5.0 out of 5 stars heaven
A spirit raising performance of an absolutely wonderful work. Just goes to prove that the Devil does not have all the best tunes.
Should be in every music lovers library.
Published on 20 May 2010 by J. James

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong choir for a Rossinian work
Published on 9 Oct 2010 by Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars heaven, 20 May 2010
J. James - See all my reviews
Should be in every music lovers library.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong choir for a Rossinian work, 9 Oct 2010
For me the best element of this version is the piano playing by the Labèque sisters, expressive, shapely, immaculate, stylish. The two female soloists are often singing out of tune, The tenor is not very exciting in his Domine Deus. But most of all, the problem is the choir, completely out of style, sterile in its inexpressive precision. Typically,the children and their master do not understand the latin text, the need for phrasing, let alone of Rossinian style of interpretation vitally needed for such a work. The fugues are flat in rendition, dull and samey: just empty notes, in other words. Depriving such a piece of its power of meaning couldn't be further from what Rossini would have wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most joyful music to lift the heart, 16 Mar 2010
I bought this having heard it chosen as a favourite work by Anthony Julius on Desert Isalnd Discs. I could not get the theme out of my head even after one hearing and I have bought many copies for friends and play it all the time, the music is heavenly and happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual but moving performance!, 1 Jun 2013
Until last week this was a work I did not know. As I am accompanist for our local choral society and will be playing the harmonium for a performance in the autumn, I now have the score and the CD! As a great fan of Kings Choir and the English choral tradition in general, this recording was a no-brainer. However, the combination of very operatic soloists in the Italian tradition and the super-smooth sound of Kings Choir is rather strange but effective in a way, probably bacause it is all done so musically! The accompaniment of pianists and harmonium is brilliant although it is still strange to hear this choir accompanied by piano. Above all, this glorious music brings a wonderful smile to the face. Roll on rehearsals in September!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely choir, soloists less so., 13 Nov 2011
I love the Rossini Petite Messe Solennelle, (which is neither petite nor solennelle, but long and joyous) and I bought this to help me learn the choruses. I thought that, contrary to some of the reviews I have read, the choir sang well; I particularly enjoyed the Sanctus. However, I did not enjoy listening to the soloists at all. The soprano and alto have very strong, almost forced voices, and would be better off in a Wagner production, while the tenor sounds very strangled. I would rather try another recording if I were choosing again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 26 Mar 2013
Bought as a gift for a choir member, and apparently it is an excellent guide as the choir are rehearsing this number.

5.0 out of 5 stars Petite Messe Solennelle, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Rossini: Stabat Mater - Petite Messe Solennelle (MP3 Download)
This is the most beautiful recording of the Petite Messe. The piano playing is sensitive, and very moving. The singing is glorious and why I have not had this piece in my library of favourites long ago I cannot imagine. I am looking forward to accompanying a choral society for a concert in the near future and I am overjoyed to have been asked to join them in this marvellous work by Rossini.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Dec 2012
Beautiful Rossini. A mass that you will love if you like opera. Fantastic conductor, excellent performance and very good recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this, 5 Sep 2010
M. Jones - See all my reviews
I heard this piece on the radio a few weeks ago and it knocked me out, so I had to order it. Overjoyed to be able to listen to it again and again. What wonderful music! As an improvising pianist I am lost in wonder at the organising skill of the composer, plus the technical skill of the performers. Go get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rossini - Petite messe solonnelle, 8 Nov 2011
An excellent copy of this piece of music. As a member of a choir it has helped me learning the part, is clear and easy to listen to and nice to be able to follow the music in the score simply.

Very good

Rossini: Stabat Mater - Petite Messe Solennelle
Rossini: Stabat Mater - Petite Messe Solennelle by Stephen Cleobury/Riccardo Muti
Buy MP3 Album5.99