5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!
Published on 7 May 2002 by vica_kepei@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Manchester Evening Blues
Manchester's Doves are a strange bunch. From their early 90s pop act Sub Sub to 1999's epic debut 'Lost Souls', here is a band that changes its musical ideas faster than Beckham can say 'Damn there goes my third metatarsel'. The Last Broadcast is an interesting album certainly. Soulful? Yes. Epic? For sure. Defining? Probably not. You see, the problem with this album is...
Published on 5 May 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!, 7 May 2002
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
I don't often buy albums on a whim but last week, somehow I found myself buying The Last Broadcast based on nothing more than a good magazine review (mind you, they only gave it 4 stars...), having heard only one song by the Doves (Catch The Sun). I don't know what made me get this album...but I'm glad I did! It hasn't left my CD player since I bought it - it's one of those albums that is impossible to overkill, it just gets better with every listen. You can compare it to many bands, U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, James, Starsailor, The Verve - a very illustrious company in my opinion, but the real achievement is that it never once makes you think "I've heard this before".
It's hard to pick outstanding songs, simply because they are all fantastic! Numbers like "Words", "There goes the fear", "Pounding" and "The sulphur man" sweep you away with their soaring melodies and amazing wall of sound. "The last broadcast" and "Friday's dust" are the best examples of the often underrated beauty of melancholy songs since Street Spirit. "Satellites" with its gospel harmonies and heartfelt lyrics is my (current) favourite, together with "Caught by the river" providing a mesmerising finish to a gorgeous album. I am not at all surprised that every reviewer has given the album five stars - buy it and you will know why. I am going to get Lost Souls at the first opportunity...and the Doves' next album cannot come soon enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doves Take Flight!!!!, 6 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
What do you do when you release one of the best meloncholic guitar albums of the last decade...? Why you go ahead and create a breathtaking heart- warmer of a sophomore album. That's what!
'Lost Souls' , Doves' debut release has had a near permanent spot in my CD player since the magical day I bought it about a year ago.
Now it has a very tough rival. 'The Last Broadcast'. As a whole it has a sense of maturity well ahead of it's predecessor.
It opens with 'Intro' , pretty much a classy instrumental warm up for the following song 'Words'. When the guitar first burst into the song it literally had me smiling. They were back!!
Next is the ripper of a first single 'There Goes the Fear' , it's reminiscent of The Stone Roses and goes for nearly 7 minutes. But it feels like barely 3, it just gets you going.
The standout track is definitely 'Pounding' , a blistering power blast that genuinely makes you feel good, happy and yes - GLAD TO BE ALIVE!!!
'Friday's Dust' is a gentle finger-picked acoustic similar to 'A House' from Lost Souls, only better. It features a Brass and Woodwind which makes you tingle all over.
Other highlights include the hauntingly beautiful title track and the optimistic melodic closer 'Caught By The River'.
If anything this album will prove the brilliance of these guys , and hopefully get them the respect they truly deserve and move into the stratosphere of class alongside Radiohead.
So please - STOP READING REVIEWS AND ORDER THIS ALBUM RIGHT NOW! - no way you'll regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 26 Mar. 2003
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
How this album has not won countless awards is simply beyond me, it is as my introduction suggests an aural masterpiece.
Doves had been seen with 'Lost Souls' as shoe gazers ploughing out good, but pretty down beat songs. Well, news for one and all, 'The Last Broadcast' will not have you singing from the rafters on a sunny day, but it is a truly uplifting experience.
Kicking of properly with 'Words', a bright chiming guitar riff drives the song along with an optimism unheard of when Doves are mentioned.
This is then lifted even higher with one of the singles of 2002, 'There Goes The Fear', a seven minute masterclass of songwriting, lyrically and musically it smashes boundaries of quality pop writing to bits.
From then on, things remain at this peak. 'M62 Song', 'New York' and then the magnificent 'Sattelites', could it get any better? Yes: 'Pounding' does exactly what it says in the title. A driving drum beat pushes this fantastic song along towards it's totally irresistable chorus.
To finish off with a medley of winners like 'Last Broadcast', 'Sulphur Man' and the wonderful 'Caught By the River' simply add to what this CD / album is:
Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars As special as everyone is saying, 19 May 2002
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
I've just bought this album, from the strength of the reviews on this site. I certainly wasn't disappointed, with the CD now a permananent tennant of my stereo. Doves are yet another great band from Manchester (my home town) which will be celebrated 15 years from now for their genius, just as The Stone Roses and The Smiths are now.
As great as the album is, I still don't think Doves have fully realised their potential. Their debut, Lost Souls was also an amazing record but this one has bettered it so you can only guess at what wonders they will unleash on their third. You can also only guess at what success will do to the band - either drag them into commercial mediocrity a'la Oasis, or destroy their writing equilibrium and effectively bring an end to the band, just as The Smiths experienced.
