me?' 'When I Need You' (way better than the original version from the '70's) & of course the first single that was released, 'Nights in Harlem'. A 'must buy' for any Luther Vandross fan, and a 'must buy' even if you are not!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Must try harder!, 10 Sep 2003
This review is from: I Know (Audio CD)
OK, so artists have bleak periods in their careers when they can't find a record company that can help them to flourish, they can't write a song that is as good as their first few hits and they sound a bit tired. If I had to choose a Luther album to highlight his bleak period it would have to be this one. 'I Know' is bland at best and extremely tedious at worst. Standout tracks (and it's not an extensive list) read as follows: 'Keeping My Faith In You' - one of the finest songs he's recorded in recent years, it's a mid tempo ballad complete with a choir to help him out and a very catchy chorus and verses. 'Religion' - is a song and a story, which makes you think about diversity in life and how different people find their own ways to cope, and erm.....that's it. Two good songs does not equate to a good album. It was Luther's first album for Virgin (look what happened to Mariah in their hands) he's trying too much to be hip, the songs have no melodies and it all just ends up being dull. I'm a fan of Luther, but I am also the kind of music fan that can admit when an album is rubbish. Steer clear of this one and go from 'Songs' to 'Dance With My Father' - now there's a classy album.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Know CD, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Know (Audio CD)
Not up to Zoverstocks usual standard - the case was dirty and broken and the CD needed cleaning with Isopropyl - at the price it was not a big problem and the CD plays OK.

I Know