5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, soothing music that shock-proofs the soul
I'll leave the technical jargon and expert knowledge to Amazon's own reviewer, and just add that this music is beautiful, light and uplifting. To prepare yourself for the daily struggle with snarling traffic, uncaring bosses or cloddish colleagues, play this before you don your armour and unlock the front door.
Mr Andsnes' performance is exquisite, the atmosphere...
Published on 23 Nov 2002 by Dobester

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised
There is nothing wrong with the recording. It was described as "complete Grieg lyric pieces"; however it is only a selection of pieces and did not include "Elfin Dance" which my grand daughter is learning as an exam piece and was the reason for buying the CD.
Published 2 months ago by David Ashley

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, soothing music that shock-proofs the soul, 23 Nov 2002
Dobester (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
Mr Andsnes' performance is exquisite, the atmosphere caught in the recordings will transform your living room into a tranquil Nordic study, and the fact that it has all been played and recorded as Grieg would have heard it himself adds to the near-magic of the disc. An absolute stunner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Leif Ove Andsnes, 5 July 2003
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
The excellent performance of Andsnes makes Griegs piano music go straight to your hearth. These are some of the best pieces by Grieg which Andsnes has recorded using Griegs old Steinway at Troldhaugen, Griegs home in Bergen.The majority of the music performed was composed here, and Andsnes delivers the Lyrical pieces with flair,intimacy,and the style which is his trademark.All done on a piano with a very rich middle register considering its age. It is just to sit back and relax as the music fills your hearth and soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leif Ove Andsnes, 28 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
I saw Leif Ove Andsnes in concert and he played some of the Grieg Lyric Pieces. I was so impressed by his playing and the music that I purchased the CD from you. It is one of my favourites. He has a wonderful technique and such crisp playing, especially at speed but always maintains the spirit of the music and the quiter pieces have such feeling. He has to be my favourite pianist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic tranquility, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
I bought this disc after buying Leif Ove Andsnes' recording of the Greig & Schumann piano concertos - I'd already got both of them by several other artists, but I like to compare the different interpretations by playing them back to back (sad I know!) and I loved the free and lyrical way in which he played them - I'd never heard anything by him before. This disc is absolutely charming - just what it says on the tin - lyrical. Delightful, lively, gentle, angst free music that is exquisitely played. I'm no musicologist, no even a musician, so I can only review this as a listener, but the music has what I can only call 'presence'. Whether this is due to the fact that it's played on Greig's own piano in Greig's house, I don't know, but the sound quality is so true and tangible that it almost feels as if the piano is actually being played in my house - lovely.
I hate it when people say 'Oh I listen to music all the time - I have it on whatever I'm doing' - how can you 'listen' when you're doing the ironing or reading a book? I'm ashamed to say it but I have to eat my words because this music is just perfect for doing the ironing, peeling the spuds or any of those humdrum jobs we need to do everyday Poor Greig, he must have worked so hard to produce this lovely music, and simply 'lovely' it is, something that's in short supply these days. I remember from my childhood it's the sort of music my mother listened to on the Third Programme whilst doing her housework back in the 1950s - happy, tranquil days. Aaaahhh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!..., 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
Leif Ove Andsnes is a major pianist in our time. The "Lyric Pieces" is an absolutely reference of Grieg's piano music. For me it's a cheap travel to Norway. Indispensable in any collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
I bought this CD to assist in my interpretation if some of Grieg's works, which I'm currently learning. It's definitely helped me with that and it's just lovely to listen to, as well. I've not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect antidote to 21st Century living., 2 July 2004
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
If you like piano music you will adore this collection of Griegs
masterpieces. Idealy listened to after a dreadful days work flat out on your leather three seater settee ( on your own ) , let the
fantastic chords , from Griegs own instrument, bombard your senses with pure calm and instill a feeling of bliss and ecstasy
throughout your Soul.Tracks 9 ,14 and 19 are particularly mind-blowing, not forgetting 4 which will wake you up if you have drifted off. I can thoroughly recommend this CD , in fact it is so good it should be available on Prescription. BUY IT NOW!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonbons from the Chopin of the North, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful performance, and fully deserves its Penguin Rosette. Grieg gained the title 'the Chopin of the North', and this disk shows why. His style is different from Chopin's, but this disk makes me feel that, at his best, he may be Chopin's equal. "Wedding Day" is included, Grieg's show-stopper, which is the equal of Chopin's big works. The other pieces are, indeed, lyric, and match Chopin's lighter pieces for beauty and inventiveness. Debussy, who Grieg anticipated in many ways, described one piece as 'a pink bonbon containing snow'. This is an apt description, if slightly too critical. I would suggest that sorbets is involved, rather than just plain snow, at least in Andsnes' hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure heaven., 25 Feb 2007
Mr. C. R. Grant "Chris Grant" (Portsmouth Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
Doint let the fact that the piano is over 100 years old put you off from buying this disc, the sound is what i call a "real piano sound" and not the very bright "highly strung" sound of the modern Steinway, what a wonderfull rich tone it has throught its range, a lovely full base and a clear singing treble. Put it on and let your troubles melt away, A truly beautiful recording played by a great pianist on a wounderful instrement.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/8, 10 Sep 2009
Torbjørn Lygre "ebl" (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Audio CD)
This is a very good CD from Leif Ove Andsnes, but if you will have all of these pieces go for Einar Steen-Nøkleberg on Naxos. Better sound on The Naxos cds.
Nore much, but a little more. I'm from Grieg hometown. I have seen an listen too Andsnes live. He played the A-minor piano concerto. You must buy the Grieg DVD with Andsnes. It's brilliant!

Grieg: Lyric Pieces