But enough of thinking about possible unfortunate endings for Doves, for we're in 2002, and they've delivered possibly the best album of 2002. Seriously, every one of these 5 star reviews give the record justice and all the reviews under 5 stars should just be ignored. It's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Doves made a masterpiece - The Best Album Of 2002, 26 April 2002
RadioMad (VENRAY, - Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
I just bought and listened Doves'latest offort, entitled 'The Last Broadcast', and I'm speechless. That's why I decided to write about it. Fair enough, right?
The album hits off with a hypnotic instrumental intro, just before bursting into 'Words'; a fantastic upbeat anthem. A definite candidate for a future single release. It's got a thrilling rhythm, which just repeats itself over and over again.
Speaking of singles, first single 'There Goes The Fear' is next. A wonderful epic. It did very well in the UK Charts (#3), and listening to it just can't help but make you wonder why it didn't went straight to #1 instead. If this doesn't get you going, I don't know what does. Simply stunning!
'M62 Song' is a sweet 'summerish' acoustic track, resembling 'Road Trippin' by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Lovely.
'Where Were Calling From', another instrumental track, sounds like Doves calling out for us from space.
'N.Y.'(or 'New York') was actually the very first track I got to hear from this album. This song actually made me want to check this album out. A great upbeat track, jammed with marvellous sound effects and powerful riffs.
'Satellites' is a heartwarming centerpiece of the album. I don't know why, but it reminds me of 'Yellow' by Coldplay, but maybe it's just me talking silly. Anyway, it's a great track.
I love the guitars in 'Friday's Dust'; a very beautiful, melodic track. I think this track might have been the most experimental bit the band pulled in making this album. It sounds great.
'Pounding is just plain and simply... well... pounding. It's one of those feelgood songs, and definitely one of the album's highlights.
Title track 'Last Broadcast' is next. If Doves named the album after this track, it's destined to be a special one. And it sure is! "So here we are with the last broadcast", moans singer Jimi Goodwin. It just simply amazes me how they do it.
'The Sulphur Man' is jammed with haunting sound effects. Art, simply... art. Another highlight, and another potential single.
Closing track 'Caught By The River' starts off with a jangly guitar tune, and soon after exploses into a brilliant tune, which tends to go on and on forever (like 'There Goes The Fear'). fan-tas-tic!
And then... nothing! I can't believe it's actually over! I want more! I guess there's nothing left for me to do but to listen to it again, and again, and again..
'The Last Broadcast' is a definite grower, and Doves' future seems already planned out for them. They are sure to become huge with this stunner.
Best album of 2002, without a doubt. I don't care how many great albums will follow this year, but this is IT! This, dear readers, says it all.
The soundtrack of your lives! 'Nough said...

4.0 out of 5 stars Second time lucky, 1 Jan. 2003
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
Lost Souls was alright. There were no hooks on it - it took a listen or two for me to even like the brilliant Man Who Told Everything - but there was class beneath the defiant obscurity, such as Sea Song and Lost Souls.
What we have on The Last Broadcast is a load of songs that really do grab you instantly. This is not to say any of them are braindead commercial stadium-fillers. Even There Goes The Fear, the band's breakthrough single, feels like a serenade with its opening tune... and 6 minutes into it, it still doesn't feel like it's outstayed its welcome. Other singles Pounding and Caught By The River also display a brilliantly tuneful sense of euphoria that today's dance albums would probably like to produce, but fail to do so. It's uplifting in every sense.
Some of it could be seen as depressing. Friday's Dust is dark, but (for a change) not at all in a Radiohead way, and not in a way that makes it unpleasant at all. M62 Song sounds raw and real, giving it that extra classic "surely that's an old song" sound. And The Last Broadcast, which sounds a bit like Golden Brown of the 21st Century, has it's happier moments anyway.
Those songs aside, it's generally happiness all the way. The lyrics of Words are deliberately cheerful ("Words, they mean nothing so you can't hurt me") and the rather standard but powerful sounding ones of Satellites ("Satellites ahead, so hold on"). One or two songs manage to sound quite different to what you're going to encounter on the radio - the gospel "ooh"s of Satellites and dramatic chords of The Sulphur Man, for example. N.Y is more standard (often compared to Oasis) style singing, which is probably the song that took longest to stick in my head. But it all ends up sounding still like Indie territory, done with a polished smile that is not often found in such music. Doves are soulful, euphoric and even exciting. Think Coldplay with more of a pulse.
This is far better than Lost Souls, and has a completely different perspective to the previous album. The only reason I don't give it 5 is because the opening weirdness of Intro and similar instrumental aimlessness of Where We're Calling From feels like a step behind the rest of the material here. They are almost certainly in the mould of Lost Souls, and that's quite a shame as if they wanted to do something instrumental, they should have leaned more towards Firesuite than Reprise.
So overall, happy and spiritual, yet still grounded and familiar. You'll sing along, you'll feel lifted and you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A handful of light, 13 Mar. 2004
Break (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
Beautiful stuff. This is a finely crafted album whose music buzzes with the unreal, the magical and the hopeful. The summery optimism in 'Words' is infectious, while the haunting 'M62 song' transports you instantly to a dream world in which mundane reality and something more special rub shoulders. (I might add that both of these tracks are beautifully illustrated inside the album cover with pictures of this landscape in which everything shines with a strange unearthly light.) This is an album to make you feel special, hopeful and inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 22 Jan. 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
The Doves set the bar high in "Lost Souls," but they jump that high again in "The Last Broadcast." While not being repetitive, the Manchester band follows the basics of its debut -- epic, mind-blowing pop tunes, but this time around they have a new enthusiasm and positivity. In a word, it's a budding Britpop classic.
A panoramic instrumental "Intro" opens the album, luring you in with a crystalline melody. Prepare to be hooked within a minute and a half. Then comes the forceful, riff-driven "Words," which announces that "words they mean nothing/so you can't hurt me!" Then there's an epic rocker in "There Goes the Fear" and folkier in "M62 Song," before the tempo changes.
The softer side of the Doves is revealed in the ethereal, almost orchestral "Where We're Calling From," and the eerie, trembling grandeur of "Friday's Dust." But the highlight of the entire album is undoubtedly the expansive, goosebump-inducing "Sulphur Man," with its backdrop of shimmering strings, glockenspiel and rising synths.
Britpop has now been more or tagged as Radiohead and Coldplay -- both lovely bands, but not representative of all British pop and rock. The Doves have an entirely different sound, haunting and rocking all at once. But this time, rather than being depressed, they rock out with a bit of a smile. Not a huge one, but a passionate one.
Keyboards mixed with percussion and guitar riffs are nothing new, but they sound very fresh when the Doves play them that way. Especially when they break out the string section -- violins, viola, cello, and more. Musically they run the gamut from old-fashioned rock, to stately psychedelica, to the gospel flavour of "Satellite."
The vocals are wonderfully suited to the expansive music -- pensive and a little sweet, and usually very thoughtful-sounding. And the songwriting has a simplicity and depth that most rock and pop music doesn't have -- "Pills stop you, stopped you from feeling life/Fall into a hole/Sympathy and all/A soul in tatters/A soul black as coal/I hope, I hope/I wish you could find what matters."
"The Last Broadcast" is a lot like the album cover -- dark and yet light, beautiful and sparkling, with a slightly unreal look. The Doves don't disappoint in their sophomoe album, and show plenty of musical promise for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best album of 2002 so far, 20 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
It's not often that I buy an album on the basis of just on single, but having read stunning reviews of The Last Broadcast I decided to take a gamble.
It was certainly one worth taking, as this album is a real revelation. I can't compare it to their first album, because I've never heard Lost Souls, but that's not important. What is important is that this is a genre-defining album, one that will soundtrack not just this year but many to come.
It opens with a minute and a half of crescendoing chimes, which give way to Words, the first proper track. It is a bright, breezy slice of summer pop, driven by a mesmeric ostinato, and a very impressive beginning. Like many tracks here, it is very long (nearly 6 minutes) but it never feels like it is dragging. There Goes The Fear, the #3 single, is next, and explores scintillating new territory. Again based on repeated patterns, it starts as a mellow ballad, but as it progresses through its full seven minutes it takes on an increasingly carnival flavour, and ends, intriguingly, with a thirty-second samba drum solo.
There are numerous other standouts. The new single, Pounding, is my personal favourite on the album (great video too). Capturing effortlessly the feelgood air of summer ('We'll sleep at sunrise/We'll sleep by the ocean'), it literally pounds along, and is a truly exhiliarating rock song, sounding like a fantastic hybrid of U2, Ash and REM (if that's possible). The final track, Caught By The River, is another excellent tune, flowing like a country stream through layers of fluffy acoustic guitar. And Satellites, equipped with a gospel choir so powerful it sounds like the band have hired a whole continent to sing with them, is an epic, sweeping, soaring ballad.
NY wants desperately to be Oasis, but doesn't quite hit its targets, and drags on at the end a little. Friday's Dust and M62 Song are both desolate and tender but veer ever so slightly towards the 'musical wallpaper' end of the spectrum. But on an album this good, it's easy to forgive slight weaknesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars "my god, it's full of guitars", 29 April 2002
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
i still can't get my head round this.... after destroying all other acts in the early 90's with the dance classic "space face", these guys [aka subsub] turned their back on the dance scene and conjured up the brilliant "lost souls", which was far removed from the rave scene that made them famous in an "underground" sort of way. I've waited in anticipation for the second album, hoping that they kept what made them so special the first time round.
"the last broadcast" arrived on my doormat this morning, i eagerly slapped it into the cd player and was instantly mesmerised. Once again the intro track builds nicely and launches into the ridesque "words". From there it gets infinately better, a brief stop at the M62, then off to N.Y., each track is brilliantly executed with gorgeous layers of swish melodies and absorbing lyrics.
"last broadcast" is more mature than lost souls, Doves have perfected their sound and moved it further on than the previous offering. This album secures them a spot in the top 5 manchester bands of all time, I doubt i'll remove this from my playlist for a long,long time... I suggest if you liked even 1 secord of "lost souls" that you go buy this immediately, you won't regret it.

The Last Broadcast